E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

'01 E320 -- too many repair issues, probably my last one

Old 07-02-2007, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'84 911 Carrera & '01 E320
I'm so tired of fixing the little annoying problems this car has provided me with that I am selling my Porsche because I have lost the desire to work on ANY car.
Once I sell it, i will put that $$ together with this beast as a nice down payment on something else.

I've been eyeballing the SRT8 Charger, but it might have a few too many W210 chassis/drivetrain parts to satisfy my need to get rid of this German turd.
+++
Old 07-03-2007, 11:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
88 535is, 89 318iT
Originally Posted by dan_cobb
I'm so tired of fixing the little annoying problems this car has provided me with that I am selling my Porsche because I have lost the desire to work on ANY car.
At least your Porch has Motronic! You wouldn't want my fleet. Three CIS cars, including a 1974 SAAB 99 race car, and 83 911 race car. Ugh.
I do enjoy the 911, though, since it's pretty easy to work on and only takes an hour to get the engine out. I digress...
Old 07-05-2007, 10:23 AM

You're right there. Knowing how difficult it can be to maintain and repair a CIS equipped 911, I would easily have grown tired of 3 CIS cars a LONG time ago.
+++
Old 07-09-2007, 04:22 PM
Almost a Member!

Talking Go buy a Ford

If you are not happy her in MB world, we don't want to keep you here, so go buy a Ford and enjoy.
I love my 01 e320 and they will have to pry the keys from my cold clamy hand.
My girl friend spilled starbucks in my shifter, I limped home, got a new one ($150 US), installed it in 1 hour, then dumped the clutz, and got a new girl friend!
Some people are not made to have Benz's maybe you ( and the girlfriend) are those kind of people.

BG
Old 07-09-2007, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Really funny. It reminds me fanatism.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:27 PM

Newbie with 10 (yep, TEN!) posts apparently doesn't know that the SRT8 Charger is made by DODGE, NOT FORD!

Hmm. Some guys are not made to have girlfriends. Maybe he's that kind of guy.
+++
Old 07-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Almost a Member!

Ok You Win

I wouldn't presume to know what I am talking about.
I do know that I couldn't be more happy. I got rid of my Lexus and got a Benz, and ther is no comparison.
Benz Quality may not be as good as old timers are used to, but it IS in a class of it's own. Nothing can compare to the engineering and design detail of any Benz product, old or new.
There is nothing that you can compare Benz products with, Deal with it!.

BG
Old 07-12-2007, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
1987... 20 years ago, cars were made much better. Washing machines and refridgerators were made to last back then.

20 years ago, a Mercedes-Benz would beat a Honda in terms of reliability without problems.

Today's cars are no longer built like they used to be. Additionally, they're more technologically advanced.

Also, notice the price tag on the Hondas 20 years ago. They've become much more expensive. Now notice the price tag on Mercedes-Benz 20 years ago, it hasn't even kept up with inflation.

Mercedes-Benz vehicles have been consistently cheaper and cheaper every year for the past twenty years while Hondas have grown more and more expensive. At the same time, Honda has improved in quality while Mercedes-Benz has declined in quality. Any surprises?

Not for me.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
Someone else said this better than I can at the moment: If you want to drive a modern MB, be prepared to pay the price. I bought mine as a one-owner CPO barely past the new car warranty period (53,000 miles and ~5 years in service, and paid to extend that to 24/100,000); after 12 months, I have ~63,000 on the car. I have had nothing but minor annoyances with the beast, and I love it!

To all of you who want to vent about your Mercedes, I invite you to join a forum devoted to some other brand of car. Quite honestly, I'm tired of reading your whining comments.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:14 AM

Question

While I certainly can see things from your point of view, as there are several threads here that offer nothing of interest to me at any given time.
I think it is far more appropriate for one to simply NOT READ the threads that bore, bother, offend, criticize, etc. etc. them or their beliefs, than it is to chime in and disrupt the conversation with idle commentary and criticism.

Wouldn't it be easier to simply skip over it?
+++
Old 07-17-2007, 05:01 PM
Almost a Member!

Ooooppppss

My sincere apologies to all.
It WAS rude of me to interrupt your discussion.
By all means continue to trash MB.
It will not happen again.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
Many have heard the perception that MB does not like the idea of drinks in cupholders because you should be driving, not sipping OJ, hence they made that design gaffe in the console.

I'm not sure using robots to assemble cars is a bad thing. I think it ensures quality moreso than having a hung-over person (possibly) doing it. There was a locally famous concept here where the Ford assembly plant turning out pickup trucks was suspect for any unit turned out after lunch. Across the street from the plant (since closed), was Bill's tavern, where large numbers of workers went for their liquid lunch every day. Pickup trucks assembled in the PM were possibly prone to big problems later on.

I do question MB's decision to shave costs on part quality. A great example is the common window regulator failure. MB must save a few cents on every unit by using a plastic pulley wheel instead of aluminum. So we get to spend $60 plus a few hours of time replacing the unit (god forbid if you pay a dealer to do it) when it snaps. And to make matters worse, they spent a bit extra by riveting the same part using aircraft steel instead of perfectly fine aluminum rivets.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Almost a Member!

I have a 2000 E320 with 94,000 miles and have never had one problem. Runs absolutely perfect. I am the second owner and the original maintained it regularly and had the service records to prove it. They are very good cars and I would recommend them to anyone looking for a reliable used car. You will have problems with any kind of car that has been abused or not properly cared for. I have driven almost every car out there and MB is without a doubt my favorite.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Tip

to the new guy.
check the date of the post you reply to
some peeps will think you a newbie for it
And the guy that was dunn is thankfully still with us and has gotten a lot of his issues solved ,I think
ohlord
Old 11-06-2007, 01:56 AM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
1997 E420
Since the thread has been bumped, have to share my story about my own beverage spills. My front passenger window was rolling down on its own after I guess the switches got too much caffeine from my coffee! I was pulled over on the side of the road *begging* the car to STOP IT so I could finish driving home from SF area to Los Angeles. It was getting dark and cold outside so couldn't drive with the window down, nor could I park it with the window down at a motel!

It was like a bad comedy -- the window would go up, I would start to drive, then it would go down 3 inches and stop. Then another inch. Then when I would curse it would go all the way down. I figured out that I could hold the switch down to stop it in whatever position it was, but it wasn't practical to do that for a several hour drive.

Eventually I did just get a hotel room and through careful timing and physical coordination I was able to park the car and yank my key with the window up.

All was well the next day after it had some time to dry out.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:29 PM

2012 E350 coupe Black/Almond, 61k miles in 2020
I thought I'd bump to update:

Since the car was serviced at 95,000, until now with 128,000 miles, there have been no service issues. Just routine maintenance.

I am now going to find an indy repair shop for complex stuff, and use the gas station across from my office for brake/rotor/oil/filter changes. If the indy shop were across the street, I'd use it for everything.

Having re-read this thread, I can agree with those who say that modern cars are more complex than cars from the 70s and 80s. Twice as many moving parts, twice as many things to break and fix, whether Mercedes or Ford or Lexus. I particularly appreciate the repair shop owner who noted that Japanese cars with over 75,000 miles have their fair share of repair issues, and they cost just as much to fix as Mercedes do.

I've decided to go long with this car... perhaps to 200,000 miles. The only thing I'm really missing that I would really like (and would come with a new car) are mp3 player input, and Navigation, both of which I'm sure I can get aftermarket and installed.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:20 PM

2013 Ford C Max Energi, 2013 Cadillac SRX
Glad to hear you've had no recent problems! I've owned a lot of Mercedes over the years and until recently always had them serviced at the dealership, but about a year ago I found a very good indy shop and and what a difference. The cost on almost all my repairs have been about half (or less) than the dealership wanted. I still take my newer C300 because it's under warranty, but other wise I will never use the dealer again. I some how thought an indy wouldn't know what they were doing or may not perform the work correctly, but these guys are just as good as our local dealer (maybe better). With the help of this forum, I've even tackled some items myself!

As for 70's and 80's cars being less complex, I don't want to hear it! I have a 1973 Silver Shadow and a 1989 Silver Spur and you don't even want to hear about the maintance cost of these two beast! These cars can be bought very inexpensively, but get ready for huge repair/maintance cost. You couldn't ask for more complex systems on these things, but then again you were probably talking about mainstream cars.

Last edited by tpowel2; 09-08-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
Dension iPod adapter will get you MP3. At $500 it isn't cheap, but it's a lot less than a new car. A Garmin with suction cup is great for road trips, and very cheap. Otherwise, go integrated Nav unit. It depends if you want steering wheel controls to integrate.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:13 PM

1997 mercedes e300d
Me too!

I too have had several problems with my Mercedes. While I love the looks and ride of the car, I hate the constant maintenance and the arrogant a$$holes at the dealerships. I am having the very same issue, sputtering and losing power with 4 gallons of gas in the tank. I called MercedesUSA and got put off. I have called a dealer and of course they won't tell you anything, but will take your money. I bought my car with 70k on the odometer, complete records, I now have 134k and since I bougth the car, I have spent over $6,000 in repairs and now the interior is falling apart, seat splitting, headliner falling, dash cracking. I maintain the car meticulously, maybe too much so, but the last thing I want to happen is to break down. This is a $45,000 car and should not be falling apart, the car should hold up better!
In comparison, Mercedes, with expensive and proper maintenance should last the equivelant of 2 or 3 lifes of an American car. Mercedes has cut too many corners, over engineers many aspects of the car, and definitely overcharges for repairs. This too is the last Mercedes I will ever own.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:53 AM

E270 CDI
And so is mine.

I am afraid Member DunninLA's problems are quite common now.
My E270 CDI Eleg. 2001 now has 115000km on the dial.
Problems
SRS light coused by a poor designed seat sensor loom I replaced with a proper spiral version. Seats move when you hit potholes , I suppose no potholes on the Autobahn.
Aircon Climate system one side blows pur heat, too hot in the car so down goes the rear window not much help the regulator broke.
Sound funny but it is actually true.
Replaced the regulator myself , was told those need grease from time to time.
Not much good if the Stealer does not know.
This one here takes the cake.
Alternator failed no not the alternator just the inbuild rgulator replacement not possible quote for new alternator $ 3550.00 US I am in Australia.
Instrument pixels drive me insane you need to be born on mars to read the stuff, I am just about to send the panel to Germany for repair.
Front brake pads are screaming too hard they actually picked up steel from the disc Bendix Mercedes part , now replaced by non OEM only done 12000km.
Stealer is still unable to restore Aircon climate so I shut down one valve to stop hot water valve has to be closed.
Fuel lines leaked destroyed the belt 15km from home travelled home by tow truck.
The Eclass is great to drive but a Mercedes it is not.
Give me back my 1981 300D never had a break down in 22years very little maintenance and cheap to run tha car is still on the road now.
Attached Thumbnails '01 E320 -- too many repair issues, probably my last one-looks-good-but-looks-arent-.jpg  
Old 08-06-2013, 08:42 PM

It wouldn't be fair not to update on the excellent continuing results of late, so here goes. OK, so the last I posted was 128,000 miles, and the car had been problem free from 95,000 - 128,000.

Still going pleasantly strong with only a few minor issues - much less than I had thought would be normal:

- Cosmetics: the plastic or vinyl covers to the front inside door handles are separating from the metal foundations. Plus the vinyl covering of the door arm rests on both sides are wearing through the paint... to a yellowish/whitish color underneath. I'm going to check out how hard it is to repair the handles, and repaint or redye? that arm rest area. Oh, the rear passenger lock broke somehow. so the pull up lock thingy is just sitting in the hole with nothing to grab, and a passenger cannot open that door from the inside. Will get fixed asap. The black rubber skirt at the base of the front windshield is cracking some at the periphery facing the windshield, so I'll replace that. Lastly, the leather steering wheel dye is wearing off where I place my hands, to show a darker grey color underneath. I think I'll leave that, that can be thought of as character in a car.

- driver side rear passenger window lift gave out at about 130,000. Got that fixed for I think $450.

- at 162,000 miles, I lost the Display pixels again for gear and time. This is the 2nd time ... the first was at 94,000. I've been living without it, but it really bothers me. And no way I'm going to pay $1,200 again to replace that again. I'm thinking of writing MBUSA Customer Service and asking if they really think a guy should have to pay to replace a non-moving part like a dash display every 85,000 miles at $1,200 each time. I think they will agree that, assuming it is not a recalled part, it certainly wasn't designed properly for long term ownership

- Water Pump pulley finally started wobbling at 170,000, and I replaced it, the thermostat and the serpentine belt at 177,000. When I picked it up, the mechanic said the idle pulley and belt tensioner are both starting to wobble, so I'll replace those this year. OK, no problem, normal wear.

WEll, that's it from 94,000 to 177,000 miles. Just the window lift, door handle/arm rest finishes, one interior door lock, the Display pixels, water pump, and a couple of other pulleys. Even at dealer prices all that added together is only about $1,600 in repairs, or $2,800 if you count the 2nd Display failure, for everything inclusive for 80,000 miles.

As far as usual consumables, I replaced the original battery at about 120,000 miles. I had already replaced the exhaust system at 96,000 with a cat-back Remus system. Factory springs had been replaced with Eibach at 500 miles, and shocks with Konis at 55.000. Both seem to be going strong, though the Eibach springs, which originally dropped the stance by 1.5", now drop the car about 2.5"... I still think they look great.

I keep wondering how long the transmission is supposed to last. Not MB in particular, but trannies in general seem to go before motors do. But, so far, so good on both of those major systems. I did the recommended auto transmission flush at 100k miles.... now I understand they're recommending every 40,000 miles, so I guess I'll do that soon, at a cost of I think $400.

I've had a couple of fender benders, one my fault, one the other guy, so 75% of the car has been repainted in the past four years. Only the roof, four doors, and passenger side rear quarter panel have original paint.... which still looks good, which is a lot to say for a 13 year old non-metallic black paint job. It helps that the car is garaged 75% of the time during daylight hours.

Given the good motor, transmission, paint, electricals, interior leather, and generally trouble free driving for the past 80k miles, I'm inclined to keep this car for at least another few years, or until something major goes out. It's only worth $4,500 or so at this time, so I'll have to figure out whenever the tranny or engine need major work, whether it would then be time to move on.

Bottom line is -- maintenance during the 2nd 100k miles might actually turn out to be a lot more trouble free (and inexpensive) than the first 100k.

Last edited by DunninLA; 08-06-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:32 AM

W210 E320 4MATIC
Your fault for buying a poor conditioned bargain. Also you spill OJ inside the shift gate and blame the car? My '01 E320 with 125K miles runs GREAT. You need to pony up a little money and do preventative maintenance and take car of it, and the car will be the most reliable car you have ever owned. Take it from me - Had this thing since 70K and have had NO problems. I just make sure to spend a little every once and a while keeping it in shape.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:04 PM

^ perhaps you did not read the post just above yours.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:45 PM

2000 E320 AWD
Originally Posted by 997.2
... You need to pony up a little money and do preventative maintenance and take car of it, and the car will be the most reliable car you have ever owned. Take it from me - Had this thing since 70K and have had NO problems. I just make sure to spend a little every once and a while keeping it in shape.
Yeah, PM is a good idea, but the litany of problems in the OP's posts were not the result of bad PM! Re read Dunnie's posts. They were the result of poor design, for example, window regulators, loose accessory drive pulleys, burned out instrument cluster pixels, flimsy *** trim panels, etc. (I have a few items I can add to the list myself.) We all know the problems with these cars and this forum is a great resource. On the other hand, there are many positive points and some over-designed components such as in the drivetrain and suspension (excluding front springs and spring seats), but all in all, I'd stay away from MB in the future. In fact, I've been considering moving up to a Jetta.

Last edited by Anaxios; 08-08-2013 at 12:20 PM.