E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Getting ripped while trying to get A/C working again.....NJ

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting ripped while trying to get A/C working again.....NJ

Hello,

I wonder if you guys can point me in the right direction. All was going well with my 97 E300D until last week when the AC started to blow hot air, so I figured, AC probably needs a charge. And rear window stopped working. Having been burnt by (German Car Shop, Edison NJ) in the past, I ended up going to the European shop (newly established in Plainfield, NJ). The owner (Roman) had a look at the AC and told me that one of the sensors needed to be replaced. I was asked to bring the car in next day for couple of hours. Since it was couple of hours, I decided to wait around while the repairs were being done. I was charged $430 for the window and AC. Well, got into the car and NO AC. And now I had EC light on. I was told that the sensor was replaced but now the problem is with the climate control dashboard unit, and new one would cost me $803. I was not happy at all, I just paid $430 and now was being asked for another $800.

I drove back home and googled the AC issue. I stumbled upon this great resource URL:http://www.eclassbenz.com/node/27 which was really helpful. I ran the diagnostics and found out the issues with the AC. It turned out that there is nothing wrong with my in dash climate control unit, I just need to have two sensors replaced.

Since, I was at the shop while the repairs were being done, I didn't even see them running the proper diagnostics. I am very disappointed by this shop and will never go back there again.

I need to have the AC going, I know the issues with it (thanks to the diagnostics), I would highly appreciate it if someone can point me to a good and honest shop within centeral Jersey?

Thanks.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Smile What were the values and error codes?

Post them and lets take a look,most sensors are diy items if you dont mind picking up some tools.Does the rear window regulator work now?or did they botch that job also?
ohlord
"GOT CODES?"
Old 08-02-2007, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
Yes, I have the perfect shop for you if you don't mind going a bit further south. PM me.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 & W210
Originally Posted by ultrajeeps

Since, I was at the shop while the repairs were being done, I didn't even see them running the proper diagnostics. I am very disappointed by this shop and will never go back there again.

Thanks.
That's exactly what one of the indy's did on my car here.
All he did was evac and add R134 and said it must be a slow leak and charged me over $100. AC was cool for a few hours and then went back to blowing heat.
He was highly recommended by many on another forum as being God like when it came to MB repairs.
I guess AC repair was not his expertise.

Good luck finding an expert otherwise uou may have to bite the bullet and go to the stealer.