MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W210) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w210-2/)
-   -   My side mirror (driver's side) changed color. (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w210/291149-my-side-mirror-drivers-side-changed-color.html)

mistertonyn 04-06-2009 02:55 AM

My side mirror (driver's side) changed color.

Has this happened to any of you? For some reason...oxidation or whatever.. the color of the mirror is now golden/brownish. I can still use the mirror but it is like having a color tint over the mirror. If I wanted to replace it...can I just replace the mirror it self? and how to you remove it? I hope it does not require the replacement of the entire side mirror assembly..other wise I can just live with the color change as long as it does not get worst and turn totally black on me.

raymond g- 04-06-2009 03:38 AM

i think that is the indication that auto dim is failing....the goo

mirror is affixed via snap fittings, wire retainer, as well as dbl stick tape so
you may need to use a flat bladed screwdriver/knife to carefully pry mirror
off from the plastic flange which is attached to the motor.

UPDATE 6/3/2020 = it appears the Youtube video link has dead ended. if you are needing
photos from a MB w210 showing exterior mirror removal, search Youtube as there are other
videos other than the one I shared (and which died). I may have still photos from my own
car though. If you need, email or PM me.

ohlord 04-06-2009 08:42 AM

And the

auto dimming glass mirror is a pricey part,so unless you are really bothered by it or it starts to leak the almost impossible stuff to remove.Let it be,let it be,speaking words of wisdom.Let it be.:)
:bow:

usaims 04-06-2009 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by ohlord (Post 3451546)
auto dimming glass mirror is a pricey part,so unless you are really bothered by it or it starts to leak the almost impossible stuff to remove.Let it be,let it be,speaking words of wisdom.Let it be.:)
:bow:

I'm experiencing the same issue. Can you buy the driver side mirror w/o the auto dimming stuff. There are about $400, I wouldn't mind paying $50-100 for a normal mirror. Also, it looks ugly.

usaims

mistertonyn 04-06-2009 11:23 AM

I did not realize the outside rear mirror had the

Originally Posted by usaims (Post 3451552)
I'm experiencing the same issue. Can you buy the driver side mirror w/o the auto dimming stuff. There are about $400, I wouldn't mind paying $50-100 for a normal mirror. Also, it looks ugly.

usaims

auto dimming as well...thought it was only the inside rear view mirror.
If it cost $400, then forget it...I can live with it...so let it be perhaps.

mistertonyn 04-06-2009 11:28 AM

Please clarify...can I just replace the mirror only?

Originally Posted by raymond g- (Post 3451412)
i think that is the indication that auto dim is failing....the goo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn0bgoME_mQ

http://tinyurl.com/5vrvv4

mirror is affixed via snap fittings, wire retainer, as well as dbl stick tape so
you may need to use a flat bladed screwdriver/knife to carefully pry mirror
off from the plastic flange which is attached to the motor.

If yes, how much the dealer would charge for the mirror only?
Thanks Raymond.

C43AMG 04-06-2009 11:48 AM

I don't think its the "auto dimming" , I think its the oil used in the heat portion of the "heated mirrors".I had mine leak all over my drivers door and as ohlord stated, it isn't fun to get off.If you don't want to pay to have it replaced ,stop by a glass shop and have them cut you a replacement piece and attach it over top the old one.I wouldn't compromise my safety by trying to navigate with a cloudy drivers side mirror. :y

mistertonyn 04-06-2009 12:19 PM

That is a good idea, but will it look too thick and funny ?

Originally Posted by C43AMG (Post 3451804)
I don't think its the "auto dimming" , I think its the oil used in the heat portion of the "heated mirrors".I had mine leak all over my drivers door and as ohlord stated, it isn't fun to get off.If you don't want to pay to have it replaced ,stop by a glass shop and have them cut you a replacement piece and attach it over top the old one.I wouldn't compromise my safety by trying to navigate with a cloudy drivers side mirror. :y

since the the old mirror has like a plastic molding/frame around it and so I would have the new cut mirror glued on top of the old mirror. The next question would be...is there a special glue for mirror to mirror???

C43AMG 04-06-2009 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by mistertonyn (Post 3451859)
since the the old mirror has like a plastic molding/frame around it and so I would have the new cut mirror glued on top of the old mirror. The next question would be...is there a special glue for mirror to mirror???

I would imagine that 3M makes a high bond adhesive that should be available at Pep Boys ,Auto Zone etc.If you are going the mirror-over-mirror route , I would also consider scruffing the surface of the old mirror up with sandpaper to insure proper adhesion. :y

SnowCub 04-06-2009 04:32 PM

autohausaz has the mirror for $248 for production models through 6/1999. For models produced from 7/1999 on the price is $598. Wow, that's a huge difference.

raymond g- 04-06-2009 06:21 PM

I don't think its the "auto dimming" , I think its the oil used in the heat portion of the "heated mirrors".
yeah, could be. too late at night...and stuffed full of bbq and too lazy for me to check my notes. :)

mistertonyn 04-07-2009 12:26 AM

Holy smoke!!!

:mercy::mercy::mercy::mercy::mercy:

Originally Posted by SnowCub (Post 3452397)
autohausaz has the mirror for $248 for production models through 6/1999. For models produced from 7/1999 on the price is $598. Wow, that's a huge difference.

I'll just take the mirror over mirror route...should be much cheaper...but I won't have the auto dimming feature any more:D

raymond g- 04-07-2009 12:58 AM

you're going to cry more when I tell you that i sold a mind condition OEM
mirror with autodim for $75 shipped several months ago to a forum member.
still have one more but that'll be my personal spare. did you check your
local auto wrecking yard? worth a call(s)

ghaffar23 04-08-2009 01:36 PM

If you're still in need of one and you have a facelift model W210, fleaBay has one for a decent price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...spagenameZWDVW

OR you can opt for eurospec blindspot mirrors. I replaced my OEM ones for these. Granted, there's no auto-dimming feature; I was willing to part with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCE...spagenameZWDVW

sct1965 04-09-2009 02:46 PM

Inexpensive option

After market replacement mirror

http://www.discountautomirrors.com/c...e)&Ns=price8|0

mistertonyn 04-09-2009 03:57 PM

very good to know...

Originally Posted by sct1965 (Post 3458460)

I wonder if they come painted already to whatever car color you have? need to call....thanks.

mbnj 04-15-2009 12:20 AM

I had the jerk at the NJ inspection station fail me for "bronzed mirror", no crack or external leaking, just the slightly darker tint. I didn't want a non-standard paste over, etc. so allowed myself to get the fleecing from the MB shop- $400+.

mistertonyn 04-15-2009 02:23 AM

Luckily they don't inspect for that in CA.

since mine is bronze as well...I can still see through the tint without any problems as long as it does not get any darker:)
Ouch on the $400+ bill for a side mirror.:eek:

Hirnbeiss 05-26-2009 09:04 AM

How to get rid of the mirror goo?

Mine finally gave out and drizzled down the door. It looks like it ate some of the paint on the mirror housing as well.:mercy:
What's the best route for removing this crap? Soap and water didn't do much.

Thanks.

ejsheltra 05-26-2009 10:45 AM

I bot mine for a post face lift car from Autohaus for around 328 last year versus the dealer wanting $607 plus labor. The post face lift mirror glass is an easy pop out and pop the new one in with two small electrical contacts that plug in and out. It is the liquid used for auto dim that goes bad. It chemically breaks down and the seal erodes and then begins to leak. If your mirror is changing color you may have a few more months before you will be dealing with a big mess. Bite the bullitt an get it taken care of now. Glass shops simply use a precut mirror made overseas (not a good fit and looks lousy) and some windshield sealer glue to do the paste over. I, like all of you facing this, tried that first and immediately had them take it off before I left their yard. It looked like sh#t and like something you would do to a 1980s piece of #### clunker that you did not care about. As for the goo try bug and tar remover or or go stronger and use the Purple cleaner degreaser. It will remove the wax and oils from your car so a good wash and rewax after is on the agenda.

Air Marshall Eldritch 05-26-2009 11:40 AM

Guys, you can buy just the glass from a dealer. It has a unique part number, although I don't have it off the top of my head.

Hirnbeiss 05-27-2009 07:26 AM

Update on mirror goo

The electrochromic gel (proprietary product of Gentex) had solidified pretty well on the paint before I could get to it. About an hour of vigorous fingernail scaping and rubbing with 3M Performance Finish got it off the driver's door, but there are some residual stains in the clear coat.
Not sure what I'll do on the clear coat stain - any ideas?

C43AMG 05-27-2009 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Hirnbeiss (Post 3544728)
The electrochromic gel (proprietary product of Gentex) had solidified pretty well on the paint before I could get to it. About an hour of vigorous fingernail scaping and rubbing with 3M Performance Finish got it off the driver's door, but there are some residual stains in the clear coat.
Not sure what I'll do on the clear coat stain - any ideas?

Clay bar it ! :y

ejsheltra 05-27-2009 10:35 AM

3 inch random orbital polisher from Griot's garage and some lens polisher paste then 3 step prep and wax from Mequiars. The polish is amazing. Clay is good for pulling debris out of the painthowever, not sure about a stain that might have eaten into the clear coat. Never hurts to try though. Just function of time and ah little :ymo money.

raymond g- 05-27-2009 10:54 AM

hey!....was googling around and stumbled across this. who wants to be the
guinea pig with this vendor? it doesn't mention the autodim, but I'm intrigued
by the low cost.