MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W210) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w210-2/)
-   -   W210 Engine Running Temperature? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w210/405863-w210-engine-running-temperature.html)

surakung 06-27-2011 01:35 AM

W210 Engine Running Temperature?

My 2000 E320 W210 with 170K miles is always running 3/4 way on the temperature gauge. Is that normal? It hasn't over heated....yet. I sit in traffic and it stays that way.

Is there a thermostat I can change to run cooler or I need to do something else to make it run cooler?

Thanks~

Hirnbeiss 06-27-2011 07:30 AM

The "normal" temperature should be a little above 80, right around 90. Hot weather, running your AC and sitting in traffic can dirve it higher, but if it gets up to the 3/4 mark, my guess is that your fan clutch needs replacing (fairly common item by your mileage). Of course, make sure you have enough coolant first.

RichardM98 06-27-2011 10:23 AM

It's also possible that your thermostat is not opening all the way.

surakung 06-27-2011 12:30 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I am going to pick up a thermostat. The coolent if to the full line. Last would be the fan clutch since it cost more.

ohlord 06-27-2011 05:56 PM

WHAT TEMP IS IT POINTING AT?

IF IT STAYS STEADY AT 90C IT IS NORMAL.It can even go higher or lower depending on ambient temp,traffic,load etc.
You can double check by using the digital readout in the climate control diagnostics.
If your tstat was stuck closed you would be way above 3/4 way.
Check the digital readout,post a picture via your camera,My suspicion is you are normal and no need to change anything.
If it has been 3 years or more change it and flush the system and install 50/50 mix of GO5 zerex .

surakung 06-27-2011 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by ohlord (Post 4734244)
IF IT STAYS STEADY AT 90C IT IS NORMAL.It can even go higher or lower depending on ambient temp,traffic,load etc.
You can double check by using the digital readout in the climate control diagnostics.
If your tstat was stuck closed you would be way above 3/4 way.
Check the digital readout,post a picture via your camera,My suspicion is you are normal and no need to change anything.
If it has been 3 years or more change it and flush the system and install 50/50 mix of GO5 zerex .

Okay, thanks. I'll go take a picture of it and post it up tonight.

surakung 06-27-2011 09:17 PM

This is where i sits today after 20 minutes of driving.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...y/IMAG0073.jpg

ohlord 06-28-2011 01:03 AM

Normal

Yup:y

Hirnbeiss 06-28-2011 07:22 AM

That's not really normal, esp at 73F. It's not dangerous, but it is higher than usual. If that is the temp you get while driving, then it can indicate something blocking the cooling in the radiator (low coolant, clogged pipes, debris in the fins). If it is the temp reached while idling, it is most likely a bad fan clutch.
My car, while driving in 99F weather, is steady at 87-90C ( maybe 1/10th inch above 80) which is right at the thermostat opening point. While idling, the temp may rise as high as yours before the fan clutch fully engages to bring it lower.

surakung 06-28-2011 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Hirnbeiss (Post 4734879)
That's not really normal, esp at 73F. It's not dangerous, but it is higher than usual. If that is the temp you get while driving, then it can indicate something blocking the cooling in the radiator (low coolant, clogged pipes, debris in the fins). If it is the temp reached while idling, it is most likely a bad fan clutch.
My car, while driving in 99F weather, is steady at 87-90C ( maybe 1/10th inch above 80) which is right at the thermostat opening point. While idling, the temp may rise as high as yours before the fan clutch fully engages to bring it lower.

Was my car surpose to have a fan clutch? I opened the hood to check the coolent(good), checked for leeks(good), fan clutch(there is non). I am going to get the car flushed and change out the thermostat this weekend first. I hope that helps.

Hirnbeiss 06-28-2011 12:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Yes, you have a fan clutch. It is the hub part of your fan, and you need to remove the fan (using a holding tool like the one attached) to replace it.
Here's a bad video that still gives you an idea of how to replace it:
fan clutch video
If you don't hear whooshing with from the front end when the car is hot and you increase engine rpm, the clutch is not working.
Also attached are two pics showing my temp at highway speeds and at idle today, AC on, 86-87F outside temp. The 8 never got uncovered completely.

surakung 06-28-2011 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Hirnbeiss (Post 4735177)
Yes, you have a fan clutch. It is the hub part of your fan, and you need to remove the fan (using a holding tool like the one attached) to replace it.
Here's a bad video that still gives you an idea of how to replace it:
fan clutch video
If you don't hear whooshing with from the front end when the car is hot and you increase engine rpm, the clutch is not working.
Also attached are two pics showing my temp at highway speeds and at idle today, AC on, 86-87F outside temp. The 8 never got uncovered completely.

I don't see a fan/fan clutch beside the electric fans on the radiator. I just have a serpentine belt. I'll have to take a picture of it when I get home.

illest 06-28-2011 04:30 PM

Facelifted cars have a different fan setup. I want to say they just have the mechanical fan while we also have the aux fans in front of the rad.

surakung 06-28-2011 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by illest (Post 4735449)
Facelifted cars have a different fan setup. I want to say they just have the mechanical fan while we also have the aux fans in front of the rad.

Yes~! You are right. I do not have a fan clutch. I am going to take it to a Mercedes place tomorrow and have them look at it. They said it might be a fan relay...something, something.

Hirnbeiss 06-29-2011 07:22 AM

Nein! You need to look at the front of your engine, not in front of the radiator. If there is no fan there, that is your problem.
The electric fans in the front of the radiator are only aux fans that kick in at high temp.

Here is the part for your car: http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...2@Fan%20Clutch

also look at step 2 in the first pdf here: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...-pump-wis.html

illest 06-29-2011 10:35 AM

Sorry to confuse the issue my comment was not meant to say that there is not fan clutch.

surakung 06-30-2011 09:32 AM

Went to get my car checked out. The cooling fans is working. Thermostat not opening all the way. Here is a picture of my engine bay. No fan clutch. Just a fan.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...320_engine.jpg

Hirnbeiss 07-01-2011 10:23 PM

Someone replaced your mechanical cooling fan with an electrical one. It will have different setpoints than the stock clutch. Since your temp is still within an acceptable band, you can live with it. If the fan is working, it should drop the temperature when it kicks on. Thermostat replacement is an easy DIY job.

ohlord 07-02-2011 12:24 AM

Nobody

replaced anything with an electric fan.
That is factory electric fan and shroud mounted behind the radiator and pulls air through.
Stop confusing the poor guy:eek:

Hirnbeiss 07-02-2011 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by ohlord (Post 4739911)
replaced anything with an electric fan.
That is factory electric fan and shroud mounted behind the radiator and pulls air through.
Stop confusing the poor guy:eek:

Ok, the parts lists I checked show fan clutches still being used in 2000 and later. However, it looks like there is an electric fan available. Maybe it was part of the facelift, maybe it was an option.

Stop confusing me with your too short posts. :rolleyes::)

Sierra Grande 07-04-2011 06:07 PM

My 2000 E430 has a fan clutch behind the rad with 2 electric fans in front. My temp gauge runs in the identical place as sarakung's.

surakung 07-17-2011 10:59 PM

Okay, I just changed out the thermostat($34, not bad)and the temp is still at 3/4. So I am guessing it was not the thermostat.

When I got home and pulled into the garage, I kept it running and looked at the radiator fan to see if it was spinning. It was spinning really slow. You coulld actually put your finger in there to stop it. But it was spinning. I am thinking on chaning out the fan to a fan that puts out more cfm.

My idea was to relay the new fan so it will run on full power but triggered with the stock relay. I am thinking of purchasing a Spal fan.

a-Sarkar 08-23-2011 11:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Recently my e320 has been passing the 80 line right up to the 3/4 line. It hasn't done this before, even during last summer. Is this high enough to be concerned?

Attachment 381241

Musikmann 08-23-2011 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by a-Sarkar (Post 4804076)
Recently my e320 has been passing the 80 line right up to the 3/4 line. It hasn't done this before, even during last summer. Is this high enough to be concerned?

If it doesn't get above 100 I would not be too concerned. How old is the coolant? Every 3 years you need to change it and be sure to use distilled water and MB or Zerex G05.

a-Sarkar 08-24-2011 02:12 AM

There were a few times on some really hot days where it hit 100, but didnt go over. Recently, I got the indicator for the low coolant level. I went to my local lordco (local car store, was not near any MB dealers), and they gave me "Pentofrost NF" which was made in Germany for european cars.. So I mixed that with distilled water. Shortly after my coolant reservoir was empty again(a leak somewhere I'm guessing).. So I filled it with the same thing, but seems the leak has stopped, but the heat still goes slightly high when the car is driving in the city. Will the dealers have Zerex?