E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Hydraulic Reservoir leak ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 e320 4matic wagon
Hydraulic Reservoir leak ???

Hi -

I found a leak at the rack and pinion, which turned out to be a loose banji bolt at the rack wgere the power steering line connects. Tried to tighten but broke the bolt, so I replaced the bolt with new copper crush washers and it solved the leak ..there.

When refilling the fluid, I went through what I thought was the proper bleeding procedure which was to fill then turn the steering wheel a few times with the car off and the hydraulic res cap off. I then started the car before putting the cap on, and boom! Fluid leaking from all over reservoir. I immediately turned the car off and could not see where it was coming from. I only saw fluid under the reservoir itself and underneath...everywhere!. I know I did something stupid.

I put the cap back on and it seems not to be leaking anymore. Do you think it was fluid shooting out of where the filter is on the cap? Or is ther a way that it could leak from the reservoir itself. The outlet hose on the bottom is not cracked or broken.

Please help. This fluid is so expensive, and i dumped about a half of a quart on my driveway already.

Just to be clear it is the 2000 e320 4matic wagon with the shared hydraulic fluid reservoir.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
The system recirculates fluid to the rear self leveling suspension and back to the reservoir. On the bottom of the cap there should be a sediment filter. There is no bleeding necessary. Just keep the fluid between low and high level and the cap on when running the engine.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 e320 4matic wagon
Thank you Richard

I should have realized not to run the car with the cap off. I dont know what i was thinking. Actually I was thinking the air would rise and bleed through the reservoir since that is the highest point.

Messy lesson learned.

Fluid seems to be holding.