E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

My car will not start sometimes.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:34 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
My car will not start sometimes.

Sometimes i get into the vehicle and instead of starting up right away i turn the key and it will not even crank i do this a few times until it starts. Other times it will crank very quickly rpms go up then all the way down and car shuts off. This doesn't happen every time I get in the car usually I turn the key and it starts like normal. My mechanic says it needs a new eis costing around 600. Could it be any other issue?
Old 08-07-2013, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
How old is the battery? Low voltage (<12v) can cause this problem. Of course, there are other possibilities such as a failing CPS or Throttle Position Sensor. There are lots of built-in diagnostics but they require a SDS to read them and an experienced tech to interpret them. A dealer or well equipped indy can do that.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:14 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
Yea my Indy read it said it wasn't crank position sensor it was eis error code. The battery tested good on the multimeter I was hoping there's another fix then a whole new eis as that's pretty expensive.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:33 PM

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
001 s600, 94 sl600
'intermittent or 'only occasionally' EIS codes and starting problems usually can be traced to a poor connection somewhere in the system circuitry. It could be a wiring harness connector, a bad solder joint on a circuit board, OR a cracked 'component' on the EIS board. For instance, electrolytic capacitors on German autos/electronics are well known to leak and fail. There ARE a couple of firms on these forums that offer repair/fix services for these EIS boards. They may ;rent' you a spare board for you to use while yours is being repaired. A replacement EIS board can ONLY be purchased through a DEALER because it is a 'theft relevant' part and must be synchronized with the other 'theft relevant' components in your car, That can only be done at the Factory where the original coding was done. Those components are: ECU, EIS, TCM, and gear shifter assembly. A used component cannot be 'reprogrammed' to work in another car. I am not sure if swapping the memory chip that stores the security code would work either. I suspect the heat from desoldering the EPROM chip will erase/alter the permanent code that was initially programed.
The following users liked this post:
machadosl (02-28-2020)