MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W210) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w210-2/)
-   -   Key stuck in ignition, stuck in "Park" E320 (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w210/538171-key-stuck-ignition-stuck-park-e320.html)

khellriegel 04-12-2014 03:01 PM

Key stuck in ignition, stuck in "Park" E320

First time poster, long time follower and reader!

OK, I have a 1996 E320 with 128,000 miles on it. Currently the car is stuck in the Park position and the key is stuck in the ignition.

I can start the car, but she would won't let me shift her into reverse, neutral, drive, etc.

I'm pretty sure I don't have an override secret key hole to unlock it either so I can limp it to the shop. At least I haven't see one.

BRAKES:
Recently, the Brake Lining warning came on so I know I have to get new brakes for it. Is that connected to my current issue? Also: I thought I read somewhere that this model needed to have brake pads and rotors done since it is impossible to have the rotors smoothed out. Maybe I'm confused reading so many different things over the years.

From what I have been reading on this forum and other forums it might be a brake relay(?) or brake relay switch? Any suggestions or thoughts?

Also: Check Engine light came on prior to this. From past experience and when I had it scanned at Goodyear tire place, PO101 Mass Air Performance, it is the Mass Flow Air Sensor(?). Does that sound right?
PO301 code: CYl #1 Missfire

Any help you guys suggest would be greatly appreciated.

Plutoe 04-12-2014 07:50 PM

Well frustrated and beguiled, not to worry--forget about all the BS you read, about brakes this and that-----because that has absolutely nothing to do with your drive authorization issues.(do a google search for better understanding)

All those supposed faults you read also have nothing to do with your issue.

To try and remove the key---disconnect the battery----can you now remove the key!!

khellriegel 04-20-2014 03:48 PM

Help! Disconnected Battery - key still stuck in ignition and still stuck in PARK

Hello Again,

I disconnected the battery, tried to pull the key out - no go. Reconnected it, then tried to pull the key out - no go!

So I still have a key stuck in the ignition and the car won't go into any other gear (Reverse, drive, etc).

She will start up right away. Just can't remove the key.

Again, suggestions?

Plutoe 04-20-2014 06:20 PM

After starting the car----next try pumping the foot brake a number of times---are you now able to move the shifter and or remove the key??

raymond g- 04-20-2014 10:15 PM

there is a nexus with the brake in here but it's not quite gelling in my head (cold
meds this weekend).

you step on the brake before you can shift out of gear. but you must lift foot
off brake before the central locking system will release the key. so it doesn't
seem logical to connect these two actions as being related.

but, since it only costs $20 for the part, why not just examine or replace the
brake light switch beneath the dash (above the foot brake)? the switch has
been proven to be the cause of many head scratchers a healthy percentage of
the time.

you'll need to work upside down and what not but only for about 30 mins.

may be worth considering since it's inexpensive and i always try to work on
it from that direction :)

clicky1
clicky2

renault12ts 04-21-2014 04:41 AM

Are you sure Raymond...I can remove my key with my foot still on the brake.

raymond g- 04-21-2014 08:03 AM

ha... im sure with my own car. mine could be on the verge of failing and yours are functioning properly i guess. :)

khellriegel 04-27-2014 03:06 PM

Part removal

I managed to get the part replaced but the battery is currently dead. However, once I start the car, I'll give you an update.

raymond g- 04-28-2014 01:20 PM

DO NOT CHARGE THE BATTERY
...without first unplugging it from your car.

Apparently others have reported that if you charge the battery while the
key is in the ignition, it could cause the ignition locking system to fail.
Replacement of the ignition system is a couple grand $.

khellriegel 04-28-2014 04:55 PM

Key still stuck in ignition, car still stuck in park

Well, I didn't know not to charge the battery attached so I have charged it yesterday. I just got your message today so I left the battery attached to the car.

So maybe I've messed it up even more. Yikes!

I replaced the brake relay switch (located above the brake pedal).

Current Situation:
Key still stuck in the ignition. Car won't more out of "Park". She does start (now that the battery is recharged).

BTW: I have in the past, detached the battery and tried to remove the key...nothing.

raymond g- 04-29-2014 12:48 AM

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/tech-help/

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/+

http://www.mbca.org/forum

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/index.php?

wonder if folks there may have insight or guesses which will get you closer to a fix?

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...key-start.html

Google "mercedes smartkey stuck in ignition"

khellriegel 04-29-2014 02:44 AM

Update Time!

Here is my current updated situation.

I switched out the brake relay switch after reading a bit more on possible problems. I also have the current error codes:

P0125 Insufficient Coolant Temperature for Closed Loop Fuel Control
<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
P0196 Engine Oil Temperature Sensor Range/Performance
P0234 Engine Overboost Condition
P0299 Turbo Under Boost
P0357 Ignition Coil G Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction
P0443 Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Malfunction
P0455 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak)
P0736 Reverse incorrect gear ratio
P1143 couldn't really find a Mercedes Benz one....P1143 Heated Oxygen Sensor 1 Lean Shift Monitoring Bank 1???
U0001
U0101
U0106

Looking at these codes, I'm guessing the problem lies in P0357. Any ideas on what I need to do?

I'll also look on those links you suggested....thanks!!!!

Plutoe 04-29-2014 10:09 AM

Clear all the faults----then scan the car again---what faults if any return

raymond g- 04-29-2014 12:02 PM

uh......im embarrassed. somewhere i had in me head that you have a Smartkey, which you do not and have the switchblade metal key, correct?

Goroundthebenz 06-11-2014 11:54 AM

Update ?

Originally Posted by khellriegel (Post 6024758)
Here is my current updated situation.

I switched out the brake relay switch after reading a bit more on possible problems. I also have the current error codes:

P0125 Insufficient Coolant Temperature for Closed Loop Fuel Control
<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
P0196 Engine Oil Temperature Sensor Range/Performance
P0234 Engine Overboost Condition
P0299 Turbo Under Boost
P0357 Ignition Coil G Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction
P0443 Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Malfunction
P0455 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak)
P0736 Reverse incorrect gear ratio
P1143 couldn't really find a Mercedes Benz one....P1143 Heated Oxygen Sensor 1 Lean Shift Monitoring Bank 1???
U0001
U0101
U0106

Looking at these codes, I'm guessing the problem lies in P0357. Any ideas on what I need to do?

I'll also look on those links you suggested....thanks!!!!

Did you resolve your troubles ?
Just in case same happens to someone else ,,, probably me :eek:

Mary Welch 08-02-2018 02:32 PM

HELP! Having same issue...

I just bought a '96 E320 for a steal of $100 from a friend. They had this same issue. Key stuck in ignition and gear shifter stuck in Park. We got the car running and ETS is on. The tranny had been replaced some time before they parked it a little over a year ago after key got stuck. I've had neutral position switch problems and linkage problems with my Hyundai... So naturally began looking into those issues... But to no avail have I found any certainties. Was there an update on this thread about this issue?

Plutoe 08-02-2018 06:56 PM

Give it back and buy a scooter!
PS MB's aint Hyundai's, forget the frozen evaluations and google ignition module and or key for your VIN!

northerndad 08-16-2018 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mary Welch (Post 7519055)
I just bought a '96 E320 for a steal of $100 from a friend. They had this same issue. Key stuck in ignition and gear shifter stuck in Park. We got the car running and ETS is on. The tranny had been replaced some time before they parked it a little over a year ago after key got stuck. I've had neutral position switch problems and linkage problems with my Hyundai... So naturally began looking into those issues... But to no avail have I found any certainties. Was there an update on this thread about this issue?

Hi Mary, I don't know if the OP fixed this problem; but I had a similar issue with my w210 and changing the brake switch up behind the brake pedal solved it for me. It was a cheap part and easy fix. My w210 mercedes is a 2001 though. I was able to continue to drive it with that problem by using the override on the shifter console to get the car out of park. Good luck. If you solve it please come back and post your fix.
http://www.mercedesmedic.com/mercede...er-stuck-park/