E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Replacement Cup Holder mis-adjusted

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 E320W 4Matic
Question Replacement Cup Holder mis-adjusted

I recently broke the cupholder in my 2000 E320, again. I picked up a replacement used part on eBay. It appears to be in good shape and slips into the compartment as expected. But when in the compartment, I can't open it all the way. It opens perfectly when not in the compartment, but not when installed. It hits the top edge of the console (the lip that overhangs a bit). I compared its movement to the old (broken) one. The replacement goes much higher before the arm swings out - too high for the compartment.

Any suggestions on what's out of whack on this one?
Old 05-17-2017, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
if it is an authentic OE replacement (with MB part numbering) the only thing I
can think of is that the replacement hasn't been inserted deep enough to where
it has affirmatively latched into place. but shy of being there to handle it first
hand, it's difficult to troubleshoot via the Web.

have you tried removing it and re-inserting it multiple times?

how about the wood covering? was it removed and replaced and perhaps still
a little loose from its moorings?
Old 05-17-2017, 08:51 PM

2000 E320W 4Matic
Originally Posted by raymond g-
if it is an authentic OE replacement (with MB part numbering) the only thing I
can think of is that the replacement hasn't been inserted deep enough to where
it has affirmatively latched into place. but shy of being there to handle it first
hand, it's difficult to troubleshoot via the Web.

have you tried removing it and re-inserting it multiple times?

how about the wood covering? was it removed and replaced and perhaps still
a little loose from its moorings?
This is a used replacement. It appears identical to the original (so far as I can tell, with some parts missing from the original). I have verified that it's seating completely, and I noticed something else when comparing them. I'm replacing just the insert, not the entire compartment (so the wood covering is unchanged).

I'll need to post pictures to illustrate the issue, but here's a brief description:

The corner piece that the swinging arm is attached to (forward-right corner of the insert) remains higher at closed than the original. I can see a gap where it could go as low at "closed" as the original does, but it stops before it gets that low, as the arm has swung all the way in. This difference in height at "closed" corresponds to the difference in height as it is opening. If I could figure out how to release the arm to rotate it back 20 degrees or so, I think I could close it all the way, so it could then open all the way when inserted.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:38 PM

2000 E320W 4Matic
With pictures, this time

Okay, I took a closer look when I was back at home last night. There's a part of the insert that appears to be adjustable, though I can't figure a way to adjust it. If you look at the part circled in red on the two pictures, you'll see that it's raised higher on the replacement, and set as low as it can go on the original. Both positions appear to be intended for use, but I can't figure out how to release the part to move it to another position. Anyone have any idea how to adjust this?

The original. The part circled is set to its lowest possible position.

The replacement. Notice the gap below the circled part - a gap not present in the original.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
i'm having a firm feeling that the unit you got may be the incorrect one, like say,
for an S model or something. it doesn't appear that it sports an MB part number
on it...so what letters/numbers are on there? (not sure what I'm looking for
but just obsessively digging for clues)

where did you buy? is there a link to the sold item?

p.s. i'll retract that comment about the wrong part. i'm going to study it again

p.s. I'm still inclined to think it is the incorrect part but difficult to say since it
isn't looking like MB molded in a part number so yes, I'm curious to read how
the ebay ad was worded or if they included a part number (which is a guess
since it's not marked)

p.s. the possible adjustment still may not apply in your case but i'll toss this
out there. on your photo, look on the left side and you will see two .25" holes.
one should have a plastic expando rivet in it. that rivet should be in the lower
hole. it appears it is. that is the lowest the escalator will travel. to remove
the rivet, using hemostat, pinch it closed and push it out. it can be moved to
the higher hole but in doing so, will position the cup holder higher which is not
what you want.

at this point, I am unable to explain the spacing/gap on the right side of your
photo and if/how this can be adjusted

Last edited by raymond g-; 05-19-2017 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:01 PM

2000 E320W 4Matic
i'm having a firm feeling that the unit you got may be the incorrect one, like say,
for an S model or something. it doesn't appear that it sports an MB part number
on it...so what letters/numbers are on there? (not sure what I'm looking for
but just obsessively digging for clues)

where did you buy? is there a link to the sold item?

p.s. i'll retract that comment about the wrong part. i'm going to study it again
It actually appears to be identical to the original, except that this one part is raised. It may, perhaps, be a part that could be assembled for multiple models. I bought it on eBay, so the posting there isn't terribly informative. I can't decipher/locate a part number on either one. On the back, both have the M-B logo, some fish logo with writing I can't read (in cursive, perhaps "fischer"), a "CBOX" logo, two circles that appear to be date indicators (date of manufacture?), and "ABS/PC". There's another pair of those (date indicator?) circles on the part in question. Aside from the circles and what's broken on the original, I cannot spot anything different between them.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
okay, i found the MB part number for what it's worth: 2106800114
retailing about $50-75 and < $50 dealer cost

current ebay matches

can't tell you why your replacement unit does not fit. my gut tells me it's
not a matched part for your car. since you don't have a link, you'll need
to review it and possibly consider a return

Last edited by raymond g-; 05-19-2017 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:06 AM

2000 E320W 4Matic
okay, i found the MB part number for what it's worth: 2106800114
retailing about $50-75 and < $50 dealer cost

current ebay matches

can't tell you why your replacement unit does not fit. my gut tells me it's
not a matched part for your car. since you don't have a link, you'll need
to review it and possibly consider a return
What I suspect is that this part fits a wide range of models. The piece that's in a different position on the replacement is clearly a separate piece of plastic. I'm wondering if it was made so as to be permanently set once installed at a given position, after which it only fits certain models. I've been fiddling with the original, trying to figure a way to slip that piece off or change its position, but haven't managed anything other than some flexing.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:28 AM

2000 E320W 4Matic
Okay, I finally got it sorted. I wish I had taken a picture of the inside before the adjustment. If you turn one of these around so you're seeing the inside of the part I photographed, it's clear there are two positions it can be set at. There's a small clip at the top of the post it's attached to (when in the higher position). This clip can be disengaged with a finger, and the piece can be gently pulled away until it separates a bit from the post. It can then be re-positioned. I'm not sure how to re-position it from the lower setting (where it is in the original, and now in the replacement). The clip isn't engaged at that position, yet I was unable to move it on the original.

In any case, I'm leaving this resolution here in case anyone else runs into the issue. I'll post a marked-up picture later.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:26 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 ML350 4Matic
Originally Posted by gpseymour
Okay, I finally got it sorted. I wish I had taken a picture of the inside before the adjustment. If you turn one of these around so you're seeing the inside of the part I photographed, it's clear there are two positions it can be set at. There's a small clip at the top of the post it's attached to (when in the higher position). This clip can be disengaged with a finger, and the piece can be gently pulled away until it separates a bit from the post. It can then be re-positioned. I'm not sure how to re-position it from the lower setting (where it is in the original, and now in the replacement). The clip isn't engaged at that position, yet I was unable to move it on the original.

In any case, I'm leaving this resolution here in case anyone else runs into the issue. I'll post a marked-up picture later.
That is a the adjustment. The W202 cup holder is no longer available, but the 210 part, which is identical, fits exactly after making the very adjustment you discovered, i.e. one position for W202, other position for W210. For some bizarre reason M-B doesn't seem to be aware of this. I think the part you bought may have come out of a W202.
The following users liked this post:
gpseymour (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 06:32 PM

2000 E320W 4Matic
Originally Posted by vinceC
That is a the adjustment. The W202 cup holder is no longer available, but the 210 part, which is identical, fits exactly after making the very adjustment you discovered, i.e. one position for W202, other position for W210. For some bizarre reason M-B doesn't seem to be aware of this. I think the part you bought may have come out of a W202.
That would make sense. There appeared to be a second adjustment toward the rear of the unit - a stop, I think. It was in the same position on both, but looked like it should match the forward setting. That leads me to believe this one was originally in a W210 (as you suggest), set up for a W202 incompletely.

Now, if someone would just make a sturdier replacement.