E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

retrofitting cell phone into 97 E320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
Smile retrofitting cell phone into 97 E320

I have decided to not wait for the mikbox, and try to retrofit my cellphone into my 97 E320 with the handsfree kit. I have read some of the instructions to do so in other threads, but still have a few questions:

1. Where is the factory's phone speaker located in a 97 E-class (or do you hear the person you are talking to through the stereo speakers)?

2. The factory phone's mic .... what color is the wire to the mic, and which side does the wire run down ... the driver's side window seam or passenger side?

3. Would I need to get an external digital antenna, or could I use the factory phone's existing antenna (i'm not sure because the old phone for a 97 is analog, so not quit sure it will work for my digital cellphone), and where do I tap into these antenna if I can use it?

I know it's a lot of questions, but from reading some of these threads in this forum ... you guys sure know alot about mercedes cars. If there is a better way besides waiting for the mikbox, please let me know. I don't need to use the phone controls in the factory dash unit, just want to hook my cellphone into a cradle in the console where the old phone is, and have the stereo mute when I get a call, and use the existing mic and speaker to talk. Simply right?

Thanks,
Mbmiller
97 E320 78K