E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Trunk Open Light/Dome Lights Wont Shut Off

Old 08-06-2018, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
Trunk Open Light/Dome Lights Wont Shut Off

1999 W210 E320 4Matic 4 Dr. Sedan

Open doors start car and drive and the auto dimming feature on the front and rear dome lights (and foot well doors) do not go off. Upon parking lights take 3-5 minutes to go off. Red light on trunk release always on when key in ignition). Also trunk remote release and interior switch release will cease to function after a certain amount of time - removing the ground from battery for 5 seconds restores function.

I have checked all the door switches and trunk switch and they all function work. The Vacuum Supply Pump (MB 2108001148) has been exposed to water in the past - I inspected and cleaned a small amount of corrosion on the circuit board). I have long thought this may be the Vacuum Supply Pump but not sure if there is another obvious thing I am missing (damaged trunk wires?).

Thanks,
Old 08-07-2018, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
hard to decipher all this over and vet the information over one post but have you tried taping a coin opposite
the door plunger switch (one at a time) and test driving to see if the symptom(s) still manifest themselves?
at issue is the $20 switch which has a well known diminished performance problem. so though you've tested
the switch for off/on....the other thing to review is whether the length of the plunger throw is now outside of
tolerance. 99% of the time, taping the coin trick helps to isolate this switch issue. one reason why it may NOT
be the problem is that you've not identified that the cabin lights flicker, nor that the door lock pins atop the door
cycle up and down unpredictably ... which normally accompanies a failing door switch.

long shot but worth checking simply because it's an easy check....and low cost fix. it may also require different
solutions and that these symptoms are not all the result of a single cause but somewhat unrelated

i'm glad you mentioned the water issue with the pSE pump. some folks shrug off the problem in the past and
just figure everything is okay after they wipe it down. actually, the more i think about this, the more it points
to sporadic and ailing PSE pump. easiest way to test is finding a matching part number from a junkyard and
swapping it out. be aware that it is also possible that MB STAR multiplexor intervention is needed after PSE
swap
but note that

Last edited by raymond g-; 08-07-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
Originally Posted by raymond g-
hard to decipher all this over and vet the information over one post but have you tried taping a coin opposite
the door plunger switch (one at a time) and test driving to see if the symptom(s) still manifest themselves?
at issue is the $20 switch which has a well known diminished performance problem. so though you've tested
the switch for off/on....the other thing to review is whether the length of the plunger throw is now outside of
tolerance. 99% of the time, taping the coin trick helps to isolate this switch issue. one reason why it may NOT
be the problem is that you've not identified that the cabin lights flicker, nor that the door lock pins atop the door
cycle up and down unpredictably ... which normally accompanies a failing door switch.

long shot but worth checking simply because it's an easy check....and low cost fix. it may also require different
solutions and that these symptoms are not all the result of a single cause but somewhat unrelated

i'm glad you mentioned the water issue with the pSE pump. some folks shrug off the problem in the past and
just figure everything is okay after they wipe it down. actually, the more i think about this, the more it points
to sporadic and ailing PSE pump. easiest way to test is finding a matching part number from a junkyard and
swapping it out. be aware that it is also possible that MB STAR multiplexor intervention is needed after PSE
swap
but note that
Great suggestion on the tape - I will try it. I did notice testing the door and trunk switches that when depressed some of them closed then ever so briefly opened the circuit and went back to closed (switches close the circuit when depressed). Not sure if this is normal but I will try the tape trick. thanks

Last edited by donwillcox; 08-07-2018 at 02:15 PM. Reason: editing