E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

tensioner replaced - belt won't fit

Old 09-28-2018, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 E430
tensioner replaced - belt won't fit

My Belt tensioner recently destroyed itself. It actually came completely apart and the pulley ended up in pulley never never land. I purchased a new belt tensioner on-line and installed it yesterday. I checked the serpentine belt and it was in fine shape so I planned on reusing it. The new tensioner had the pin installed when it arrived so I assumed, install the tensioner, install the belt, release the tensioner pin and we'll be in business. The reality: I installed the new tensioner, and attempted to install the belt but it was too short. I checked and rechecked the routing of the belt and how it was seated on the pulleys and all is fine, but it just doesn't fit. I have just learned there have been modifications to the belt tensioner and the pictures indicate the old tensioner pulley to be smaller than the new replacement. Does this mean a new and different belt? I talked to the local dealership and while they tried to be helpful they were as confused as I am. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.