E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

burnt oil smell in cabin

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2024, 07:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2000 E430, 2011 Ford Ranger
burnt oil smell in cabin

I noticed the oil smell while driving at slow speed or stop and go, at steady speed it is unnoticeable. Up on ramps and under the car. I thought it might be the notorious trans connector. When the car was purchased in 2009 with 57K miles I could find no record of it being replaced. I went to an independent mechanic for maintenance.since I knew little about MBZ. One of the tasks was the transmission service. I do not think the connector was changed then and I did not know to ask for it. The car now has 83K miles, she does not drive it much. I found the leak was for the right rear of the valve cover slowly dripping onto the header. While under there I checked the connector and it was dry. I inserted a white pipe cleaner into the weep hole on the connector dust cover and it came out clean. I was wondering if all is good for now or is the oil wicked up between the conductor and insulation where the pipe cleaner would not detect it? When I do the trans service in the future I will change the connector. Thanks to all the help I have received from this forum I have done all maintenance and repairs myself. THANK YOU

Last edited by gribble; 01-20-2024 at 07:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
davmil2002 (01-22-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 01:12 AM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
2000 E320
Have you address the valve cover issue? If so, then you need to open the hood and look for the obvious. Don't just look. Use small strong flashlight so you can shine the light in tight spot. Let's go from there.

If you haven't address the valve cover issue, do that first. While at it, make sure to see your breather cover is not leaking as well since you take your car to the mechanic. Often times, they use the wrong kind of sealant. I just did mine on the right cover. Left was OK. But never know, so check both. When you get a valve cover gasket, make sure you get the quality gasket, like from Fel-Pro or equivalent. Cheap gasket won't stay in the cover and you'll have hard time sealing it properly unless you use some kind of gasket sealant or something similar.

Usually, and that's usually, trans fluid have different burning smell than the motor oil. And due to it's nature, trans line USUALLY don't run near or on top of exhaust manifold or pipes. However, I'm not sure where is the trans line for our car. So if it's anywhere near the exhaust, my apology.
Old 01-21-2024, 12:43 PM

Thanks evo, I don't think the valve covers have been touched . I do the work myself. I have not fixed the valve cover leak yet, I will definitely check the breather cover.
Old 01-22-2024, 01:26 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
320e
Originally Posted by gribble
I noticed the oil smell while driving at slow speed or stop and go, at steady speed it is unnoticeable. Up on ramps and under the car. I thought it might be the notorious trans connector. When the car was purchased in 2009 with 57K miles I could find no record of it being replaced. I went to an independent mechanic for maintenance.since I knew little about MBZ. One of the tasks was the transmission service. I do not think the connector was changed then and I did not know to ask for it. The car now has 83K miles, she does not drive it much. I found the leak was for the right rear of the valve cover slowly dripping onto the header. While under there I checked the connector and it was dry. I inserted a white pipe cleaner into the weep hole on the connector dust cover and it came out clean. I was wondering if all is good for now or is the oil wicked up between the conductor and insulation where the pipe cleaner would not detect it? When I do the trans service in the future I will change the connector. Thanks to all the help I have received from this forum I have done all maintenance and repairs myself. THANK YOU
Mine leaks in same place. When a drop of oil hits, is smokes and stinks. Using the cabin filter helps some. Someday I'll get it fixed I suppose.
Old 01-22-2024, 02:05 PM

I have the same feeling davmil2002, when it really becomes a problem I will attack it. The transmission connector was my real worry. I think it is OK for now.
The following users liked this post:
davmil2002 (01-23-2024)