E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

In case your smart key broke

Old 04-20-2010, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E200 W210
Smile

Thanks for the info all - replaced the case today on mine in minutes.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:36 PM

2005 C230WZ, 2004 E55, 2004 Audi S4
How do you take the key apart?? I got the battery out.. but the rest seems like its part of the key.. any pictures or DIY would help.. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
Top image: Key with battery compartment removed. Note white plastic retainer at the top.

Remove the white plastic retainer.

Middle image: Key with white plastic retainer removed.

Carefully slide out the circuit board.

Bottom image: Circuit board slid out from case:
Attached Thumbnails In case your smart key broke-smartkeyinternals.jpg  
Old 11-24-2010, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 S210 3.8L Brabus wagon
New chrome case key not available for the estate wagon
Old 11-24-2010, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
ejs - what year? i thought that all smartkeys were backward compatible. is
that pre-Smartkey (ie switchblade)?
Old 09-07-2011, 06:33 PM

CLK 430
How do I release the circuit board from the smart key after the battery carrier has been removed? I cannot find a video or good description for releasing the board.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:49 PM

11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
Look at the top picture in my previous post. There is a white retainer that holds the circuit board in place. Remove the white retainer with a small pick and the circuit board will slide out.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 S600
Possibility of replacing factory system with aftermarket?

I thought getting information on my Lexus was a PITA! It seams I had no idea what it would take to obtain info on my "new to me" Mercedes S600. However I love this machine so much I'm committed to finding out as much as I can.

My car only came with the single key which does everything including the keyless go feature. However since it is my only key I am VERY nervous about it breaking.

I have read a metric butt ton of information about all of the pitfalls of getting replacement keys and I have resigned myself to the fact that I will most likely have to shell out a few hundred dollars from the stealer to get said replacement key. And if I also want that key to do the keyless go I have been told to double the cost.

However, I was thinking, how difficult would it be to completely bypass the factory system and install a high end aftermarket security system? I know from recent experience that the high end Viper or other similar systems go for around $300 to $500 and they do everything the factory system does in addition to remote start which amazingly my space shuttle of a car can't do. Any thoughts? Thanks,

Brian
Old 12-12-2011, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
Based on posts in this thread I decided to replace my smart key 'case'. I purchased a replacement from seller - yourkeylessremote on eBay for $25.70 delivered.

It arrived today and is nearly identical to the factory key case. The only difference I could see was that the plastic had a little more texture to it's surface. The original is smooth. Swapping out the electronics took about 5-10min thanks to the instructions provided by others and it worked perfectly when opening/closing the doors and starting the engine.

My dealer could not guarantee to get me a chrome key. They would order one but they said I might end up with a regular one which I would then own since the key had been cut. It also appears that there is a slight difference in the shape of the cut key compared with the original 4 button smart key.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:26 PM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Originally Posted by JimPurdy
I purchased a used old style key on eBay to replace a cracked key. I found it is very easy to pull the old circuit board out of the old key and slide it into the new key.
After you take the end of the key off and remove the batteries, there was a little white plastic keeper "bar" across the circuit board. I removed that with a dental pick. The circuit board will then slide out. It was easiest to perform this surgery on the "new" key since my old one was still working. With my new surgical confidence, I then removed the board from the old working key and rebuilt the new key with the old board and white plastic keeper bar.
Originally Posted by Barnesy99
Thanks for the info all - replaced the case today on mine in minutes.
Top image: Key with battery compartment removed. Note white plastic retainer at the top.
Remove the white plastic retainer.
Middle image: Key with white plastic retainer removed.
Carefully slide out the circuit board.
Bottom image: Circuit board slid out from case:
Look at the top picture in my previous post. There is a white retainer that holds the circuit board in place. Remove the white retainer with a small pick and the circuit board will slide out.
Originally Posted by RichardM98
Based on posts in this thread I decided to replace my smart key 'case'. I purchased a replacement from seller - yourkeylessremote on eBay for $25.70 delivered.
Swapping out the electronics took about 5-10min thanks to the instructions provided by others and it worked perfectly when opening/closing the doors and starting the engine.
Hey guys, I know this is an old post but I am finding myself in this dilemma right now with an older Smart key.

I'm very familiar with how to change the battery, but changing the circuit board is where I'm having trouble with. I know many of you have had success in changing it, but I cannot seem to find the "white retainer clip" that is mentioned. Here is a photo of my key. I am a bit stuck as to how to remove the circuit board. What tool can I use that will unlock the retaining clip, and what exactly am I looking for?

Any help is greatly appreciated, as I am very stumped right now.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:55 PM

11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
Originally Posted by tresean1
Hey guys, I know this is an old post but I am finding myself in this dilemma right now with an older Smart key.

I'm very familiar with how to change the battery, but changing the circuit board is where I'm having trouble with. I know many of you have had success in changing it, but I cannot seem to find the "white retainer clip" that is mentioned. Here is a photo of my key. I am a bit stuck as to how to remove the circuit board. What tool can I use that will unlock the retaining clip, and what exactly am I looking for?

Any help is greatly appreciated, as I am very stumped right now.

Your pictures show the white plastic retainer in the middle. Carefully remove it and the circuit board will pull out.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:51 PM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Your pictures show the white plastic retainer in the middle. Carefully remove it and the circuit board will pull out.
Thanks for your response. But a part of my question was "how do I remove the plastic retaining clip? What do I stick in there to grab it? And which piece of it do I grab?"
I am having an uber blond moment right now...
Old 12-30-2017, 10:15 PM

11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
Originally Posted by tresean1
Thanks for your response. But a part of my question was "how do I remove the plastic retaining clip? What do I stick in there to grab it? And which piece of it do I grab?"
I am having an uber blond moment right now...
I used a hook made from a paper clip bent into a "J" shape. I caught the retaining clip in the middle and pulled until it popped out.