E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Getting a 2006 CDI, question of options.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 320E CDI, Porsche 911 C2, Pontiac Montana
Getting a 2006 CDI, question of options.

My 2005 CDI suffered a problem and I will no longer drive it so I am getting a 2006.

Having a chance to do things over, I am wondering what options I should add. One thing is for sure, I will get a dark interior after getting aggravated with denim blue dye transfer. Will also add orthopidec seats like the 2005.

Soo.....

Brilliant Silver,
Charcoal Interior
Orthopedic seats.

Considering....

Bi-Xenon headlamps....are they worth it? I could always get a bit brighter bulbs.

Drive-Dynamic driver’s seat.....anybody have this and recommend it?

Heated headlamp washers...I like this but it is an expensive option for what it does.

COMAND-DVD in-dash GPS navigation system.....yes...no....yes...no......I just wonder how much of a distration versus benefit it is.

I wonder what other options they will be offering for 2006. Anybody know?

BTW, I drove the new M-class and it's damn good BUT it sucks feul like a jet. I am used to seeing 32 mpg on my CDI and this thing was running at 14 mpg. OUCH! On the other hand, if they had a diesel version, I would seriously consider it.

Last edited by Spartan; 04-26-2005 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:04 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
Originally Posted by Spartan
My 2005 CDI suffered a problem and I will no longer drive it so I am getting a 2006.

Having a chance to do things over, I am wondering what options I should add. One thing is for sure, I will get a dark interior after getting aggravated with denim blue dye transfer. Will also add orthopidec seats like the 2005.

Soo.....

Brilliant Silver,
Charcoal Interior
Orthopedic seats.

Considering....

Bi-Xenon headlamps....are they worth it? I could always get a bit brighter bulbs.

Drive-Dynamic driver’s seat.....anybody have this and recommend it?

Heated headlamp washers...I like this but it is an expensive option for what it does.

COMAND-DVD in-dash GPS navigation system.....yes...no....yes...no......I just wonder how much of a distration versus benefit it is.
I have the charcoal interior (with Pewter) and it shows light particles of dirt well, but I don't think most stains would show.

The bi-Xenon headlamps are, bar none, the best headlights I have ever owned on a car. Others may have seen something better, but I haven't. The curve-following seems pretty subtle, but the output is phenomenal.

The drive-dynamic seats are a conversation piece, but I like them. A friend who teaches racing and driving sat in mine yesterday and said they might be one of the best stock seats he's ever felt. I like the adjustability of the side bolsters, whether or not I use the dynamic feature. The pulse feature is actually nice on long drives, though I wouldn't exactly call it a "massage." It does stave off low back aches on long drives in my experience. The dynamic inflation of the side bolsters in turns can be a little distracting, but there are two levels of settings for the inflation speed and magnitude.

The headlamp washers came with the lighting package, so I didn't really think much about them. Coming from a W124 with headlamp wipers, I believe that anything that helps clear headlamps is a nice safety feature, especially in snow/salt/sand muck. I can't really speak to how well the washers work, but the couple of times I felt they were needed, they seemed to make a positive difference.

The COMAND DVD nav is not a bad system. I can only compare it with the Alpine that I used for the past 7 years or so:

Pros:
- the MB/Harman-Becker system pretty much only talks when it has something relevant to say. My Alpine used to harangue me every 4 miles on the highway to "continue straight."
- data entry is fairly easy, given the joystick
- there are multiple zoom levels, though I wish more had street names
- The voice isn't quite as abrasive as the dominatrix in my old Alpine
- Screen is nicely readable in a variety of lighting conditions

Cons:
- You can only enter house number ranges most of the time, not specific addresses
- the method for viewing the actual route in text form is byzantine
- you'll have to get used to what it means by "bear left/right" or "prepare to turn left/right". I have come to realize that certain terms map to certain distances, for example. I suppose this is true of all of them, but it's more subtle than my Alpine.
- Sometimes it will say "take a left" when what it really means is to stay on the main road and ignore the right exit coming up.
- If you use the "auto" headlight setting, the nav screen can flip from day to night mode, which is a little distracting
- (whine alert) The European system's voice control is WAY more sophisticated than the U.S. one. Europeans get to dictate place names to theirs.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
17 E220D, 11 E350 CDI(sold), 06 CLS320 CDI (sold), 05 Cadillac DeVille (gone), 04 E320 CDI (sold)
I would definitely go for the bi-xenons, they are a generation ahead of any other lights I have driven with. It is not just the brightness, it's the spread.

I would also suggest the electronic trunk closer. I really wish I had one, it would be so handy.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
I'd go with everything you mentioned, but would'nt pay extra for the "heated" headlamp washer (mine were free and see no diff)....I have all these options in my ride and love them all, especially the "active" bi-Xenon lights.... Hope you have better luck with this one.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML 320 CDI
I would definately go for the Bi-Xenons, as stated above they are brilliant and are by far the best light output/spread I've ever had in a car. Command is cheaper here in the UK than it was so I would probably get it but not sure how it's priced in the US.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Ordering options is all part and parcel of buying a new car and it is something you need to get right. Having any option installed after purchase will be very costly.

I have yet to read of anyone that has a bad word to say about bi-xeons. Headlamp washers are part of the package, so one will come with the other.

Seats.
If you like the ultimate seating comfort that the 211 has to offer, go for it.

Navigation.
We very rarely use our system, but it is comforting to know that you should never get lost, and there is no longer any need to either ask for directions or buy a road atlas. If you can afford it go for it.

There are countless other options that will quickly eat into your bank balance but the three you have highlighted are three that I have and would order on any new vehicle.

Good luck with the new car,

John

Now a nice sunny morning in Torquay
Old 04-27-2005, 04:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Spartan
Sooo... what was the problem? Did MB help you or are you going it alone with the 06?
Old 06-03-2005, 01:12 AM

Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
Question What Happened?

Originally Posted by konigstiger
Sooo... what was the problem? Did MB help you or are you going it alone with the 06?

Don't you simply love when you ask a question and you don't get an answer?

WHAT WAS THE PROBLEM with your 2005 CDI?

Old 06-03-2005, 01:28 AM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Panorama roof

Have you considered adding the Panorama roof? Expect it to be heavilly promoted with the upcoming 2007 S Class so this is one way of bridging the gap between the E and S. Too bad the solar powered cooling panels are no longer available with it, but having the Panorama roof is definitely worth considering.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
What went wrong with your '05 CDI?

Quick-searched your posts and only discovered a dye-transfer to ash leather problem.

Was this the problem it suffered?

KB
Old 06-03-2005, 10:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W211 2005 CDI, X166 2013 350 BT, 997.1 2008 C4S
I'm kinda curious too as I also have the 05 CDI. Anything we fellow CDI'rs need to be aware of?
Thanks
Jay
Old 06-03-2005, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
If you have an 06 registered car, could you ask it what the winning lottery numbers were for the 3rd week of June 05 and let me know via pm please.

Regards,
John

PS I accept you have a 'funny' system of dating your vehicles
Old 06-03-2005, 03:33 PM

Get everything you have mentioned plus the the electronic truck closer, keyless go, and the wood steering wheel.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Ok, I'll be the 3rd guy to ask..

WHAT WAS WRONG WITH YOUR '05???

Also, where can you get an '06, there were non when I got mine 4 days ago.