E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

How to chnage the radio tuning to memory on the steering?

Old 07-10-2005, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
How to chnage the radio tuning to memory on the steering?

I just converted from a C32 to a E320 Sport. I am trying to figure out how to change the buttons on the steering wheel to change the radio station by the memory channels instead of the seek function. Is this possible? It was a setting in my C32, but I cannot find it in the books or anywhere else for that matter. I do not have the H/K.

Thanks
Old 07-10-2005, 08:05 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/29115-radio-control-multifunction-wheel.html
Says it's not possible.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/35416-how-skip-through-preset-radio-channels-steering-wheel.html
Some guys car does have it.
But others still say it can't be done.

My conclusion, it can't be done. However, I'd try the things mentioned in the second thread.

Good luck!
Old 07-10-2005, 02:14 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29115
Says it's not possible.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35416
Some guys car does have it.
But others still say it can't be done.

My conclusion, it can't be done. However, I'd try the things mentioned in the second thread.

Good luck!
The reason some say it can be done, is probably because they have a total of 10 stations where they live, lol.. (really).. Anyways, it can't be done. They need to allow this for Sirius and FM / AM via upgrade to SETTINGS in display.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:34 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Following through the thread with the guy who thought his W211 could scroll presets from the steering wheel, turns out that he was mistaken (as I read it, anyway). He thought that the strongest stations chosen by the system were what people meant by "presets", whereas what people really want is the ability to scroll the stations of their choice from the steering wheel, not the system-selected strongest stations.

Notice that the thread in question started over two years ago, and probably wasn't the first word on the subject. It's apparent that Mercedes is unable or unwilling to fix this problem, assuming that they are even aware of it as a "problem." Has anyone ever heard anything official from MBUSA on the subject?
Old 07-10-2005, 06:59 PM

04 C320 Coupe MT
Never heard anything official, however there is one thing - cars with MOST cannot change to scrolling through the memory. Don't know why - but it really is irritating, especially since the memory buttons could not be farther away from the driver!
Old 07-10-2005, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
What about the SAT radio, can stations be scrolled using steering wheel buttons?
Old 07-10-2005, 09:53 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

You betcha. If you want to go from Sirius Channel 01, let's say, to Sirius Channel 101 by the steering wheel controls, you have to push the "up" button only about 64 times (not every channel number is in use). Can you set "favorite" Sirius channels on the head unit? Yup. Can you scroll just those channels by the steering wheel? Nope.

I read that the Infiniti M lets you mix your choice of AM, FM and satellite channels in your presets, and scroll them through both the head unit and the steering wheel. But then, it doesn't have a Tristar emblem on the hood.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
What we need is a German build and designed car, with Japanese electronics engineering inside. that would be perfect.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:59 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by DWP
It's apparent that Mercedes is unable or unwilling to fix this problem, assuming that they are even aware of it as a "problem."
Knowing that the submenu in the IC can easily be activated through stardiagnose to let you swhich radio station search from presets to frequency - one can be sure of the fact that mercedes is aware of the "problem".
Mercedes simply switched this feature off as with the MOST based cars it doesn't matter how the setting is set, the system will always go through the frequencies when using the steering wheel buttons...

greetingz,
Old 07-11-2005, 11:25 AM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBenzNL
Knowing that the submenu in the IC can easily be activated through stardiagnose to let you swhich radio station search from presets to frequency - one can be sure of the fact that mercedes is aware of the "problem".
Mercedes simply switched this feature off as with the MOST based cars it doesn't matter how the setting is set, the system will always go through the frequencies when using the steering wheel buttons...
Since MOST (Media Oriented Systems Transport) is an automotive networking technology, it would not itself dictate whether presets could be scanned from the steering wheel. Even if the command from the steering wheel to the head unit travels via the MOST network, how the command is interpreted is up to the head unit, not the network, correct? With the right software/firmware, the head unit could presumably interpret an "up" or "down" command from the steering wheel as instructions to go to the next preset, not the next strong station.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:38 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Originally Posted by DWP
Since MOST (Media Oriented Systems Transport) is an automotive networking technology, it would not itself dictate whether presets could be scanned from the steering wheel. Even if the command from the steering wheel to the head unit travels via the MOST network, how the command is interpreted is up to the head unit, not the network, correct? With the right software/firmware, the head unit could presumably interpret an "up" or "down" command from the steering wheel as instructions to go to the next preset, not the next strong station.
Yeah, they would just have to make a new setting in the SETTINGS thing, scan all stations or scan by presets, and that is it.. it would interpret the up / down steering as a scan when you have the PRESET screen up. Simple to do really..
Old 07-11-2005, 11:47 AM

E350 Sport Package
Is your car a sport package? If yes, please see the following
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/113682-aware-w211-sport-package.html
Old 07-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by atssystems.com
Yeah, they would just have to make a new setting in the SETTINGS thing, scan all stations or scan by presets, and that is it.. it would interpret the up / down steering as a scan when you have the PRESET screen up. Simple to do really..
They don't even have to MAKE that setting as it IS already there...in every single W211 instrument cluster...mercedes just has it switched OFF (not active as a variable setteable menu) as it doesn't work with the presets anyways.

And yes,DWP - the preset/station control through the stearing wheel has nothing to do with MOST as the steering wheel controls are passed through to the AGW through CANBUS - but it wasn't untill the MOST based units that - IN THE MERCEDES - this feature is no longer working.

greetingz,
Old 07-11-2005, 06:01 PM

11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
What is so different between the W210 and W211 systems that MB turned this feature off? The W210 gives you the choice of preset or next strong signal.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E500 4matic, 2014 GL320, 2013 C300, 2015 Stingray
amazing...

Its just amazing that a company that prides itself on developing technology which make their cars safer still thinks reaching clear across the dash and taking ones eyes off the road to change the damn radio station preset isn't a priority since they've known about this for quite some time

aceman
Old 07-11-2005, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by aceman
Its just amazing that a company that prides itself on developing technology which make their cars safer still thinks reaching clear across the dash and taking ones eyes off the road to change the damn radio station preset isn't a priority since they've known about this for quite some time

aceman
As I recently installed Linguatronic in my car and am suddenly learning French to make it operate (I am using a French module), I can assure you that voice control resolves a lot of station selection issues.

Its not the same 'sans options' as the basic setup is nowhere near as much fun as the fully optioned cars.