E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Crackling noise while sunroof open

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320
Crackling noise while sunroof open

While my car is in the shop getting those rubberized "curtains" replaced on the sunroof, I asked the SA to look (again) at the overhead rear ambient lighting fixture...specifically the plastic white ring that covers the surround lighting.

To get an idea of how this sounds while driving…you can press on the ring with all five fingers (while the car is stopped) and you should hear the crackling noise…the wind buffeting while the sunroof is open accelerates this.

As I reported on this forum in the past, this is a sound like the crinkling of paper while driving at highway speeds with the sunroof fully open.

The foreman of the shop that mostly works on my car has disassembled that unit and either removed or added (have to talk to him later) material in attempts to stop this noise and he had it greatly reduced but not gone. Well......

I just received a call from the SA and he stated that the foreman, mentioned above, just got a new E and stated that his is doing the same thing and it is "normal" and "there is "no fix for it at the present time".

But that’s what they said about my audio problem also and that got resolved with the help of the of the regional manager.

Last edited by CaptMike; 09-20-2005 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:22 PM

2003 E320
Well....back from dealer. No mention on any of my or their paperwork that indicates that work was preformed on this item. My complaint was circled and "normal" was written beside it.

Time to call acquaintances in L.A.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:43 AM

Is your e320 an early or late 03? What other problems are you having?
Old 09-21-2005, 12:26 PM

2003 E320
It's an early E.

All past problems have been corrected...although it took over 1 year to correct the one regarding the audio problem that the service manager first reported as "all of the E's do this. It's normal"