E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Its official! Mercedes Navigation system is Crap!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by Sportstick
If one is not interested in the current time, buy a Rolex. We bought a pair for my wife and myself. Neither can keep time, although Rolex says they are "in spec", several minutes a month off being satisfactory to them. Brand reputation, so-called "class", and all those other distractions become meaningless when our Casio Solar Atomic watches keep precise time for a couple of hundred dollars. I've spoken with other Rolex owners who have similar experiences, and actually laugh at my more recent revelation of the Rolex sham and compare their watches to older Jaguars...just there for the looks, but they don't rely on them. So, we were fooled...once. Will never buy another one. If our Mercedes cars worked as poorly as a Rolex, they would be long gone.
Ah yes... the Rolex myth. When I brought my Rolex in because it was constantly off by 3-4 minutes per Week, and I complained it was a lousy timekeeper to the matron behind the counter at Tourneau, she hissed at me that...
" a Rolex is NOT a timekeeper... its a money keeper... If you want a Timekeeper, buy a Citizen."

So I got rid of the Rolex & bought a Tag... accurate to 4 seconds a year. (Didn't cost as much... hasn't got the resale value of the Rolex, [phony residual value of a Lease car anyone?] but I always know what time it is.)

Yes... none of us are running "missions" that need hair splitting accuracy, but a watch that is off several minutes every couple of weeks is wrong by a mile avery 2 months. If you buy a watch AND you first need to look at your wrist and then look around for a clock on the wall to know what time it really is, it doesn't matter what the watch is made of or how skilled the craftsmen were who made it... its still a piece of crap.

That's what did in General Motors. They made perfectly assembled mediocrity. The cars were well assembled but no better than mediocre, and people who were looking for a car and that weren't swayed by their hevilly discounted, rebate laden, zero per cent deals passed on those cars to the point that GM went broke.

Basic, non electronics laden Benzes of yore were progressive well made, safe classy tanks. Todays MBs with all the mediocre, not so deftly executed electronics are like Rolexes... although for the past couple of years MB seems to really be trying harder.

You can't buy a car for the same reason some people still buy a Rolex. They have to work perfectly and dependably... not just be assembled by craftsmen out of "good materials."

How would you feel sitting in the seat if Boeing or Airbus built a plane to Rolex's or 2000-2006 MBs standards?

But anyway.... our cars ar old, and yesterday's news, the 212s apparently have much better NAVs and electronics in general, so actually we're beating a dead horse... and the OP sold his 211 more than a couple of years ago during the Real estate crash.

Nevermind.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 07-28-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
the 212s apparently have much better NAVs and electronics in general,
False!
Old 08-05-2011, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W209 Clk Conv
lol alot of you guys are funny-want to know why the NAV SUCKS, because they had to make it old school to accommodate the the buyer demographics BABYBOOMERS AND OLDER (They are not tech friendly for the most part) why put a state of the art touch screen in when it wasnt a demmand for it at the time......Thats why if you look at the new generation of BENZ the are now up-to-date with features/display/postion if you want a good NAV trade in your old BENZ and buy a new one. Just sayin no reason to ***** about something that is all ready done n over BE HAPPY YOU ARE IN A BENZ.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by jph022575
lol alot of you guys are funny-want to know why the NAV SUCKS, because they had to make it old school to accommodate the the buyer demographics BABYBOOMERS AND OLDER (They are not tech friendly for the most part) why put a state of the art touch screen in when it wasnt a demmand for it at the time......Thats why if you look at the new generation of BENZ the are now up-to-date with features/display/postion if you want a good NAV trade in your old BENZ and buy a new one. Just sayin no reason to ***** about something that is all ready done n over BE HAPPY YOU ARE IN A BENZ.
Moderate youthful attempt at sarcastic humor...actually, touch screen has nothing to do with the MB shortcomings and is less effective in the automotive environment than voice control. The MB nav problems are in the programming and display capabilities, which MB has not addressed due to being a low investment priority, projected to have a neutral or negative business case for incremental vehicle or option volume, or simply lack of interest or stubbornness (similar to MB/BMW taking a decade to first figure out cup holders). One European nav supplier refuses to update its programming for the US to make it less averse to U-turns due to narrow winding roads in their home country, which has the end effect of providing odd routing in the US depending on which way the car is parked when the route request is made. I know this from them being a supplier of mine when I worked in the industry.

The new MB nav is still not that great. State of the art for navigation remains Garmin, using Navteq database, neither of which eludes the capabilities of this and many other baby boomers to fully utilize, thank you. Of all companies, Chrysler has just launched a joint venture with Garmin, so whatever you think of their cars, they now have state of the art nav, and several buff books have now offered that same opinion.

This doesn't mean MB isn't "aging" the brand, as you suggest. The evidence that MB is tuning in to the older crowd comes not from the simply poor navigation, but from actions such as dropping all manual transmissions and the advertising which shows older, disengaged, confused drivers being "saved" by new electronic safety features, rather than figuring out how to present new technology in a positive, energizing, and active manner.

Last edited by Sportstick; 08-05-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:44 AM

W209 Clk Conv
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Moderate youthful attempt at sarcastic humor...actually, touch screen has nothing to do with the MB shortcomings and is less effective in the automotive environment than voice control. The MB nav problems are in the programming and display capabilities, which MB has not addressed due to being a low investment priority, projected to have a neutral or negative business case for incremental vehicle or option volume, or simply lack of interest or stubbornness (similar to MB/BMW taking a decade to first figure out cup holders). One European nav supplier refuses to update its programming for the US to make it less averse to U-turns due to narrow winding roads in their home country, which has the end effect of providing odd routing in the US depending on which was the car is parked when the route request is made. I know this from them being a supplier of mine when I worked in the industry.

The new MB nav is still not that great. State of the art for navigation remains Garmin, using Navteq database, neither of which eludes the capabilities of this and many other baby boomers to fully utilize, thank you. Of all companies, Chrysler has just launched a joint venture with Garmin, so whatever you think of their cars, they now have state of the art nav, and several buff books have now offered that same opinion.

This doesn't mean MB isn't "aging" the brand, as you suggest. The evidence that MB is tuning in to the older crowd comes not from the simply poor navigation, but from actions such as dropping all manual transmissions and the advertising which shows older, disengaged, confused drivers being "saved" by new electronic safety features, rather than figuring out how to present new technology in a positive, energizing, and active manner.
Nice post -
Old 08-05-2011, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by jph022575
Nice post -
....for an old guy! (thanks )
Old 06-04-2013, 11:07 AM

ml430
MB Nav system does not work well

Since we all know the MB Navigation system does not work well...
if we took it to the dealers they would fix it. what exactly would they do?

How can I calibrate the system myself. I have heard it is a bizarre sets of keystrokes..... bizarre set of buttons to push in the correct sequence.

I love my '00 ML430. i would love to get the nav calibrated.

thanx a bunch
Old 06-11-2013, 10:18 PM

E 200 CDI Elegance 5G-Automatic MY 2010
I have the APS 50 Navigation with Linguatronic and I am absolutely satisied, there are no problems at all with this navi, the TMC works good as well and gives me all information I need -traffic jam, roadworks, traffic accidents and much more.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by Henrik-200 cdi
I have the APS 50 Navigation with Linguatronic and I am absolutely satisied, there are no problems at all with this navi, the TMC works good as well and gives me all information I need -traffic jam, roadworks, traffic accidents and much more.
Ours in the USA has no capabilities like that.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:35 PM

04 E500 Pewtergrey/ 06 E55 AMG White
Hell, I don't even know how to work the nav system in this car, i have tried and tried and no luck
Old 09-06-2013, 01:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 S211 E500 4Matic
Reading through this thread I am actually glad that my E500 didn't come with factory GPS. Perhaps the 1st owner tried it out and ordered the car without it.

On a side note, I have to agree that Japanese cars tend to have superior technological gizmos. I've experienced BMWs older iDrive and that was awful. Audis 1st gen GPS systems were laughable as well in early 2000s. I guess Mercedes didn't fall far behind the pack with crappy navigation systems.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:39 PM

2006 CDI
cant compare

to a 89 dollar garmin that auto updates and provides traffic
Old 03-25-2014, 08:56 AM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe, 2016 Audi A6 3.0
I like the NAV in my 2013 E350 Cab. Much better than the one in my 2012 BMW X3. It's more like the one I had in my 2006 Lexus SC430 but much more updated. Voice recog works flawlessly.