E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Its official! Mercedes Navigation system is Crap!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 01:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury fully loaded
Navigation system lost its way

Just upgraded to the 2007.1 version of the Nav DVD in my 04 E320. When I select a destination the Nav calculates a route that takes me on a tour of the country before it gets to the destination. Case in point. Today I was driving south on highway 101 in Sonoma County in Northern California going to the Mercedes Dealer in San Rafael who is located on the highway 101 frontage road. I selected the dealer from the POI menu because I wasn't sure which San Rafael exit to use. The route the Nav calculated took me out to the coast thru back roads then back to 101 at San Rafael and right to the dealer. This route would have taken me about 50 miles and 1 hour out of my way. I tried inputing several other locations where I knew there was a direct freeway route and the Nav did the same crazy thing. I checked the "mode" function to ensure that "don't use freeways" or any of the other options was NOT selected and they were not. It seems to me that bad software in the Head unit is causing this problem. The dealer has verified that I have the latest software but has not reloaded a clean version.
Has anyone else experienced this problem. BTW the reason I replace my original DVD (version 2004.1) with the latest 2007.1 version was that a few weeks ago while driving on Interstate 280 south of San Francisco the Nav system suddenly placed me in the middle of the Oakland hills across the bay. Turning off the unit and the car had no effect on its nervous breakdown. Is the head unit's software in flash memory? Is there a way to do a complete reset? maybe pulling the fuse?

Thanks
Old 09-24-2007, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
‘08 E-350 Sport, C6 Vette & Harley Davidson
I’m reluctant to reply because of some of the previous rude replies
to this thread but .. I’ll share this anyway:

I solved my MB Nav problems! All of them!

I bought a Garmin Nuvi 680 and put it on the windshield! That totally
fixed my MB Nav problems!

So you say crazy, costs 700 and it junks up the dash, etc, etc. Well,
maybe. But, now I have a Nav in my MB that is absolutely fantastic!
I mean fantastic! Great color, names streets, weather, traffic, and
takes you to the exact location! I love driving the car more than ever
now just to watch it! 4.3” screen is extremely easy to see and read.

I’ll get hate mail from this from the dead horse people, etc, but, that
little HI TECH Nav is truly unbelievable. So easy and quick to enter,
store and do everything!

I am thrilled with it and will never turn the drab, antiquated MB Nav
on again!

It’s your choice guys: put up with that MB Nav forever, or .. get the
hot new Nuvi 680 and thrill to a whole new driving experience all
over again!

jimm

==========

‘08 E350 Sport, P2, Black/black, Parktronic,
Voice, Bluetooth, Burl Walnut, Split rear seat,
Wood/leather steering wheel

[/I][/B]

Last edited by jimm; 09-24-2007 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:57 PM

2014 E350 4Matic, 2012 Kia Soul+
I don't think you'll get any hate mail. How the NAV works is important enough for some to go the external route. Me, well I can live with the MB weaknesses. It gets me to new addresses and I can enter the address when the car is moving. I don't really need traffic or weather. It's good enough for me.

At least you got a good one. Some of the cheaper ones are so slow. You should also post this in the accessories forum.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:00 PM

2006 Mercedes Benz E350
Originally Posted by jimm
I’m reluctant to reply because of some of the previous rude replies
to this thread but .. I’ll share this anyway:

I solved my MB Nav problems! All of them!

I bought a Garmin Nuvi 680 and put it on the windshield! That totally
fixed my MB Nav problems!

So you say crazy, costs 700 and it junks up the dash, etc, etc. Well,
maybe. But, now I have a Nav in my MB that is absolutely fantastic!
I mean fantastic! Great color, names streets, weather, traffic, and
takes you to the exact location! I love driving the car more than ever
now just to watch it! 4.3” screen is extremely easy to see and read.

I’ll get hate mail from this from the dead horse people, etc, but, that
little HI TECH Nav is truly unbelievable. So easy and quick to enter,
store and do everything!

I am thrilled with it and will never turn the drab, antiquated MB Nav
on again!

It’s your choice guys: put up with that MB Nav forever, or .. get the
hot new Nuvi 680 and thrill to a whole new driving experience all
over again!

jimm

==========

[/I][/B]
LOL! You'd think for the amount you spend for a Mercedes that it would have a top of the line nav system. My buddy just bought a Honda Odyssey and his nav system is way better than mine.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Mavrogenis
Just upgraded to the 2007.1 version of the Nav DVD in my 04 E320. When I select a destination the Nav calculates a route that takes me on a tour of the country before it gets to the destination. Case in point. Today I was driving south on highway 101 in Sonoma County in Northern California going to the Mercedes Dealer in San Rafael who is located on the highway 101 frontage road. I selected the dealer from the POI menu because I wasn't sure which San Rafael exit to use. The route the Nav calculated took me out to the coast thru back roads then back to 101 at San Rafael and right to the dealer. This route would have taken me about 50 miles and 1 hour out of my way. I tried inputing several other locations where I knew there was a direct freeway route and the Nav did the same crazy thing. I checked the "mode" function to ensure that "don't use freeways" or any of the other options was NOT selected and they were not. It seems to me that bad software in the Head unit is causing this problem. The dealer has verified that I have the latest software but has not reloaded a clean version.
Has anyone else experienced this problem. BTW the reason I replace my original DVD (version 2004.1) with the latest 2007.1 version was that a few weeks ago while driving on Interstate 280 south of San Francisco the Nav system suddenly placed me in the middle of the Oakland hills across the bay. Turning off the unit and the car had no effect on its nervous breakdown. Is the head unit's software in flash memory? Is there a way to do a complete reset? maybe pulling the fuse?

Thanks
I'm having the same problem. The new map seems to refuse to use any highway with carpool lanes. If you ignore it's route and get on the highway it says "Caution. Time-restricted traffic." My SA is researching the problem.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Extra NAV

Well to each his own. If you or anyone else is happy having a Garmin or some other make sitting on his dashboard, so be it.

However that is not my desire. The purpose of the NAV is not to have a pretty picture with all kind of views or to provide the weather or anything else. It's purpose is to get you to your destination with verbal direction and with some visual images to assist you in making the proper turn or getting in the proper lane. The MB NAV system does that very well...whether it be in a S550 or GL550. I could care less about touch screens and fancy colors...get me to my destination.

I have used the MB NAV in a cross country trip, in local travel and never once did it misdirect me or get me lost. As far as exact addresses...it gets me extremely close, like the driveway to my house. I find that most users do not know the full potential of most NAV units. I use verbal input for all my NAV destinations and it is fast and accurate. It will set up a detour, reroute if you miss a turn, it allow finding a POI by stating the phone #, etc, etc, etc. I use the display in the MFD when approaching complex interchanges for a detailed view of the lane arrangements.

Sure there are some improvements that could be added and probably will be like the latest ability to use Google or Yahoo maps to plan a trip and download it to your cars NAV. This is available in the S, CL and C class and will probably be in the 2009 GL if they replace the DVD with the HD system.

I for one do not have a problem with the NAV in the GL...YMMV...
Old 09-25-2007, 01:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
06 e350 17 glc300
hi can you explain how to do this verbal input on the nav? ive was hoping that this could do this but couldnt figure out how

thanks
Old 09-25-2007, 01:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by yikes
hi can you explain how to do this verbal input on the nav? ive was hoping that this could do this but couldnt figure out how

thanks
I guess it does not work with your E or C, it does work on the W221 that NJ had and I assume on later cars, must include the GL as he does not mention a difference to the W221. I understand it would work on a W204 too, the system on the W204 should actually be further improved from the W221. Of course the car would have to be equipped with linguatronic/voice guidance.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
06 e350 17 glc300
i figured this was a 211 sub forum so when mentioned...i thought it would work for E's.....guess not

would it be possible one day for a command type update to get this to work?
the acuras have this..it be a shame that E's cant

thanks

Last edited by yikes; 09-25-2007 at 02:07 AM.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:19 AM
Almost a Member!

'08 E350 Sport, '03 Lexus GX470
I just want the ability to search by business name. There have been multiple occassions where I'm looking for store and can't find it because it doesn't fall under any particular POI and I don't know the address.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
I guess it does not work with your E or C, it does work on the W221 that NJ had and I assume on later cars, must include the GL as he does not mention a difference to the W221. I understand it would work on a W204 too, the system on the W204 should actually be further improved from the W221. Of course the car would have to be equipped with linguatronic/voice guidance.
I thought this was a GL thread when I responded. The GL550 has the Voice Control as standard just like the S550. If the E or C has Voice Control added as an option then you should be able to control NAV (and other COMAND) functions with it. There is a small manual included which explains how to use it with NAV and Telephone functions. Trying to explain how to use it here would be futile. I am still refining my skills with the manual in front of me...:-)

The new C does have this capability but I don't know if Voice Control is standard or optional. Voice Control can be added later in some models but is expensive...maybe around $2K or so???
Old 09-25-2007, 09:11 AM

Harley-Davidson
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
. . . If the E . . . has Voice Control added as an option then you should be able to control NAV (and other COMAND) functions with it. . .
Sorry to correct you, Jack, but the E (even the 2008) cannot control ANY Nav functions via voice control. So are you saying that your GL does all the voice control tricks that your S-Class did?
Old 09-25-2007, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cyclerider
Sorry to correct you, Jack, but the E (even the 2008) cannot control ANY Nav functions via voice control. So are you saying that your GL does all the voice control tricks that your S-Class did?
Yes. I can (this from the Voice Control Manual) enter addresses, select last destination, enter a POI, save a destination, navigate to a destination in the destination memory, start route guidance, display the map, zoom in or zoom out and listen to the destination memory. If route guidance is active, you can also cancel route guidance, turn guidance on and off, display the map and zoom in and out.

Telephone, audio and radio can also be controlled using Voice COMAND.

If your E cannot do some of this are you sure you have the Voice Control module installed?
Old 09-25-2007, 09:25 AM

Harley-Davidson
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
. . . If your E cannot do some of this are you sure you have the Voice Control module installed?
My E550 has Voice Control installed at the factory. E-Class vehicles have no voice control over navigation functions. We do have control over radio, CD, and phone, but NOT over SIRIUS satellite radio.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:36 AM

2014 E350 4Matic, 2012 Kia Soul+
The W211 voice control does not do any NAV functions, but since it works in the GL and S, I'll expect it in the upcoming MY2010 (W212).
Old 09-25-2007, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by edspider
The W211 voice control does not do any NAV functions, but since it works in the GL and S, I'll expect it in the upcoming MY2010 (W212).
That model will have a greatly improved COMAND, probably with major improvements over the S550. I am sure you will have voice and perhaps even some touch and certainly some kind of iDrive button like the new C. Take a look at the new C specs for entertainment and control and that will be a good preview for the up and coming models in 2009 and beyond.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:36 PM

2006 E350 4matic-09 Nissan GTR
Updated software

My dealer very kindly installed the latest software update for free even though it is not meant for my350E 2006
I like the ETA feature and on gentle turns now say "turn slightly to the left"
Am very happy with Prime Motors Scarborough ME
Old 09-25-2007, 07:40 PM

I'm taking my 04 E320 in for service on my Nav system. How do I ask for the latest Nav system software, i.e., was it only suppose to be for the 08MY E350 but will work in the older E's? My understanding from this forum is that the Nav system in the E's has not changed since they were first installed in the 03 model. If that's correct than any software the "flash" to the head unit will work.
BTW how has your ETA (Estimated time of arrival) changed? My unit provides (non-verbally) that data when I tell it to start route guidance. I can also access an updated ETA by pressing the top left side soft key.

Thanks
Jim
Old 09-25-2007, 08:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Mavrogenis
How do I ask for the latest Nav system software
Mention DTB P-B-82.60/382b and the dealer will update the COMAND head unit software with service disc W211589142200 at no cost - all 211s, all MYs.

New:
- User can mute the navigation voice recommendation with quick MUTE press instead of press & hold
- Choice to display ETA for distance and time in the status line
- Telephone signal strength meter in status line during active Route Guidance

If you want the latest navigation “mapping” software you will need to purchase 2007.1 MBUSA part # BQ6460229.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the quick and thorough response. Very timely since I'm scheduled at the dealer tomorrow AM.

Thanks Again
James
Old 10-01-2007, 10:11 AM

‘08 E-350 Sport, C6 Vette & Harley Davidson
By the way, can you get the P2 pkg without the Nav? Then install
a 3rd party nav?

I plan to trade my 2008 in two years. I will consider another MB.
But, if MB is STILL way behind all others in Navs when the 2010’s
come out, the only way I will buy another MB is if it is up with all
the other car Navs. (Love those Navs.)

jimm

==========

Old 10-01-2007, 10:23 AM

Harley-Davidson
Originally Posted by jimm
By the way, can you get the P2 pkg without the Nav?
Nope.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:25 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
S213 2020 E450 4Matic CDN Spec 07/19 build
I'd be willing to buy a used, working NAV drive off someone who's not using theirs.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:06 AM

2008 Dodge Charger R/T
Originally Posted by Spartan
What the hell is going on with all the anti-Mercedes crap?

If I wanted a navigation system, I'd give the wife a map and she will nag me to ANY destination on EARTH!
Well put....Get over it, people!!!
Old 12-03-2007, 08:51 PM

03 CLK55, 03 S500 4MATIC
MB sucks

I'm a mercedes benz fanatic. but the navi has dissapointed me.

They worry about partnering with IWC for AMG, SANTONI AMG SHOES, SLR TAG HEUER. PARTNER WITH SONY stupid!

seriously, what is my favorite car maker thinking? face it, technology is what makes the car as well in this day of age.
at least the new S class has a hard drive and memory stick slot.

and whoever said japan is copying everything, your not very smart. Japan is 20 years ahead of the U.S. you didnt know that?

and who is defending the germans, saying they almost took over ther world. are you stupid?????? what is good about that??? we would all be enslaved driving Volkswagons!!!

you guys need to think, seriously think. and touch screen is comfortable and easy, but buttons are also good just as well. try calling someone using the IPHONE while driving, since you cant feel the buttons you need to look at the phone and then make sure the buttons were pressed or not.

theres a reason why mercedes and bmw's dont use touch screen. there main clients are old rich ppl. the older you are the more likely you have more money. old ppl dont like touch screen of fancy electronics. but they need to b/c this day in age, is TECHNOLOGY, thank you ACURA!!!

but hey we cant complain here, the honda NAVS are better than ROLLS ROYCE PHANTOM AND MAYBACHS 62, but shame on you benz

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Its official! Mercedes Navigation system is Crap!!!!