E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Its official! Mercedes Navigation system is Crap!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its big and Grey!
Its official! Mercedes Navigation system is Crap!!!!

My 2000 Acura TL was 10x better than this turd they put in my dash.

Today as work I am like I was subs. I found a quiznos. I selected it. It drove me to the middle of a ****in residential neighborhood and said that we were there. WTF? there was no stores for at least a few miles!

This navi is so Dated, I would just love to have my old 2000 TL navi installed in this car.

Yea, I was later gettting back than I planned cause I had to go somewhere else.

It also pisses me to no end that I cant enter a house #. All I can do is ranges? that sucks!

On my TL navi, I could put any commercial phone number into the navi and it will give me directions to it, anywhere in the country.

200 Acura TL Navi > 2006 MERCEDES Navi
Old 11-20-2005, 03:02 PM

and you're not even comparing the new TL navi...
Old 11-20-2005, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
My 2005 Tl and 04 Odyssey Navigation system are eons ahead of what my E class has. I am waiting to see how the new S class fares in comparison to the Honda/Acura Navigation systems which are the best in the industry. Oh, and they are made my Alpine too lol. One of the key suppliers for MB.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Mercedes Navi's have always been crap. Except for the S-Class Comand. They were okay.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
Originally Posted by 1999TL
and you're not even comparing the new TL navi...
I KNOW! I KNOW!

I was in a friends car 2005 TL, damn. it was nice. touch screen. Much larger screen that old and the current benz. Standard voice activation.

Old 11-20-2005, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by 2manytoys
I KNOW! I KNOW!

I was in a friends car 2005 TL, damn. it was nice. touch screen. Much larger screen that old and the current benz. Standard voice activation.

The Bluetooth was what sold me lol. I might be getting an 06 RL with technology package. I would like to see how well the Traffic functions work on the RL.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Isn't that sad...for a freakin high end car like these they can't even put in a nice nav....even little Honda cars have way better nav than the Mercedes..what the hell are they thinking.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
The Bluetooth was what sold me lol. I might be getting an 06 RL with technology package. I would like to see how well the Traffic functions work on the RL.
Ive heard great things from the RL.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by apdesign
what the hell are they thinking.
Apparently they werent when they designed it.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:46 PM

2005 E-500
Talking But you will still be driving a Honda

Don't disagree that the NAV system is not up to the Japanese, but I rather not have any NAV system then driving a Honda (I know it is an Accura). You have to judge the entire package, not just one element.

Sunny in San Francisco
Old 11-20-2005, 03:52 PM

For the price you pay for a Mercedes, its pretty sad that their standards are below that of a Honda/Acura, that is the point they are trying to make. The navi, not the car as a whole. Honda/Acura is a great car functionally. Style wise, not me though.

Last edited by superduper; 11-20-2005 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Originally Posted by larryssf
Don't disagree that the NAV system is not up to the Japanese, but I rather not have any NAV system then driving a Honda (I know it is an Accura). You have to judge the entire package, not just one element.

Sunny in San Francisco
That still doesn't justify the poor design of the Nav.

I was going home yesterday traveling on I-93 North and the Nav told me to go all the way to Cambridge before going home in Back Bay, which is ridiculous........ My CD-based COMAND that I had in the 203 won't do that
Old 11-20-2005, 04:04 PM

1998 ML320; 2005 Audi A6; 2006 Honda Pilot

It also pisses me to no end that I cant enter a house #. All I can do is ranges? that sucks!
:
Are you serious, you can not enter an exact street address? Will it recalculate and adjust routes if you deviate from the streets that it selects? I was driving an Audi the other day and was impressed how it immediately adjusted and also how it showed the name of the street I was on in the center display (between the gauges). Does the MB Nav do this? What about zooming in and out? Does anyone have an Audi and a Mercedes? Is the Audi Nav also a piece of crap?
Old 11-20-2005, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
Originally Posted by Calcio
Are you serious, you can not enter an exact street address? Will it recalculate and adjust routes if you deviate from the streets that it selects? I was driving an Audi the other day and was impressed how it immediately adjusted and also how it showed the name of the street I was on in the center display (between the gauges). Does the MB Nav do this? What about zooming in and out? Does anyone have an Audi and a Mercedes? Is the Audi Nav also a piece of crap?
Yes I am completely serious. My old TL took me to the driveway. The benz takes me to the end of my street 1/5 mile away. Then I have to start looking at the numbers on the house.

On a side note, it auto calculates but the routes it picks usually SUCK!
Old 11-20-2005, 04:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E500 4matic, 2014 GL320, 2013 C300, 2015 Stingray
OK - I'll agree...

The nav is CLEARLY inferior, and its a disgrace for a 50K+ car not to have top notch electronics. There are many on this board that don't put a priority on electronics - i'm not one of them. IF these guys has spent some R&D $$$ or just outsourced to the right companies, they would have not only the finest riding vehicle on the street, but wouldn't be blown away by rivals w/ their electronics. With that said however - do keep in mind, the nav can be installed for 1200 or so, while acura/others charge like 2000 for theirs so at least we're not getting bent over twice!

Aceman
Old 11-20-2005, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Welcome to the new world of "Best car in the world, but.."

Do a search, and you'll see that I went thru this already with a few members.. MB's electronics "Gee Wiz" package is WAY LACKING for the price of the car.

A $49,000 TL has every option in the book, and they work well...

the trade off is the build quality of the MB is better, and the FWD of the Acura is crappy (even if they call it AWD).

I won't leave MB anytime soon for the Japanese GeeWiz stuff, but I suspect many will unless MB becomes more competitive on this.

My friends Honda Mini Van has voice activated NAV and other Voice activated features such as windows, doors, locks, etc... and all for <$30K

I paid (now upwards of $58K) for a car, and then had to pay $700 to add voice command which is majorly lacking, but worth it for the fact that I can now change the radio station without looking away while I drive!
Old 11-20-2005, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by aceman
The nav is CLEARLY inferior, and its a disgrace for a 50K+ car not to have top notch electronics. There are many on this board that don't put a priority on electronics - i'm not one of them. IF these guys has spent some R&D $$$ or just outsourced to the right companies, they would have not only the finest riding vehicle on the street, but wouldn't be blown away by rivals w/ their electronics. With that said however - do keep in mind, the nav can be installed for 1200 or so, while acura/others charge like 2000 for theirs so at least we're not getting bent over twice!

Aceman
yeah but look how inferior our NAV is. an $800 difference is justfiable.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:47 PM

06 320E CDI, Porsche 911 C2, Pontiac Montana
What the hell is going on with all the anti-Mercedes crap?

If I wanted a navigation system, I'd give the wife a map and she will nag me to ANY destination on EARTH!
Old 11-20-2005, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
If the MBZ NAV is as good as the Japanese brands, even if they charge me $3K, I would still get it in a heart beat, no doubt about that.

The deal with CANBUS tying all the components together can suck some time.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by Spartan
What the hell is going on with all the anti-Mercedes crap?

If I wanted a navigation system, I'd give the wife a map and she will nag me to ANY destination on EARTH!
Can't say anything but I couldnt agree with you more man.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
its not anti mercedes. I love my car.

Its just I expected more from the designers/engineers.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its just I expected more from the designers/engineers.
don't blame them... the German Engineer is legendary for his abilities. That country almost ruled the world had it not been for their small resources.. and at the end of that war, they had the most advanced technology in the world for the most part (which is why the majority of German scientists/engineers were sent to US and Russia)..

Blame the idiots in the marketing and finance departments that are trying to run this 120 year old icon of automotive production like a division of GM..
Old 11-20-2005, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
There are some that put gizmos first and some that put engineering first.
This is my first MB and my first car with a nav system, I find it quite satisfactory and usefull the way it is.... If there are other automakers with better systems then thats great, but they are surely lacking in other things that the MB is not. If gizmos are your thing then I think you may have made a bad choice in autos when choosing a Mercedes.... MB is certainly a well built car (mechanicly) and that's what I was looking for when choosing my ride. I hate to say it but if the nav was so importaint to you and gets you so upset about its short comings that you would cry about it here, then I have to wonder why you didn't check it out more carefully and do your homework on the system before your purchase?????
Old 11-20-2005, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
then I have to wonder why you didn't check it out more carefully and do your homework on the system before your purchase?????
to be fair to our new friend, I have to say that (and I will never do this again, mind you) it's one of things that many people just "assume" about a car of this price range.. that it's going to have the "latest" technology.

That said, the first 3 letters of "Assume" are ***... and that is how I feel about not doing more "due diligence" before I bought.

The rub is... I still would have bought the car, as I really liked the Diesel, and the ride/feel of the car.. build quality also seemed on face value to be superior. So it may not have changed much in this respect.. which is why I think owners like us should simply voice concern to MBUSA on such matters, so as to get them to 'wake up" before the loose some of us on the next car.. (myself, if I leave, it would have to be to BMW or Audi.. nothing else compares).
Old 11-20-2005, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
We'll just have to see how the new nav works in the W221. That's what we are stuck with for the next 3-5 years for better or worse.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Its official! Mercedes Navigation system is Crap!!!!