E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Mercedes-Benz E-Class reliability - how does it truly compare?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 CDI
add differential seal leaks, subframe bushings worn out. 05 E320 CDI with 79000 km.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Starting this month we have a new question to measure, as objectively as possible, the severity of a problem. Many people have been asking for reliability stats that weight problems by how severe they are, and once we have enough responses with the revised survey we'll start providing this.

Also this month: updated reliability stats.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by mkaresh
Starting this month we have a new question to measure, as objectively as possible, the severity of a problem. Many people have been asking for reliability stats that weight problems by how severe they are, and once we have enough responses with the revised survey we'll start providing this.

Also this month: updated reliability stats.
Thank you for setting this system up. I have been providing data since day 1. I also use the info for selection of my next new vehcile. thanks again. vettdvr
Old 11-20-2010, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E200 kompressor class
Due to new job opportunity I moved to Turkey and I purchased a e200 Kompressor model 2003 model, it cost me 34,000 Euro (thats right cars are very expensive here), yet labor is very cheap here hence car is in best condition. I would definetley recommend. good for city use.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 E350
I've always been to dealer for regular service. Have 92k miles on an 04 e320. Had an ignition failure. Other than that, trouble free.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We have updated results for the E-Class to include owner experiences through September 30, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the months since April until the summer or even fall of next year.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 51, about avearge

2007: 95, about average

2006: 43, better than average

2005: 76, about average

Small sample size for the 2008.

Thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help:

Mercedes-Benz E-Class reliability ratings and comparisons
Old 01-20-2011, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Unfortunately the sample sizes are way too small to be informative. Frequency of repair per 100 cars but based on what size sample? 100? 200? 300? There are hundreds of thousands of E Class cars on the road. This is the problem of certain participant based surveys. There just aren't enough participants.

And of course, the only way to truly know MB reliability is to have access to dealer and MBUSA records..... but that will never happen.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A little larger would be nice, but the sample sizes aren't way too small. You don't need a sample size in the hundreds to measure overall reliability.

Saying that the only way to do something is impossible is just an excuse for doing nothing.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A little larger would be nice, but the sample sizes aren't way too small. You don't need a sample size in the hundreds to measure overall reliability.

Saying that the only way to do something is impossible is just an excuse for doing nothing.
Maybe I'm too pea-brained to understand, but if you have 50 people responding and all 50 have different repair issues, how does that really reflect on a production of say, 20,000 vehicles? It could be that those 50 happened to have issues and reported them on your website. While the rest decided not to report (and/or never heard of your website) or maybe never had any repair issues. How can one really extrapolate with such a sample? If all 50 were the exact same repair, then that would indicate a common issue. Like the 335i and the HPFP issues. Those sort of common issues get revealed very quickly on the internet now. Certain known issues versus overall reliability.

Isn't that why Powers and CR do massive mailings to get a 'proper' sample size? Isn't that why all market research companies offer a guaranteed sample size when contracting to a client? And even then statisticians will still admit "it is always dicey to extrapolate from a sample."

I'm not trying to imply that your attempt shouldn't be applauded. I think it's great and you should be encouraged (I've reported my data to your site.) And I like that it's qualitative besides just quantitative.

It's just that when I see 5 reports and they're all various and different degrees of repairs and the model therefore gets a red light, then all I can think of is where are the rest of the thousands of owners. And just like on all car forums, when people have troubles with their car, they're more apt to want to say something. Consumers like to have platforms on which to vent (just like I'm doing right now ) But if my car is running flawlessly, I'm not going to be thinking about it too much......
Old 01-21-2011, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by 220S
Maybe I'm too pea-brained to understand, but if you have 50 people responding and all 50 have different repair issues, how does that really reflect on a production of say, 20,000 vehicles? It could be that those 50 happened to have issues and reported them on your website. While the rest decided not to report (and/or never heard of your website) or maybe never had any repair issues. How can one really extrapolate with such a sample? If all 50 were the exact same repair, then that would indicate a common issue. Like the 335i and the HPFP issues. Those sort of common issues get revealed very quickly on the internet now. Certain known issues versus overall reliability.

Isn't that why Powers and CR do massive mailings to get a 'proper' sample size? Isn't that why all market research companies offer a guaranteed sample size when contracting to a client? And even then statisticians will still admit "it is always dicey to extrapolate from a sample."

I'm not trying to imply that your attempt shouldn't be applauded. I think it's great and you should be encouraged (I've reported my data to your site.) And I like that it's qualitative besides just quantitative.

It's just that when I see 5 reports and they're all various and different degrees of repairs and the model therefore gets a red light, then all I can think of is where are the rest of the thousands of owners. And just like on all car forums, when people have troubles with their car, they're more apt to want to say something. Consumers like to have platforms on which to vent (just like I'm doing right now ) But if my car is running flawlessly, I'm not going to be thinking about it too much......
If I remember correctly you need to determine the standard deviation for the change you want to see, then divide the STD by the change you want to observe to determine the minimum sample size to see the desired change.

However since you would not be looking for a 99.7% or +/- 6 sigma total bell curve distribution on the particular problem you probably would not draw enough data to make any recommnedation.

However Consumer reports shows pretty much the same data.

So if you consider the entire MB Total of cars in the list and compare to all the others vehicles on a time frequency it is hard to ignore all the data from

Consumer Reports, True Delta, and JD Powell for reliability.

The MB was not even in the top 5 this year on reliability.

But then why believe any of them just buy what ever you want and be happy.

Or continue to critize the data base as others have done in the past.

But what's the point. Where is your data?
Old 01-21-2011, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 220S

I'm not aware of any statistician who says "it is always dicey to extrapolate from a sample." For the most part this is what statisticians do, it's why they have jobs. You might be thinking about a non-random sample with nothing in the research design to compensate for it--as in your typical Internet survey. Those are definitely dicey. TrueDelta's survey is designed to compensate for the nature of the sample, though.

I understand where you're coming from about the number of different repairs, but when computing overall reliability the varied repairs don't pose a large problem. Think of it this way: even though people ultimately die from many different things, how large would the sample have to be to get a pretty good idea of the average life expectancy?

You do need a larger sample to look at specific types of repairs, which is why I haven't been doing this. JD Power tries to look at dozens of different problems. CR breaks down problem rates into 16 or so problem areas.

And their minimum sample sizes aren't nearly as large as you seem to think they are, 225 (last I saw a number) for JD Power and 100 for Consumer Reports.

TrueDelta's minimum sample size for what it does is more adequate than theirs are for what they try to do. Given how CR calculates its system-level dots, their sample size should be about 1,000.

This said, I would like to eventually bump our minimum sample size to at least 50, where I've observed hardly any results that seem off. But first it's important to broaden our coverage, because this is what gets more people to participate, which increases the sample sizes.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by vettdvr

The MB was not even in the top 5 this year on reliability.

But then why believe any of them just buy what ever you want and be happy.

Or continue to critize the data base as others have done in the past.

But what's the point. Where is your data?
"Where's my data?" "What's my point?" I have no idea what your point is, sorry. I'm simply asking questions and have my own concerns and would like clarification.

But I will say this: your own personal experience with a car that has given you issues has certainly colored your view. It's apparent in all of your posts. You do have a bias, there's no denying that. And sure it's understandable, I'd no doubt feel the same. But perhaps it's time to cut it loose and let it all go. You do have choices in life. Maybe try to get over it, instead of being the jilted lover who forever feels betrayed and bitter.

I'm not aware of any statistician who says "it is always dicey to extrapolate from a sample." For the most part this is what statisticians do, it's why they have jobs. You might be thinking about a non-random sample with nothing in the research design to compensate for it--as in your typical Internet survey. Those are definitely dicey. TrueDelta's survey is designed to compensate for the nature of the sample, though.

I understand where you're coming from about the number of different repairs, but when computing overall reliability the varied repairs don't pose a large problem. Think of it this way: even though people ultimately die from many different things, how large would the sample have to be to get a pretty good idea of the average life expectancy?

You do need a larger sample to look at specific types of repairs, which is why I haven't been doing this. JD Power tries to look at dozens of different problems. CR breaks down problem rates into 16 or so problem areas.

And their minimum sample sizes aren't nearly as large as you seem to think they are, 225 (last I saw a number) for JD Power and 100 for Consumer Reports.

TrueDelta's minimum sample size for what it does is more adequate than theirs are for what they try to do. Given how CR calculates its system-level dots, their sample size should be about 1,000.

This said, I would like to eventually bump our minimum sample size to at least 50, where I've observed hardly any results that seem off. But first it's important to broaden our coverage, because this is what gets more people to participate, which increases the sample sizes.
Thanks Michael for more comments. I find it sort of interesting although more from the theoretical and philosophical side of things (how do humans base their behavior on information and the quality of information in general.) I once taught in a university that had an actuarial department (not my department) and the 'joke' (or adage, whatever you want to call it) among sample researchers was "it is always dicey to extrapolate from a sample." I'm assuming they were just poking fun at themselves.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Until recently my wife worked as an actuary (she's now helping with the site). Though they have complete data on the people they insure, and so don't have to work with a sample per se, they must make loads of assumptions. They are also trying to assign risks for hundreds of different medical conditions, so if they do in some case work with a sample I can see how it would seem dicey.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We have updated results for the E-Class to include owner experiences through December 31, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the months since April until the summer or even fall of this year.

2008: 29, better than average

2007: 88, about average

2006: 52, better than average

2005: 84, about average

Small sample size for the 2008.

Thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help:

Old 07-12-2011, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We have updated our reliability stats for the W211 E-Class to include owner experiences through March 31, 2011.

2008: 40, better than average

2007: 79, about average

2006: 49, better than average

2005: 86, about average

We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Old 10-11-2011, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We have updated our car reliability stats for the W211 E-Class to include owner experiences through June 30, 2011.

2008: 65, about average

2007: 62, about average

2006: 49, better than average

2005: 71, about average

2003: 130, about average, very small sample size

We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Old 10-16-2011, 12:21 PM

2006 E 320 cdi
I drove only BMW's for over twenty years. Local dealer was a friend so had no service problems but traded in every 2-3 yeras for a new one. Now retired and driving Mercs because they last. Just sold my E270 CDI and got a clean, one owner, FSH, 2006 E320 CDI with 80,000km on the clock. Both are used as taxi's in Europe and a million km+ is not uncommon on the original engine. Got our first new Merc for my wife in 1998. Our daughter still has it at over 300,000km. No problems to date.
Reliability and safety are my reasons for staying with Merc. I prefer the W211 to the new shape E class and the 320 CDI has plenty of power with over 600nm of torque.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We have updated our reliability stats for the W211 E-Class (on our redesigned site) to include owner experiences through September 30, 2011.

2009: no repairs reported, 13 cars (very small sample size)

2008: 84, about average

2007: 63, about average

2006: 52, better than average

2005: 75, about average

2003: 121, about average, very small sample size

Thank you, once again, everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates later this month and in May. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:30 PM

2003 E320
My 03 has been spotty but looks and drives like a new car at 94,800 miles.

Here is what has been done, including maintenance.

11/3/04 10,869 Mobil One Synthetic 0w-40
12/24/05 19,660 Merc-Benz Synthetic 5w-40
5/3/06 26,000 Mobil One Synthetic 0w-40 and filter,change brake fluid, replace rear brake pads
Warranty work: SBC wiring harness, Battery control unit, voltage regulator
8/11/06 30,580 Warranty: LFT Strut air suspension assembly replace ,front axle carrier bolt
9/8/06 31,375 Mobil One Synthetic 5w-40 and filter
2/13/07 37,228 Mobil One Synthetic 5w-40 Front Brake Pads and Sensor replaced, air filter
Warranty work: Transmission leak repair, replace guide bushings, perform shift adaptations
Replaced all motor mounts and transmission mounts, electrohydraulic control unit
Replaced transmission gaskets
3/28/07 38,430 Warranty: RT Strut air suspension assembly replace
8/8/07 44,022 Mobil One Synthetic 5w-40
3/5/08 49,764 2 Lower ball joints
6/6/08 53,857 Mobil One Synthetic 5w-40
10/9/08 56,710 2 Front control arms, interior clean, state inspection
10/18/08 56,809 Replaced power steering pump, balance 4 tires and alignment
12/11/08 58,059 Mobil One Synthetic 5w-30
10/20/09 65,351 Mobil One Synthetic 5w-30, replaced front brakes and rotors, check battery charge
10/4/10 73,592 Mobil One Synthetic 5w-30
12/23/10 78,276 Replaced brake accumulator and brake fluid
2/21/11 79,767 Mobil One Synthetic 5w-30
Replaced left lower ball joint and left steeringrod end, repair transmission leak (gasket and plug adaptor)
3/15/11 80,400 Replaced rear air suspension
10/15/11 89,000 Synthetic oil and filter change, cabin and air filters replaced
11/1/11 89,500 New right rear tire due to flat and 4 wheel alignment. Jeffreys got it right, NAPA was way off on alignment
11/15/11 91,000 Brake sensor replacement - Brake warning came on
1/3/12 93,000 Cruise control stalk repaired- trouble shooting difficulty. Throttle body cleaned and replaced intake o-ring
2/4/12 93,890 Replaced RR tire

Trying to decide how much longer to keep the car. Love it but it has not been the cheapest to drive. Not expecting anything else until 100,000 maintenance.

Most expensive cars I have owned have been Chrysler minivans!
Old 03-14-2012, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by Gunnar
My 03 has been spotty but looks and drives like a new car at 94,800 miles.

Here is what has been done, including maintenance.

11/3/04 10,869 Mobil One Synthetic 0w-40
12/24/05 19,660 Merc-Benz Synthetic 5w-40
5/3/06 26,000 Mobil One Synthetic 0w-40 and filter,change brake fluid, replace rear brake pads
Warranty work: SBC wiring harness, Battery control unit, voltage regulator
8/11/06 30,580 Warranty: LFT Strut air suspension assembly replace ,front axle carrier bolt
9/8/06 31,375 Mobil One Synthetic 5w-40 and filter
2/13/07 37,228 Mobil One Synthetic 5w-40 Front Brake Pads and Sensor replaced, air filter
Warranty work: Transmission leak repair, replace guide bushings, perform shift adaptations
Replaced all motor mounts and transmission mounts, electrohydraulic control unit
Replaced transmission gaskets
3/28/07 38,430 Warranty: RT Strut air suspension assembly replace
8/8/07 44,022 Mobil One Synthetic 5w-40
3/5/08 49,764 2 Lower ball joints
6/6/08 53,857 Mobil One Synthetic 5w-40
10/9/08 56,710 2 Front control arms, interior clean, state inspection
10/18/08 56,809 Replaced power steering pump, balance 4 tires and alignment
12/11/08 58,059 Mobil One Synthetic 5w-30
10/20/09 65,351 Mobil One Synthetic 5w-30, replaced front brakes and rotors, check battery charge
10/4/10 73,592 Mobil One Synthetic 5w-30
12/23/10 78,276 Replaced brake accumulator and brake fluid
2/21/11 79,767 Mobil One Synthetic 5w-30
Replaced left lower ball joint and left steeringrod end, repair transmission leak (gasket and plug adaptor)
3/15/11 80,400 Replaced rear air suspension
10/15/11 89,000 Synthetic oil and filter change, cabin and air filters replaced
11/1/11 89,500 New right rear tire due to flat and 4 wheel alignment. Jeffreys got it right, NAPA was way off on alignment
11/15/11 91,000 Brake sensor replacement - Brake warning came on
1/3/12 93,000 Cruise control stalk repaired- trouble shooting difficulty. Throttle body cleaned and replaced intake o-ring
2/4/12 93,890 Replaced RR tire

Trying to decide how much longer to keep the car. Love it but it has not been the cheapest to drive. Not expecting anything else until 100,000 maintenance.

Most expensive cars I have owned have been Chrysler minivans!
Looks like mine on my 2003 E500

Airmatic compressor/brakes Fr x 2 / Rear brakes 1/rear springs/rear airmatic shocks/front lf airmatic strut,woodgrain panel,ignition key,door locks, ball joints,tranny leak, motor mounts,a/c,belt idle pulley,SBT total failure, and the list goes on. I am at 117,000 and the cost of parts/installatiion was equal to about ~40% of the purchase price to keep it going. A very clear sign of poor reliability IMO. I am car shopping for new one next year. MB.. probably not.

My E500 still drives like a new car, very solid. It has been maintained by dealer exclusive of a few oil changes I did myself.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:29 AM

2003 E320
Much of mine is maintenance but there are several big ticket items that should not have failed. Wish I could see into the future to tell if the next 8 years will look like the last. Might be much worse, maybe not.

Every time I consider a Toyota, Honda or even the new Hyundais I cant bring myself to buy one. Just so boring. Yes less $$$ to own but I like to enjoy my cars. To me an appliance that moves me from point A to B is not appealing. We have a GL and my old E320.

This is why I enjoy this forum so much, although I admit, I have been only a reader for several years. Save me big money just reading.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Airmatic is the weakest link in many Mercedes. Cars without it tend to require far less TLC.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Much of mine is maintenance but there are several big ticket items that should not have failed. Wish I could see into the future to tell if the next 8 years will look like the last. Might be much worse, maybe not.

Every time I consider a Toyota, Honda or even the new Hyundais I cant bring myself to buy one. Just so boring. Yes less $$$ to own but I like to enjoy my cars. To me an appliance that moves me from point A to B is not appealing. We have a GL and my old E320.

This is why I enjoy this forum so much, although I admit, I have been only a reader for several years. Save me big money just reading.
I agree with you but now I can buy something else and not worry about style. I bought an Airplane that I fly when I travel long distance. Really shortens the road and cuts the truck traffic.
Attached Thumbnails Mercedes-Benz E-Class reliability - how does it truly compare?-taxi-out-take-off-key-west.jpg  
Old 03-14-2012, 10:26 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 S550 4matic

biggggggg time. A few months ago I was shopping my car around to possibly trade it for something I wouldn't need an extended warranty on ($150 a month at the time). I drove damn near every full size sport/luxury sedan out there from Maximas etc. and nothing 'felt' the same. The interiors all seemed cheapy, they weren't as comfortable, lacking head/leg room, etc. The only other car I think I'd rather have than mine is an 07+ Lexus GS350 awd. Even then, not as much power/torque and the ride isn't quite as good, but great cars nonetheless.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We have updated our reliability stats for the E-Class to include owner experiences through September 30, 2012.

2009: 24, better than average, very small sample size

2008: 80, worse than average, could be blip at end of factory warranty

2007: 42, better than average

2006: 63, about average

2005: 34, better than average, very small sample size

2004: 49, better than average, very small sample size

2003: 92, worse than average, very small sample size

We'll have further updates in February and May. We'd love to provide more precise stats and fully cover more model years--just a matter of getting more owners involved.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz E-Class reliability - how does it truly compare?