E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E-Class #1 in Class JD Power IQS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Its been a hundred years. Its about time for a new champ. Nothing is forever. They'll get their quality ratings back up there across the board, but the darling of the crowd will be the one that is dependable, comes with the latest & greatest, and is priced right. The car game has changed. People used to keep a Benz for 8 to 18 years with few problems. Spending money on a car that will last that long when youre only going to keep it 39 Months is insane. People BOUGHT those cars for big bucks to keep them for a long time. Today, people "rent" their cars for 3 years. Thats why anyone can drive a top tier Luxury car.

Content, Dependability and Price will rule. Mercedes can't compete on all 3 criteria in that arena. Old World, Old Brand, Old Mentality.

Recalling more cars than you built in a single year? ...Did Mercedes recall all of the crappy Es they saddled us with between 03 & '06, no they didn't even admit there was a problem. I'd rather have a car recalled and fixed than ignored... and Toyota is absolutely mortified by the small number of Tundra engines failing. (They were very early production vehicles, not 4 years worth of vehicle production.) They aren't repairing the engiones, they're sending complete new engines on pallets to the dealers on affected vehicles. Those vehicle owners will be SURE that those truck are Fixed. MB wasn't even mildly embarrased, let alone mortified by the total lack of quality in their cars, until it became apparent that they would be out of business in the USA in a few more years.

I love my '07, Its a great car, but here in America, Lexus and Infinity as well as Acura are going to eat away at MB, because they too are being forced to move more upscale by their newly empowered Korean competition.

The rules have changed.
You hit it right on the dot. Customers are not just fed up with the reliability issue but how they were treated by MB. Not only did MB ignore and deny problems but when customers shell out big for a luxury car they don't want rebuilt failed transmissions, they want new ones which MB won't provide. Toyota being not a luxury brand does not only address the issue with the failed engines they provide new ones not rebuilt ones.
Put it simply MB customer service stinks and this is where Lexus is winning customers over. For example we all complain about the dusty brake pads in our MB's and MB has told us that is the way it is. Well when I took my Lexus in and complained about the dusty brake pads they changed it out for low dust brake pads under warranty no charge and not only that they gave me a courtesy vehicle on the spot without me having to book 2 weeks ahead like I have to with my MB.

Must say though that atleast they are making an effort which I couldn't say for MB's manufactured from 2000 - 2006. Hope they also fixed the primer problem on the cars also.

Last edited by rieger; 06-08-2007 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
It's quite interesting. I have an opposite experience. I didn't have problems with MB brakes, however Lexus brakes behave wired, the car started vibrate badly if you brake on high speeds. A Lexus dealer replaced rotors and pads, however make me wait for finishing the work (no loaner though). The problem reappeared after some time, so the replacement wasn't good anyway. I think Lexus is quite poser here, trying to tell oh I was wrong let me make you happy, but actually can't do that.

Conclusion, I won't buy any Lexus again even if for any minor problem Lexus is ready to replace entire engine, however I still consider MB as a reliable and slow aging car. Believe you or not, but my car inside still looks like new, when Lexus became looking as 10 years old car just after first year.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
I was hesitating whether to contribute to this thread. Anyway, yes previous MB management did drop the ball and has been held responsible (BTW MB and MBUSA alike). Understand it cannot be done overnight! After Dieter took the helm there was delinquent management to deal with, labor and union negotiations, Chrysler, reinventing culture to an engineering standpoint. He and his staff are doing their best and deserve credit for their accomplishments. ALL relevant numbers for the most part are proving this across the board (i.e.: customer satisfaction, highest sales ever, etc.). The majority of R&D resources went into the W221 – and it shows! The W211 has had a significant turn around in quality and performance without getting into any given individual’s electronic gadgetry preference or comparison. Rest assured the W212 will be as glitch-free as the W221 upon release. Without sparking a whole thing about first year runs, it is my prediction that W212 owners will experience problems but none that are so serious as to affect safety or that cannot be corrected rather quickly not unlike the W221. I am sure there will be some ranting about “I will believe it when I see it!” Or upon the W212 release, everyone’s notions and expectations not being satisfied as to every little detail. Such is life people are quicker to complain than compliment. As I told a number of members after realizing such dissatisfaction with their current build and writing MB off for good, I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the 07. And they were without exception! All W211 vehicles that follow will also warrant satisfaction. And the 2010 W212 will be exceptional, mark my words. Lest not forget W221 technology (so well proven to date) will be incorporated. How do I know? My Magic Eight Ball, but of course.

Now then, go ahead and pick apart what you need to. That is what forums are all about – opinions and the occasional fact contributed.

Last edited by konigstiger; 06-08-2007 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Which year model 212 should be? What magic ball tells? I'm thinking about new car in 2 years, so it should be 2010 I guess.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Such is life people are quicker to complain than compliment. As I told a number of members after realizing such dissatisfaction with their current build and writing MB off for good, I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the 07. And they were without exception!
How very true !
What is becoming clear to me is that Mercedes-Benz is on an ascending path for quality control, while the much vaunted Lexus/Toyota group is experiencing unprecedented quality issues in their pursuit of becoming the largest auto manufacturer on the planet.

From my many past years in the auto business as a franchise dealer for various makes, I would say that no brand is immune to having customers with frustrating experiences. A bad dealer experience can sour even the best product. You need look no further than some of the earlier posts on this thread to confirm this.

However, it is becoming more evident that Mercedes-Benz is truly making a comeback in quality and customer satisfaction. JD Power & Associates confirm this with their latest IQ survey, together with increasing sales for MB in Europe and North America.

Forum members here might be interested to know that for the month of May, MB Canada enjoyed a 14.4% increase over 2006 for car sales.
The E Class sales increased a spectacular 114% over May 2006 !!
And finally, "close to 40% of (MB Canada's) May sales were diesel propelled" !!!!
Old 06-09-2007, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by rieger
You hit it right on the dot. Customers are not just fed up with the reliability issue but how they were treated by MB. Not only did MB ignore and deny problems but when customers shell out big for a luxury car they don't want rebuilt failed transmissions, they want new ones which MB won't provide. Toyota being not a luxury brand does not only address the issue with the failed engines they provide new ones not rebuilt ones.
Put it simply MB customer service stinks and this is where Lexus is winning customers over. For example we all complain about the dusty brake pads in our MB's and MB has told us that is the way it is. Well when I took my Lexus in and complained about the dusty brake pads they changed it out for low dust brake pads under warranty no charge and not only that they gave me a courtesy vehicle on the spot without me having to book 2 weeks ahead like I have to with my MB.

Must say though that atleast they are making an effort which I couldn't say for MB's manufactured from 2000 - 2006. Hope they also fixed the primer problem on the cars also.
Still beating the same drum I see. Why do you automatically think that everyone has had the same experience as you? Your dealer's customer service stinks is a more accurate way of putting it, now the whole of Mercedes. Let you tell it Lexus is perfect and Mercedes can't do anything right. Yawn. Your constant harping about this is getting as tired as all getout.

M
Old 06-09-2007, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250 BT 4M
Former MB owner's rant !

Originally Posted by Germancar1
Still beating the same drum I see. Why do you automatically think that everyone has had the same experience as you? Your dealer's customer service stinks is a more accurate way of putting it, not the whole of Mercedes. Let you tell it Lexus is perfect and Mercedes can't do anything right. Yawn. Your constant harping about this is getting as tired as all getout.
M
Yes, well said !!!! Thank you !

Perhaps, the gentleman that you are refering to should spend more time on the Lexus forum, where he will soon find that "the pursuit of perfection" is somewhat tarnished of late.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Dema
Which year model 212 should be? What magic ball tells? I'm thinking about new car in 2 years, so it should be 2010 I guess.
2010 E-Class target release date: Fall 2009
Old 06-09-2007, 05:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
09' E350, 01' Maxima SE, 93 Nissan Maxima SE, 1987 Nissan Maxima SE
Post like this make me smile and warm and fuzzy inside, knowing that we have great cars that have pedigree.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Germancar1
Still beating the same drum I see. Why do you automatically think that everyone has had the same experience as you? Your dealer's customer service stinks is a more accurate way of putting it, now the whole of Mercedes. Let you tell it Lexus is perfect and Mercedes can't do anything right. Yawn. Your constant harping about this is getting as tired as all getout.

M
LOL you telling me that my car is one of the few with problems and that Lexus has more problems just tells me how much you know. Read the w211 forum before you open your mouth. Maybe the 07 may not have as many problems but for you to say that I am the few with problems is a total joke. If you don't know what you are talking about than you get out idiot. I have both cars so do you? NO SO IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT THAN SHUT UP. I have both and I am well aware what is wrong with the E-class and the GS and you sir are just a MB yahooooo.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
LOL you telling me that my car is one of the few with problems and that Lexus has more problems just tells me how much you know. Read the w211 forum before you open your mouth. Maybe the 07 may not have as many problems but for you to say that I am the few with problems is a total joke. If you don't know what you are talking about than you get out idiot. I have both cars so do you? NO SO IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT THAN SHUT UP. I have both and I am well aware what is wrong with the E-class and the GS and you sir are just a MB yahooooo.
How often do you visit Lexus forums? Just curious.

You're calling him and idiot and basically ignorant. Haha!! Let the records show you were the ignorant one that failed to do proper research when we had the debate in the W221 forum.
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w221/189719-what-do-u-guys-think-new-2008-lexus-ls600.html
Old 06-10-2007, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by DerekACS
Yes, well said !!!! Thank you !

Perhaps, the gentleman that you are refering to should spend more time on the Lexus forum, where he will soon find that "the pursuit of perfection" is somewhat tarnished of late.
Well aware that Lexus is having Tranny problems with the ES350 which I considered getting but found out from the salesman that this is true. Also I have found that the GS has had dash rattling problems in the 06 and some early 07 but that has been rectified. If you look further into the GS reports by JDPower and Consumer Reports the problems with this model is for dash rattles and no other mechanical or electrical problems. You can also go to JDPower and do a vehicle comparison and see that the GS is still rated higher overall than the E-Class. Other than that there are no other issues with the GS. Yes the odd owner may have a lemon but that is different than the major problems that early E-Class owners had with the engine mounts, tranny, and SBC brakes.
I am not saying that I enjoy the GS more or vice versa since I do like both cars about the same when it comes to style and the way it drives. It's just that MB customer service and reliability has tarnished my enjoyment of the vehicle.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Well aware that Lexus is having Tranny problems with the ES350 which I considered getting but found out from the salesman that this is true. Also I have found that the GS has had dash rattling problems in the 06 and some early 07 but that has been rectified. If you look further into the GS reports by JDPower and Consumer Reports the problems with this model is for dash rattles and no other mechanical or electrical problems. You can also go to JDPower and do a vehicle comparison and see that the GS is still rated higher overall than the E-Class. Other than that there are no other issues with the GS. Yes the odd owner may have a lemon but that is different than the major problems that early E-Class owners had with the engine mounts, tranny, and SBC brakes.
I am not saying that I enjoy the GS more or vice versa since I do like both cars about the same when it comes to style and the way it drives. It's just that MB customer service and reliability has tarnished my enjoyment of the vehicle.
Please see post #31.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by AsianML
How often do you visit Lexus forums? Just curious.

You're calling him and idiot and basically ignorant. Haha!! Let the records show you were the ignorant one that failed to do proper research when we had the debate in the W221 forum.
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=189719
Ah AsianML another MB yahoo. Oh here is a quote by you and obviously you do your research and really know what you are talking about LOL

"Powers is a complete joke. It's not as accurate as you think. Those who have unreliable cars and are disgruntled are more likely to complete the survey just to have the feeling that they're opinion is being heard.

Those with completely reliable cars simply toss it aside and take the time that would have been spent filling out the survey and drive the car. That's my view on it."
So obviously you have know clue what you are talking about and both of you have no clue on how JDPowers work. All you two want to do is say that MB is so great and then when someone provides some facts you say the facts are useless but when they favor MB you say "See you were totally wrong"
So then how do you explain the latest results. I can't understand why you and germancarfan1 are so ignorant that 2000-2006 MB were mostly unreliable.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Ah AsianML another MB yahoo. Oh here is a quote by you and obviously you do your research and really know what you are talking about LOL

"Powers is a complete joke. It's not as accurate as you think. Those who have unreliable cars and are disgruntled are more likely to complete the survey just to have the feeling that they're opinion is being heard.

Those with completely reliable cars simply toss it aside and take the time that would have been spent filling out the survey and drive the car. That's my view on it."
So obviously you have know clue what you are talking about and both of you have no clue on how JDPowers work. All you two want to do is say that MB is so great and then when someone provides some facts you say the facts are useless but when they favor MB you say "See you were totally wrong"
So then how do you explain the latest results. I can't understand why you and germancarfan1 are so ignorant that 2000-2006 MB were mostly unreliable.
You're putting words in my mouth, pal. I said I liked the results, but I still don't think JD Power and CR are that credible, even if the results come out to our favor.
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w221/196890-jd-power-iqs-mercedes-5th-overall.html

I never said "See you were totally wrong". You even put it in quotes as if I actually did say it!
Old 06-10-2007, 08:37 PM

You're putting words in my mouth, pal. I said I liked the results, but I still don't think JD Power and CR are that credible, even if the results come out to our favor.
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=196890

I never said "See you were totally wrong". You even put it in quotes as if I actually did say it!
Still haven't explained your quote and how wrong you are since obviously your quote is not true that only bad customers complete the survey. So are you going to say that the 07 E-class is reliable from the results or unreliable?
Old 06-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Still haven't explained your quote and how wrong you are since obviously your quote is not true that only bad customers complete the survey. So are you going to say that the 07 E-class is reliable from the results or unreliable?
The IQS measures the first 90 days of ownership. I can't comment on reliability because it's too new, but with the current track record with the W221, I'd say it might do pretty well in the long run.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250 BT 4M
Ah another MB yahoo.
PLEASE , your continung rants about MB and your rude comments about forum members are unnecessary.
If you are as disgruntled and angry about MB as you seem, why not vent your spleen over at the Lexus forum ?
At least those folks will likely pay attention to you, but many of us here have read more than enough of your diatribes !
Old 06-10-2007, 09:26 PM

Get tired of stirring the pot in the S-class forums?
Old 06-10-2007, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by traumatic
Get tired of stirring the pot in the S-class forums?
Yup just wanted to see if people in the E-class forums live in the real world.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:42 PM

The IQS measures the first 90 days of ownership. I can't comment on reliability because it's too new, but with the current track record with the W221, I'd say it might do pretty well in the long run.
I told you in the S-Class thread that happy owners are as likely to complete JDPower survey as much as disgruntled owners and this surveys just goes to prove me totally correct and you incorrect. I don't care if you want to take JD Powers info as accurate or not but I can tell you that if you think that JD Power is crap than you are totally ignorant. JD Power is funded by manufacturers (including MB) to do the surveys and work with them to substantiate that the info is correct. If you think JD Power is crap then when they say that Lexus has had problems lately then do you think that is crap?

Last edited by rieger; 06-10-2007 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:59 PM

this is moot point.....

mercedes is four years behind in manufacturering processes than rivals..

Its designs are more and mroe becoming less exciting and too japanese..

they ARE BEHIND folks...trying to fix a problem that shouldn't have been one TO BEGIN With

but I am a big support of the new BOSS DR. Z ROCKS
Old 06-11-2007, 12:00 AM

in the long term view of things...BMW will win because they didnt ahve to deal with schremps bogling of everything
Old 06-11-2007, 01:14 AM

"A Mercedes-Benz product"
Originally Posted by sklasse
in the long term view of things...BMW will win because they didnt ahve to deal with schremps bogling of everything
Old 06-11-2007, 06:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
See Rieger you also have a reading comprehension problem. I didn't say anything about Lexus having more problems than Mercedes. Learn to read before responding. I said that you need to stop assuming that everyone has had this oh so bad experience with Mercedes-Benz products. Naturally all you do is respond by name calling and telling people to shut up, which is typical for you. On other boards I knew what I was talking about per you, now I'm a Benz yahoo, even when I said you made valid points on other boards, oh well I guess there is a support group for people like me. People have been called a "Benz yahoo" by the most uninformed, I-owed-one, know-nothing person on the board who constantly wastes their time on a MB board talking about Lexuses. Yep that makes sense.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 06-11-2007 at 06:23 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E-Class #1 in Class JD Power IQS