Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 03:48 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver 2004 E500 4Matic
Aftermarket Satellite Radio

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone here has an aftermarket Sirrius or XM radio installed. I was looking at this new model:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1188558964702

How much is it usually to have these installed?
Old 10-16-2007, 04:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had the Roady XM in our 2004 E 320

Bought it and had it installed at Best Buy. The installer took his time and hid all of the wires. It was mounted on the far left side of the dash.

Biggest plus was XM over Sirius. IMHO this is a no brainer, period.

Biggest minus, had to find an FM frequency that was unused (the installer recommended 88.1), controls are so small that you could not change stations without taking your eyes off the road.

Personally, I'd "spring" for a full sized receiver that mounts in the same spot as the current Sirius receiver is now as long as I could control it from the dash (I don't care if it appears in the Command screen).

Another "problem" was that the installer attached the receiver to a connection that was always "on". Not a big deal, but you always had to remember to turn it off.

Once my Sirius "free" trial period ends, I'm going back to XM.

Good luck
Old 10-16-2007, 04:31 PM

2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
I investigated getting the MB Sirius installed. But once I realised that it would be about $1000 , I canned that idea. I blew my disposable income to get my MB in the first place.

I have an early generation Radio Shack unit in my old car. It's crackly very frequently, whenever trees, bridges, bad weather, etc is around. So, had I dropped a grand, and then still had crackly reception I would have cried like a girl all the way to work. But I also don't want to "spoil" the look of the cabin, with an on-dash unit. The MB one would have been neater as it uses COMAND. But the cost...

So, at the weekend I found a software program that can record anything you can listen / watch on the internet, even XM and Sirius shows. As I have a sirius account, I can listen through a browser. With this software (http://applian.com/index.php) you configure your accounts with user ID and pwd. Then you set up a recording schedule or the shows you want. So my idea is I will record Howard, Bubba and some of the Chill channel while I am work, sync it up each night, then listen on my commute the next day.

Still thinking about this though. Best thing is the recordings would be interference free. These days I listen to music on my Zen, and everytime I drive over the Throgs Neck Bridge I just anticipate losing the sound as I go through the tolls. Just force of habit from 3 yrs of commuting with Sirius!!

If you go for a in-car unit, could you post pics please? If I can see a pleasing solution / placement maybe I'll reconsider a second subscription.
Thanks and good luck
Jim

Last edited by jallison12; 10-16-2007 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2020 S560,14 ml350, 03 sl55, silver, pano, slr cams, evo headers, lsd, 2019 s63 cab.
get a sirius stilletto. you can use it like a ipod, record and save programs and songs. plug into car when you want. very versital.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:26 AM
Almost a Member!

Silver 2004 E500 4Matic
The only reason I'm thinking XM of sirrius is because Opie and Anthony are on XM. What are the installation costs at Best Buy?
Old 10-18-2007, 04:18 PM

'04 Mercedes Benz E500, '97 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '05 Volvo S60
XM and Sirius will be merging soon anyway, so it's not a life and death decision.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,444 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by yobroe
XM and Sirius will be merging soon anyway, so it's not a life and death decision.
FCC Commissioner Michael Copps expressed his doubts about the proposed merger and is not convinced it should be allowed to proceed. Time will tell.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:40 PM

05 E320 CDI, 03 HD F250, 04 B/B SEEG, 98 ANN RK
Question

I have been toying with this as well. I too put most of my disposable into my 05 320 CDI and as it is a lease turn in, I have what it came with. No GPS or XM. ($2600 to retro fit?)
So I am looking at the Zumo http://www8.garmin.com/zumo/minisite.html with the idea that I can move it to my bike when on trips. I know I can just go to Best Buy and they'll install it, but I don't have any faith in the install fit & finish.
Has anyone come up with a perfect solution? Got Pics?
Old 10-30-2007, 10:29 AM
Almost a Member!

Silver 2004 E500 4Matic
Radio installed

Finally went to best buy and had it installed. They were able to run a power line right from the car to power the radio, and they did it so the radio turns off when the car is off. They had to run a line into the AUX input in the glove box. I was told that with the navigation system there isnt enough room to use the FM modulator, which was actually cheaper. Im happy with it. The unit is mounted right above the glove box. The only thing im worried about is if its in the way of the passanger side airbag. Only 1 way to find that out...
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Satellite Radio-xmcar.jpg  
Old 10-30-2007, 11:56 AM

2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
Just to followup, I did get the Appian software after all, and I am pretty happy with it. The Stern show is scheduled to record every morning, with the show being split into several 60min MP3 files. Then I have the software email me each file. When I get to work I download the files, create a little playlist for that days show, and sync to my Zen. The shows are interference free and I can pause and play when ever I like. So, I listen a little bit during the day at my desk, some more on the way home (the Zen plugs into the Aux port, then just sits next to the gear lever), then finish the show on the way to work the next day. Ready to repeat the procedure all over again.

An actual radio would give me the flexibility of changing channel, but the loss of signal multiple times during my commute was annoying.

I did consider the Stiletto. But I read that in the car, you would still need an external antenna to get good reception for live listening. The Stiletto's antenna is not built in, but instead it's in it's headphones (which get crap reviews as actual headphones). If I didn't already have a subscription I think I would have got the Stiletto and tried to record the shows that way, then listen later.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:34 AM

'04 Mercedes Benz E500, '97 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '05 Volvo S60
George, do you still have that setup the way it is? And is it working well for you? I have wanted to install XM in the car, as opposed to just in the old 4runner, but that auxillary unit bulging out of the beautiful dash has stopped me from moving forward...does it look better in real life?