MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W211) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211-20/)
-   -   Free access to MBUSA parts catalog (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/219751-free-access-mbusa-parts-catalog.html)

konigstiger 11-23-2007 10:52 PM

Free access to MBUSA parts catalog

Free MBUSA North American data set, includes data applicable to US-version passenger cars and light trucks, one-year online subscription is now available with a valid credit card to verify identity/address:

http://epc.startekinfo.com/epc/coverage.jsp

noyu 11-24-2007 12:04 AM

WoW great info!

Do you think it will work if I live in Canada?

Diesel Benz 11-24-2007 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by noyu (Post 2518285)
WoW great info!

Do you think it will work if I live in Canada?

Why not try the free version? But I'm afraid it does not work, at the purchase page the only country option to select was USA.

Have you looked at MB Canada web, at least you should have the paid option, we pay 15 € plus VAT in Europe for the service.

baxterdown 11-24-2007 07:24 AM

I was reading the FAQ's. Came across this one. I thought it was important to post....

Q6 : I have Windows Vista, or Internet Explorer 7, or Java 6 installed. Why doesn’t EPCnet work (or work properly)?
A6 : None of these versions are supported at this time. Please revert to an earlier version for proper operation.

Diesel Benz 11-24-2007 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by baxterdown (Post 2518477)
I was reading the FAQ's. Came across this one. I thought it was important to post....

Q6 : I have Windows Vista, or Internet Explorer 7, or Java 6 installed. Why doesn’t EPCnet work (or work properly)?
A6 : None of these versions are supported at this time. Please revert to an earlier version for proper operation.

I haven't tried Windows Vista, could do it as I have it one one computer (also Explorer 7 there but not on the computer I mostly use) but I don't see why a Java based application would not work. Perhaps it would need Sun Java, can it be installed on Vista?

I have Java 6 installed on the computer where I use EPC but I've disabled this Java version from the Java control panel. If you don't have any other Java version, go and install an older one.

Diesel Benz 11-25-2007 01:33 PM

I just tried on the Windows Vista computer. Installed Sun Java (from www.java.com), nothing else, and EPC worked just as on my Windows XP (where I don't use Java 6).

PS. I'm surprised seeing so few, or no posts of US members subscribing. Or did all subscribe already when it was not free? I find EPC so useful for an MB enthusiast that wants to learn the cars, even if not in need for any particular spare part.

lasvegas99 11-25-2007 04:28 PM

Great Site - Visa works fine for me

Just subscribed. Using Vista now on my laptop and works great. konigstiger, thank you for always adding so much value to this site.

murman 11-26-2007 05:58 PM

Since us poor Canadians do not seem to have access to this (and I'd be mighty surprised to see MB Canada offer up a similar system to the public), might a kind American be willing to share their (free) access password to a needy Canuck?

JCsE350 11-26-2007 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by murman (Post 2522144)
Since us poor Canadians do not seem to have access to this (and I'd be mighty surprised to see MB Canada offer up a similar system to the public), might a kind American be willing to share their (free) access password to a needy Canuck?

Yeah for a decent fee!! :D

J/K not registered yet.

noyu 11-27-2007 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by murman (Post 2522144)

X2:y

I guess as long as we don't have access to their private info (just log on to see the parts catalogue) I don't think it will hurt!

Any thoughts or volunteer?:p:

richard HK 11-27-2007 05:06 AM

Yes that will be great!!!!!!!!! I do not mind paying, but it is just that it seems impossible now.

murman 12-11-2007 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by JCsE350 (Post 2522244)
Yeah for a decent fee!! :D

J/K not registered yet.

Any of our US cousins willing to help a few destitute CDNs out?

Diesel Benz 12-12-2007 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by murman (Post 2546325)
Any of our US cousins willing to help a few destitute CDNs out?

Don't you have a similar service from MB Canada? In Europe we get the EPC, not for free but with a very reasonable cost. Not worth loaning an American account. Not sure if they would even block non-US IP-addresses (I assume not, a US citizen should have access abroad too). I would not loan my access to another person because this would block my access when the other one is in.

It would be fraud and they might follow a frequent change in the IP address between Canada and the US too.

I did not find anything from the MB Canada web but one could always ask them:
http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/index.cf...nglish&id=4604

dpalm 01-14-2008 05:49 PM

What, no MAC OS/X support?

Didn't I just read that that OS/X was better than VISTA? or maybe that was a TV commercial.

Seriously, any MAC users tried this out?

gvaughn 01-21-2008 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by konigstiger (Post 2518219)
Free MBUSA North American data set, includes data applicable to US-version passenger cars and light trucks, one-year online subscription is now available with a valid credit card to verify identity/address:

Thanks Dan. BTW...if there is something wrong on my datacard who could I contact to correct? It shows my delivery date as 09/2006, but I picked my car up from the lot 05/2006. Very strange...

konigstiger 01-21-2008 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by gvaughn (Post 2609699)
Thanks Dan. BTW...if there is something wrong on my datacard who could I contact to correct? It shows my delivery date as 09/2006, but I picked my car up from the lot 05/2006. Very strange...

09/03/2006 datacard format day/month/year therefore 3/9/06.

gvaughn 01-21-2008 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by konigstiger (Post 2609710)
09/03/2006 datacard format day/month/year therefore 3/9/06.

ahh....that makes sense!!! I feel much better now. Thanks a lot!!!

Nuke35 01-21-2008 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by dpalm (Post 2598057)
Didn't I just read that that OS/X was better than VISTA? or maybe that was a TV commercial.

Seriously, any MAC users tried this out?

Tried it with both Safari and Firefox on 10.5 (Leopard)....no dice. It did run under Firefox on an XP Pro box.

Diesel Benz 03-11-2008 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Nuke35 (Post 2610307)
Tried it with both Safari and Firefox on 10.5 (Leopard)....no dice. It did run under Firefox on an XP Pro box.

And your Java version was?

Ballinger 03-12-2008 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by konigstiger (Post 2518219)

This looks cool. Now for the dumb question: how did you generate the build-list that you posted? I joined up at the EPC, but ... :nix:

Air Marshall Eldritch 05-29-2008 08:13 AM

Just a note about access from Canada and such...

I was able to log into my account from anywhere in the world. If you canucks register as a US subscriber, it should let you in.

Diesel Benz 05-29-2008 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by RBrenton (Post 2852137)

I was able to log into my account from anywhere in the world. If you canucks register as a US subscriber, it should let you in.

But didn't they ask for credit card details (even if it was free), to check that one is a US citizen?

Air Marshall Eldritch 05-29-2008 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz (Post 2852202)
But didn't they ask for credit card details (even if it was free), to check that one is a US citizen?

Yes, when I first signed up. But that seemed more of a check for a valid card number rather than citizenship. If the number matches the algorithm, it validates.

calgary 05-29-2008 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by RBrenton (Post 2852137)

We Canucks cannot register as a US subscriber - as soon as we give our VISA card number, it shows a Canadian Address for the card holder - and we are rejected. Believe me - I have tried -

erifly 09-02-2008 01:24 PM

Ok I signed up for this and am trying to find part numbers for the 07 front bumper, etc.(doing a facelift upgrade on my 03) and was viewing pics of an 07 w211 front bumper model and a 03 w211 front bumper model and the picture of the bumper looks the exact same...:confused:..like even the fog light cutout on the bumper is curved at inward angle like 03 and not sharp edged outwarded angled like the 07.

I even got the vin number for an 07 model..and vin number for 03 model and put it in..but the pics are the exact same..anybody know anything about this?..because I don't want to order wrong part.