MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W211) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211-20/)
-   -   SBC noise MY03-06 (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/230816-sbc-noise-my03-06-a.html)

konigstiger 02-14-2008 04:23 PM

SBC noise MY03-06

Humming/buzzing noise during pressure buildup from SBC system

E-Class (211) MY03-06, and CLS (219) MY06

Under warranty:
Mention DTB P-B-42.46/27e the single suction damper is being replaced by a suction hose with integral double suction dampers (part # A2114208826). In the process, they will bleed the SBC system with Star Diagnosis.

Out of warranty:
Make sure all service campaigns and recalls have been applied to your vehicle, have the SA check your VIN in VMI. Normally only service campaigns and recalls do not expire - honored always. DTBs are only honored under warranty and/or extended warranty. However, in this case a part was modified for better brake performance (i.e.: eliminate noise) therefore, it may be worth your while to request a no cost goodwill repair from dealer and MBUSA.

If you want a copy f the DTB to present to your SA private mail your email address.

starbrite 02-14-2008 11:20 PM

Dan, the SBC always makes some kind of noise when first building pressure.

How is this humming/buzzing noise different ?

Davel 02-15-2008 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by starbrite (Post 2655336)
Dan, the SBC always makes some kind of noise when first building pressure.

How is this humming/buzzing noise different ?

Yep, i concur

konigstiger 02-15-2008 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by starbrite (Post 2655336)
Dan, the SBC always makes some kind of noise when first building pressure. How is this humming/buzzing noise different ?

Originally Posted by Davel (Post 2655687)
Yep, i concur

Damper will substantially reduce the noise/vibration that all are accustomed to and accept as normal. Elimination is not complete, but rather reduced to an acceptable level. In my opinion, it is a worth while upgrade to the SBC system.

gnma 03-06-2008 01:01 PM

Thank you Konigstiger for this. I had Serv. B done, and also gave them the DTB u provided. Covered under warranty. As you said, it does not eliminate, but does reduce the sound. It is still noticeable, but not as much. Thank you.

Tariq 03-06-2008 05:03 PM

Well my E500 model 2003 i have SBC noise comes from the woofer speaker and its shame and cannot be removed wish someone can give me on how to solve this problem.

starbrite 03-16-2008 11:10 PM

BTW, was this "upgrade" ever put into production vehicles or were they all single dampers and then addressed as needed ?

konigstiger 03-17-2008 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by starbrite (Post 2712297)
BTW, was this "upgrade" ever put into production vehicles or were they all single dampers and then addressed as needed ?

For those with access to the EPC https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....19&postcount=1

EPC -> VIN -> 42 brakes -> 090 brake lines -> suction hose

If part #A2114208826 is the only one listed, you already have the hose with double dampers. If not, and more than one hose is listed more than likely you will need to upgrade.

starbrite 03-24-2008 05:08 PM

I had this upgrade done today and it really does quite things down. Thanks again Dan for a great tip!

Hose part number has been updated with a -05 at the end. They also replaced a ring, gasket and cap.

Here's a pic of the new hose ( I assume you know what the old one looks like if it's on your car) :

http://mysite.verizon.net/fwk323/pics/sbc.jpg

gnma 04-22-2008 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by gnma (Post 2693834)
Thank you Konigstiger for this. I had Serv. B done, and also gave them the DTB u provided. Covered under warranty. As you said, it does not eliminate, but does reduce the sound. It is still noticeable, but not as much. Thank you.

As a followup, I'd like to say that the noise has diminished even further from "not as much noticeable" from my quote above. I am very pleased with the improvement. Thank you again Konigstiger!:y

Roehl 04-23-2008 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by starbrite (Post 2726402)
I had this upgrade done today and it really does quite things down. Thanks again Dan for a great tip!

Hose part number has been updated with a -05 at the end. They also replaced a ring, gasket and cap.

Here's a pic of the new hose ( I assume you know what the old one looks like if it's on your car) :

http://mysite.verizon.net/fwk323/pics/sbc.jpg

How much did it cost you?

starbrite 04-23-2008 04:14 PM

Done under warranty @ N/C

GT-ER 04-15-2011 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Roehl (Post 2783780)
How much did it cost you?

Hmmm...my hose doesn't look like that. My car is out of warranty as well. I wonder how much that hose costs.

And yes, back from the dead....lol.

gaazmon 08-18-2011 03:44 PM

Hmmm, this is how my hose looks. sorry for the crappy pic. had to use my phone

I remember having the damper changed, but it's gotten louder over time. Oh and one time after they changed the damper they changed my SBC pump so hopefully they didn't put an old hose back in.

EDIT: Deleted the old one. Will post new one shortly

starbrite 08-18-2011 04:21 PM

Yea, you need to take a better pic. Doesn't quite look right ( see post #9 above)

gaazmon 08-18-2011 06:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a better pic. Lol Iphone 4 vs Blackberry Curve 9300 (the camera is sh*t on my phone. 2mp, no autofocus, and no flash :( i miss my Bold 9700).

Ok back on topic :) hmm i think it is the update one but it has become noiser as of late versus when they changed the damper back at about hmmm 30XXX miles

starbrite 08-18-2011 07:09 PM

Well, that's definately the new hose w/damper.

gaazmon 08-18-2011 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by starbrite (Post 4798725)
Well, that's definately the new hose w/damper.

k i thought so as well but just wanted to check. thank you :)

Freshly 03-26-2012 03:29 AM

Mine also plays through the Rear Subwoofer, will this solve that problem?

gaazmon 03-26-2012 05:19 PM

update: so i still thought the sbc noise was still a little too loud even with the new damper. about a month ago, "brakes visit workshop" message would come up on the cluster (not in red). my indy shop checked it out and said the pump was good but the sensor was bad. once the sensor was changed, braking quality/feel is much better (feels more like a regular ABS system such as our 02 CL500) and there is less noise imo.

Efivehundred 03-26-2012 06:31 PM

Do you know what sensor was replaced?

gaazmon 03-26-2012 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Efivehundred (Post 5119936)
Do you know what sensor was replaced?

i'll have to check with my indy shop. i should be taking our 02 cl500 in tomorrow if i get a chance (abc pump failing :eek: :() so if i go i will ask him

murman 03-27-2012 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by gaazmon (Post 5119830)
update: so i still thought the sbc noise was still a little too loud even with the new damper. about a month ago, "brakes visit workshop" message would come up on the cluster (not in red). my indy shop checked it out and said the pump was good but the sensor was bad. once the sensor was changed, braking quality/feel is much better (feels more like a regular ABS system such as our 02 CL500) and there is less noise imo.

I trust you don't mean the brake pedal feedback you get when ABS is activated, because one of the SBC features is that it doesn't have the rough ABS pedal feedback.

gaazmon 03-27-2012 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by murman (Post 5121091)
I trust you don't mean the brake pedal feedback you get when ABS is activated, because one of the SBC features is that it doesn't have the rough ABS pedal feedback.

ur correct not regarding the feedback of pedal feel. what i meant was before i felt as though it would take longer to stop with "normal" (not panic) braking than i thought it should versus our 02 CL500 which with very little brake depress the car would stop significantly more. now i feel as though the SBC brakes on my E are more "in tune" with my braking commands. with the same amount of effort before the car would still "glide" more versus now the same effort yields more slowing down of the vehicle.

idk lol am i just crazy? :D maybe it's all in my head :) but i definitely feel a difference