E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Air Suspension Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Air Suspension Replacement

When I researched this online, taking out and putting back in the lower shock mounting bolt is easily done by hand. Why is mine under such strain? I started to back it out with a socket wrench, but I can tell from working on red iron, that the bolt will be ruined when I get down to the last few threads because of the downward pressure on it. Everything else came apart easily, but this final bolt is a bear. Any ideas as to why it is under such pressure? I don't have access to a lift. Could it be because I have the car jacked up and on stands? I have the upper control arm loose and the air shock loose also. It's hard to see, but the bolt tip is trying to rise up, as if the strut is pressing down on it. I do have both sides of the front jacked up at once because I wanted to replace both front air struts at the same time. I'm going with a Dorman coil replacement kit. Thanks in advance...

It seems to be under quite a bit of pressure.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:03 AM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
Just put a pry bar in there to give you a little leverage. That should be enough to release the tension on the bolt.
The following users liked this post:
JimGibson (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 928 Likes on 720 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Did you reduce pressure in the strut to 3 Bar as called out in the instructions? Still a lot but it is much better than the 6-8 Bar in an inflated strut.

Also, when I replaced my front air strut a few weeks ago, I had to *seriously* press down on the hub to get that bolt out and back in plus to enable me to get the old strut off and the new strut on. Not fun but it is doable. As per F1Fan's suggestion above, try a pry bar in there.
The following users liked this post:
JimGibson (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 333 Posts
C320
Originally Posted by JimGibson
When I researched this online, taking out and putting back in the lower shock mounting bolt is easily done by hand. Why is mine under such strain? I started to back it out with a socket wrench, but I can tell from working on red iron, that the bolt will be ruined when I get down to the last few threads because of the downward pressure on it. Everything else came apart easily, but this final bolt is a bear. Any ideas as to why it is under such pressure? I don't have access to a lift. Could it be because I have the car jacked up and on stands? I have the upper control arm loose and the air shock loose also. It's hard to see, but the bolt tip is trying to rise up, as if the strut is pressing down on it. I do have both sides of the front jacked up at once because I wanted to replace both front air struts at the same time. I'm going with a Dorman coil replacement kit. Thanks in advance...

It seems to be under quite a bit of pressure.
Turn your steering wheel.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
Did you reduce pressure in the strut to 3 Bar as called out in the instructions? Still a lot but it is much better than the 6-8 Bar in an inflated strut.

Also, when I replaced my front air strut a few weeks ago, I had to *seriously* press down on the hub to get that bolt out and back in plus to enable me to get the old strut off and the new strut on. Not fun but it is doable. As per F1Fan's suggestion above, try a pry bar in there.
You both were right. It took some serious pressure... more than I felt comfortable making... but it worked. Thanks to you both. It looked so easy when the Arnott guy did it online.