MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W211) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211-20/)
-   -   "Brake - Visit Workshop" message = stop light switch = $10 part / 10 minute Easy DIY (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/242478-brake-visit-workshop-message-stop-light-switch-10-part-10-minute-easy-diy.html)

jeffsnavely 05-01-2008 10:16 PM

"Brake - Visit Workshop" message = stop light switch = $10 part / 10 minute Easy DIY

This has been mentioned many times on this forum, but not all in one concise post, so here it is:

For the price of this part ($9 with MB Club discount) and the very easy install, it's worth trying before anything else. Dealers stock this part as it frequently goes bad.

Malfunction displayed: "Brake - Visit Workshop".
Car would also not start with Keyless Go, had to insert key.

Car drove & braked fine, but message would appear after every restart.

Problem was: bad brake switch, also called stop switch or brake light switch.

PN: A001-545-40-09 for my 2004, there is one other part number for later years (A001-545-44-09) - verify the correct part with your VIN.

On the online EPC (https://epc.startekinfo.com/epc/)
look under Group 54: Electrical Equipment & Instruments
Subgroup: 640: Switch, #70 on the diagram.

To change this part, remove the black plastic panel above the driver's footwell:
remove 3 torx bolts & pull apart the white large round connector in the middle, then pull panel out, no need to unhook the various electrical connections, just pull the panel part way out.

The black switch is above the brake pedal, along the metal arm of the pedal. If you have the replacement part in hand you will easily see where it is. Unplug the wire connection and then turn the switch 90 degrees to the right to easily remove.

The new one will only go in one way, plug in the wire connector, and replace the black trim panel.

Total time was 9 minutes! Malfunction message gone!

Why pay $100+ at the dealer?

captrivers 06-04-2008 01:21 PM

I pulled all four wheels. All pads have only about 10% of wear and all sensors were still fine.

I checked for continuity on the old switch and it seems to be working fine. There's continuity when in the resting position and it breaks it when you depress the white tip.

P/N A001-545-40-09 was listed for my 03 also. I replaced it and still have the message on my dash. How do you get rid of it?

gikser 06-08-2008 06:22 PM

same issue here i replaced the switch and the pad sensors and still have the message in the dash???

cyclrder 06-17-2008 06:38 AM

my Keyless go exhibited the exact same behavior... and I needed to replace my brakes....(which I did including sensors yesterday) ....

now the everything seems to be working fine.. except the error message...

will be taking the car to the stealer tomorrow.. will update afterwards...

magnus203 08-09-2008 01:25 PM

Once you have replaced the switch or sensors and you still get the warning, the error message just has to be deleted via the OBD socket using a diagnostic computer/scanner/STAR.

Koolwipski 08-29-2008 10:23 AM

I have the same exact message about brakes. The dics and pads were replaced 9,000 miles ago. I have a 2003 E500. I will get the sensor and replace. Where do I get the code cleared? Do I have to go to the stealer for this?
Thanks
Steve

shadinator 10-19-2008 12:32 PM

I have an 03 E320 that showed me the same message on the dash recently. It just went away by itself though and I never changed anything. It seems like nothing to worry about though, right?

Yuzuk 12-03-2008 06:28 PM

Brake-wisit work shop

Hello!
I have the same problems with my 03 E320 .Time to time message on display lit up.I replace all brake pads and sensors.They was worn out almost to the metal.But message still time to time show up.My keyless also not working.
May be it really need to be reset by dealer.
Any other thought well be good to hear.Car drives and breaks excellent.
:):confused:

remedu 12-04-2008 04:32 AM

There can be another issue - SBC. Sensotronic Brake Control is a unit that controls brakes in yours Mercedes. This unit need to be checked time to time.
You can to this only with a computer. There is an option for self-testing.
Its checks some sensors and pressures.
I also have had "Service Brakes - Visit Workshop" message, and it helps.

Regards

seaside2008 12-05-2008 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by remedu (Post 3200891)
There can be another issue - SBC. Sensotronic Brake Control is a unit that controls brakes in yours Mercedes. This unit need to be checked time to time.
You can to this only with a computer. There is an option for self-testing.
Its checks some sensors and pressures.
I also have had "Service Brakes - Visit Workshop" message, and it helps.

Regards

I have ''Service Brakes-Visit Workshop'' message on my display. Do you guys know what the potential problem could be? How much is it going to cost me? Dealer told me that the starting cost to diagnose a brake system failure will run $137.00, which will go into the cost of the repair if I choose to have the repair done. I have 2004 E320. Thank you

mcleantmw 04-11-2009 11:46 AM

I just had my car into my MB Dealer for several things, including the Brakes - Visit Workshop message. The Service Rep said the SBC sometimes causes this message but it was just the Stop Light Switch which they replaced thru my CPO Warranty. They also replaced the AirMatic air pump.......since picking up the car last night, I've gotten an error message a few times now that's a vehicle outline symbol with an Up Arrow showing inside and the statement Visit Workshop. I'll call my Service Rep on Monday but I wonder if there's really anything wrong with the AirMatic pump repair or it's just an error code they need to remove from the computer caused during the repair process?

no_clue 05-25-2009 05:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For "Brake - Visit Workshop" that caused by faulty brake light switch, you actually do NOT require to reset by STAR.

When you replacing brake light switch, you DO, however, make sure the ping is pull all the way out before install it back to the socket, or the Error message will stay on.

Photo attached.
( when you bought the switch from MB, the ping is actually in its "lowest" position. Just pull it all the way up )

Hope this info might help some of you guys....

jbm37379 06-28-2009 12:15 AM

I have a similiar problem with my 2004 e500. Changed pads/rotors to sloted/drilled rotors front and rear. After reviewing threads posted here, decided to tackle brakes myself rather than get raped. Rears went on fine-no problem. I made the mistake of taking the four torx head bolts out of one side of the front caliper. After realizing I had made a mistake-I decided to go ahead and finish job. Put everything back together, changed other side without taking caliper apart, changed pads, etc. Filled brake fluid reservoir and turned key on. When I went to put car into reverse, got two warning messages that braking system wasn't working properly-needed servicing. I think I may need to bleed brakes probably due to air in line when I took caliper apart but I don't know how to go about it. Secondly, I didn't change sensors because they were not worn(only one sensor on right rear-no left rear sensor present-is this normal?) Could this be a contributing factor to my error messages? Thanks-I am really learning a lot about my car on this website-more so than anyone I have talked to-thanks again. Also-can anyone tell me where the SBC switch is located and whether or not it needs to be deactivated while working on brakes. Several people on this forum have said yes, others no. I didn't on mine simply because I didn't know where it was.

dfoote@sbcgloba 06-29-2009 10:29 PM

Same scenario here. Have '05 W211 CDI with 127000 miles. Brake warning appears. I change out rotors, and pads. After completion, still have brake warning on display. Go back and check sensors, pads, SBS wiring harness, which I'd previously disconnected to replace brakes.

Thanks to this post, I was able to fix the problem for $8.56. The part for my '05 W211 is 001-545-40-09. This was a great thread! Thanks! The replacement took about 10 minutes.

brown1959 07-02-2009 09:15 AM

Have had the same problem with my E320, 04, w211, deisel, auto. First of all I changed the brake light switch, cost £6.93 from merc dealer. This got rid of the red warning message. Then took it to merc dealer, they replaced the SBC brake unit - normally costs £1600 - £1900. However, Mercedes Benz have a warrantee standing on these units - 10 years or unlimited mileage, so it was done for free (no charge at all) All warning lights off now, problem solved.

DaveZFresh83 07-12-2009 01:03 PM

Brake Warning Light Visit Workshop

Good afternoon,

I am currently a service consultant at a Mercedes Benz dealer in Florida. If you are experiencing "Brake Visit workshop" illuminating in red its most likely either your brake pads have worn to the wear sensors or the SBC unit (Sensotronic Brake Control) has failed and is due for replacement. Just so you know MBUSA has an extended warranty on this part for most 211 models. This will even cover vehicles that are way out of warranty. Shoot me your vin and mileage at DZupkosky@courtesycars.com. I will run your vin and tell you if it is a covered component. Most dealer will have you sign for a diag charge of about $120 but if it is that component then have saved about $1000 in the long run. 99% of independant shops have no idea what they are doing when replacing/diagnosing MB models equipped with this high tech braking unit. If you try the do it yourself method of replacing your brake make sure you disable this unit by a computer SDS or by unplugging the SBC unit. I've also heard there are some systems out there that are made just to disable and enable this system. Make sure the independant knows what they are doing otherwise they will do an unneeded job and you will have the same error message and you will have to visit the dealer. Hope some of this info helps

jbm37379 07-13-2009 12:35 AM

turned out to be lack of brake fluid to the front left caliper-used a vacuum hand pump, got fluid to the caliper, everything is fine now. No warning lights, etc. Checked with dealer here, thought SBC unit might be the cause. They informed me that SBC warranty had already been done on car(before I purchased it with 38K miles on it) and I could pay 300 to have them do a diagnostic on car plus parts. If it tuned out to be SBC unit-all work would be covered. I solved problem myself for $40-I can see now why so many people on this site work on their own cars-if MB service at dealers wasn't so damn expensive, I would have never entertained working on my car at all. And parts-don't even get me started on that-I know MB cars are nice, but do you have to be a millionaire to have them serviced? I have already saved over $400 on parts and service by doing it myself-I'll only use the dealer as a last possible resort for anything-parts or service.

brown1959 07-14-2009 07:37 AM

Dear Dave123,
Thanks for your info, I did take it to merc dealer last week. They changed the brake unit under warrantee. I also changed the brake light switch, and that removed the "service brake, visit workshop" message. All resolved now. many thanks

ataie 08-15-2009 12:09 PM

just bought a car with brake service message. brake pads look good, but I've changed all 3 sensors (2 in front on in rear) as well as the brake switch under the pedal and fluid level is good. the freakin message remains to visit workshop for brakes. is this something that dealer only has to clear up or I have to drive it a few days and it will eventually know that everything is good? thanks for your assistance.

03 E320 Sport

brown1959 08-15-2009 05:42 PM

brake visit workshop

This sounds like your brake SBC unit, had the same with mine. Changed the brake light switch on the brake peddle, changed the sensors did all the normal DIY. The brake SBC unit is the unit under the bonnet on the left hand front of the engine compartment (left hand side when you are looking into the engine, but phyically on the drivers side) There is a 10 year or unmlimited mileage warrantee on this unit by Mercedes Benz. They normally cost in the region of £1600-00, but Merc will change it for free. It was a fault with these units. They were supposed to last approx 300 000 pushes on the brake peddle, but some of them only lasted 30 000, like mine. Take it to the dealer and let himcheck it out against your VIN number, but dont get them to do the work until you have had clearance that it is covered on warrantee, or you going to have a big bill to pay. Good luck, I have been down the same road as you. Any problems, get back to me

Yuzuk 08-18-2009 02:25 PM

Hello everybody.I had the same message on my dashboard .Yes i changed brake switch as was mention in few posts,but in my case it did not fix the problem.So i went to one stealer and he sad that before doing anything they have to check my car which will cost me $145. I refuse and went to internet and find that SBC unit has to be changed free of charge.So i went to another MB dealer and he replaced it free of charge no question asked.It took half a day and if i had to pay that would cost me $2500.
One thing i forgot to mention before this new SBC unit. My car was always making sort of wiring annoying noise at the time of opening or locking door by remote control.
So if your car making this kind of noise it is 100% SBC gone.
This unit is MB factory defect and need to be replaced free of charge.
Now everything is OK no more message on dash.
Good luck everyone!

Bromley Heath 10-14-2009 06:23 AM

I have had exactly the same fault with my 03 E220 with 140K Miles
.My local independant garage changed the front discs and pads due to wear and after this the SBC light came on. The local garage then fitted new sensors on all fou wheels, just to be sure ,with no effect. The local main Merc agent (Bristol UK) told me what I had already gleaned from this site but were very cagey about any bill for the work. I showed print outs from these pages and booked the car in. They later phoned to ask the VIN number and then told me that my vehicle was needed for a recall!. They had not written to me to tell me this it only became evident when the SBC fault occoured. The recall was for a chasis hanging bracket sleeve??
The car was with then for 2 days inspite of them saying only one day was necessary. It was not until I collected the car that they finaly told me there would be no charge for the replacement of the SBC unit. I was not happy with their unhelpful attitude and their reluctance to inform me about the non chargeable work that needed to be carried out.
I believe that the production of the print out from this site put then on notice that I was not going to be fobbed off with excuses and the posibility of a bill in excess of £1500.
Do not let main agent to con you out of ANY money for the SBC work to be carried out.

ataie 10-14-2009 10:28 AM

dealer replaced the SBC unit under mercedes good will warranty. I had already replaced all pad sensors, and the little switch under brake pedal, so there was nothing left but the SBC module and sure that was the issue. Mercedes covered this part up to 100k.

nyclad 11-19-2009 02:31 PM

Yes I have the same problem, just started two days ago. Thanks to this thread I was able to find the switch and replace it this morning. Unfortunately, the same message is still in the dash. Going to the dealer to see about changing the SBC unit.

nyclad 12-04-2009 11:24 AM

Well, got the car back today SA claimed that all it needed was for the code to be cleared. They also updated the SBC software. So far so good.