MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W211) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211-20/)
-   -   Upgraded COMAND software and Nav Disc today (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/243647-upgraded-comand-software-nav-disc-today.html)

Polar Bear 05-11-2008 04:32 AM

Upgraded COMAND software and Nav Disc today

I thought I would share my experiences with my COMAND software upgrade and Navigation DVD-ROM upgrade.

My car is a 2005 E320 CDI with the factory supplied COMAND software and Navigation DVD. I didn't expect much from the factory DVD since I had read much on the forums regarding the accuracy and completeness of the Mercedes-Benz navigation system - specifically in the W211 cars. Sure enough, when I bought my car from out of state, I entered my home address, and it was not listed. My home town was, so I entered that and it got me home. None of the streets where I live were contained on the map disc, which was a 2004.2 version. My COMAND had the 13/04 SW version loaded.

To be honest I was rather reluctant to try the COMAND update knowing I would lose access to some features (Engineering Menu) but I also weighed it out and since I have a US version COMAND, really the Engineering Menu does no good other than provide an opportunity to make some changes to the settings and mess things up, so I thought I would give it a try. The 13/04 SW version already provided MP3 playback capability, so the only thing I expected to gain was the ETA listed on the MAP screen while using the navigation feature. I was also hoping it might resolve some Automatic Volume Control issues I have been having with some CDs. So I acquired the W211 589 14 22 00 Mercedes-Benz Update CD, which runs around $12 from most dealers and updated the COMAND. After powering on the COMAND, press 1, 3, and 8 and hold all three buttons. Almost immediately you will be asked to insert the update disc into the CD0 slot in the COMAND unit. After inserting this disc, it will proceed with the upgrade. It provides a two nice progress bars and shows the percentage of the current task (i.e. erasing flash, etc.) and overall progress of the upgrade. After the upgrade is complete, which will take several minutes, the COMAND will restart. If upgrading from an older version, you will notice you have a new option to display the ETA in the Navigation section at the bottom where the coordinates and number of satellites being used are displayed normally. This same information could be acquired by pressing the Info softbutton while navigating in MAP view, but now you have the option to view it on the map the entire time. Also, when pressing the SERV button, you will now see a picture of not only the W211 E-Class, you will also see a CLS-Class as well on the right side of the screen.

A very pleasant surprise - this upgrade ended up fixing a problem that I was having while playing DVD MP3 discs (I was lucky enough to have DVD MP3 capability in my 2005 model) which would essentially glitch while changing tracks and would even sometimes hang. For example, with about 25 folders on there containing complete albums, the COMAND, on most but not all tracks, would start playing about 3-5 seconds into the song and then start over from the beginning when the elapsed time read around 3-5 seconds. This was not only annoying, but caused it to cut off about 3-5 seconds of the end of the song. Also, if the end of a song was reached, it would many times not proceed to the next track. I dismissed all of this as being the bitrate in which the MP3s were encoded (192k VBR LAME 3.97) or perhaps some embedded album artwork that some contained. Some even said ID3 tags could cause the COMAND to glitch, so I wasn’t sure what was causing it.

After the software upgrade, this DVD plays 100% perfect on all tracks. Seeking is MUCH faster. Also, the COMAND seems to be more forgiving when changing tracks using the up and down arrows on the COMAND. If you want to toggle through the list of tracks you can do so without interrupting the current track playing. Once you stop pressing the up and down arrows for a second, it will then seek to that track.

Another very nice but unexpected feature is that now track names now show in the instrument cluster for CD-TEXT based CDs. This is really a nice feature. This works for the CD-Changer and the CD0 slot in the COMAND. All of my CDs I play typically come from my lossless iTunes library and all have CD-TEXT, so this was a big bonus for me I wasn’t even expecting.

I tried accessing the Engineering Mode and as expected it is no longer accessible. The 5-3-7 code does continue to work, as well as the NAV+5 code. These are all I have tried (and quite frankly all I am aware of) so far.

I then inserted the updated Navi-DVD into the trunk (2006.2), and received an error message that I needed to “Insert a Navi-DVD” into the drive. The system was acting like it did not recognize the new Navi-DVD. After some research, I realized I needed to use a Navigation Service Update DVD. This is part number W211 589 15 22 00 and is also available for around $12 from the dealer. To use this DVD - turn on the ignition key and COMAND and press the MAP button. In the drive in the trunk, eject the current Navi-DVD and insert the Navigation Service DVD. You will see two progress bars on the screen on the COMAND. After a few minutes and very little movement of the progress bars, the COMAND will restart. Then insert the new Navi-DVD. The update will continue for a few minutes. Afterwards, you will see a valid map appear and you will be using the updated Navi-DVD. It was recommended to reset the MOST bus by turning off the key and waiting about three minutes before using the system to ensure it is reset. The great news is that there is a substantial amount more data on the 2006.2 version (I think there is even a more current version available now) and all of the street names in my neighborhood are listed and it is very complete. I was very happy to discover this!

I thought I would share my experiences with those who have considered tinkering/updating their COMAND and Navi-DVD discs. Upgrading the COMAND and the Navi-DVD made the COMAND MUCH more valuable!

Special thanks to konigstiger for some very helpful posts (as always) that helped me accomplish this.

camaleon 05-21-2008 11:42 PM

Polar Bear,

Thanks for the description of your upgrade. I just did the same. I bought a CPO 2004 E 500 with low miles and have updated COMAND and DVD Nav to 2006.2.

I have a question regarding DVD MP3 playback, where do you load the DVDs? In the regular CDC and CD?

Regards,

Polar Bear 05-22-2008 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by camaleon (Post 2836517)
Polar Bear,

Thanks for the description of your upgrade. I just did the same. I bought a CPO 2004 E 500 with low miles and have updated COMAND and DVD Nav to 2006.2.

I have a question regarding DVD MP3 playback, where do you load the DVDs? In the regular CDC and CD?

Regards,

The only slot that will accept a DVD MP3 is the one above the navigation screen. The changer will play MP3s, but the software update didn't seem to affect its performance, and the title of the CD is displayed incorrectly and you cannot navigate folders with an MP3 CD in the changer.

Also, I have noticed that my instrument cluster appears to update "slowly" after I changed CD tracks on occasion. It is not 100% reproducible, but typically does it a few times per day. If you power cycle the COMAND it will update the IC. I think possibly an IC software update might fix this. I will mention it when I take it in for service.

Did you find much better coverage with the updated DVD?

jimmydagreek 05-22-2008 12:53 AM

Nice write up! :y

unitfreebie 05-22-2008 05:52 AM

:y Ditto, nice write up!

Also Polar Bear, I like your movie screen at the end of the post... how do you do that?

Polar Bear 05-22-2008 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by unitfreebie (Post 2836845)
:y Ditto, nice write up!

Also Polar Bear, I like your movie screen at the end of the post... how do you do that?

Thank you.

It is an animated GIF. You can search Google for different ways to create them on various platforms (Windows/OS X/linux). There are a few different ways to do it depending on if you want to use free stuff, or if you already happen to own commercial software (Adobe ImageReady, etc.).

ss3964spd 05-22-2008 11:46 AM

Nice write up, Bear.

I had my '05 500 Comand and Nav updated as well, but I believe the lastest version of the Nav disk installed in mine is 08. Can't swear to it though - need to double check. Regardless, I am pretty satisfied with the Nav. Still cannot enter the exact street address but, for the few times I've used it, it's never failed to get me to my destination.

Dan

ATS 05-22-2008 12:09 PM

Loved that part in the movie when I was a kid.. thanks for putting that up.

unitfreebie 05-22-2008 04:57 PM

:y Animated GIF... Say, didn't Indy give that MNZ star to his girlfriend to wear around her neck???

But how do you upload it to your post??? The size is over 4 MB and you are allowed only 1 MB size attachments????

Similarly, how do you show a large picture in your post as opposed to a small attachment that you have to click on to see???

Polar Bear 05-22-2008 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by ATS (Post 2837275)
Loved that part in the movie when I was a kid.. thanks for putting that up.

I'm glad people enjoy it :)

Polar Bear 05-22-2008 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by unitfreebie (Post 2837965)
:y Animated GIF... Say, didn't Indy give that MNZ star to his girlfriend to wear around her neck???

But how do you upload it to your post??? The size is over 4 MB and you are allowed only 1 MB size attachments????

Similarly, how do you show a large picture in your post as opposed to a small attachment that you have to click on to see???

You can provide a link to external content, and the restrictions that the board imposes do not apply. The 4MB movie clip is actually pulling from one of my servers, so it is not really an "attachment" per se.

unitfreebie 05-23-2008 12:23 AM

Thanks.... now who has a free server I can upload/download to/from??? :D

Polar Bear 05-23-2008 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by unitfreebie (Post 2838829)
Thanks.... now who has a free server I can upload/download to/from??? :D

That I don't know - you might want to try imageshack or something similar.

Did you create something?

unitfreebie 05-23-2008 12:31 AM

No, not yet... but just lining up all the ducks incase I do!

I don't have that image program.

MJ50 05-23-2008 01:19 PM

so u need to update navi only if u r going to use latest navi disc?
is 2006.2 the latest DVD available?
there's no 07 or 08 disc?
anyone in socal already have the update discs? :naughty:

unitfreebie 05-23-2008 03:48 PM

The NAV DVD ver 2007.2 is out... I just bought it to replace my ver. 2005.2; Anyone want to buy my old one???

Humm, do I need that other update too?? :eek:

Polar Bear 05-23-2008 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by MJ50 (Post 2839815)
so u need to update navi only if u r going to use latest navi disc?
is 2006.2 the latest DVD available?
there's no 07 or 08 disc?
anyone in socal already have the update discs? :naughty:

If your navigation has never been updated, you will have to update it with the Navigation Update CD in the trunk unit before you can use the newer maps, then insert the updated map DVD. Yes, I do believe there is an updated map DVD available.

Polar Bear 05-23-2008 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by unitfreebie (Post 2840089)
The NAV DVD ver 2007.2 is out... I just bought it to replace my ver. 2005.2; Anyone want to buy my old one???

Humm, do I need that other update too?? :eek:

Not sure your's being a 2006MY car. Also, doesn't your car take a different COMAND unit being a CLK?

oilbelcher 05-23-2008 08:29 PM

how do I determine my COMMAND software version, and NAV software version? The later I believe I can just look at DVD, but what about Command?

Polar Bear 05-23-2008 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by oilbelcher (Post 2840538)
how do I determine my COMMAND software version, and NAV software version? The later I believe I can just look at DVD, but what about Command?

I think you can access the Engineering Menu to get this information, which is hold Mute + End + SERV. Be careful with this menu because it provide an opportunity for you to possibly change incorrect settings.

dhho1 05-26-2008 01:48 AM

I have a 2007 E550. The Nav won't allow the exact street address. That is a major problem for the interface. I see that the 2008 is still the same. Anyone knows when Mercedes will fix that?

Originally Posted by ss3964spd (Post 2837212)
Nice write up, Bear.

I had my '05 500 Comand and Nav updated as well, but I believe the lastest version of the Nav disk installed in mine is 08. Can't swear to it though - need to double check. Regardless, I am pretty satisfied with the Nav. Still cannot enter the exact street address but, for the few times I've used it, it's never failed to get me to my destination.

Dan

ss3964spd 05-27-2008 04:00 PM

I somehow doubt they even have plans to fix it.

I ran into my first real issue with mine; apparently Navteq does not believe "Wheaton, Maryland" exists. :nix:

Benz-O-Rama 05-27-2008 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by ss3964spd (Post 2846770)
I somehow doubt they even have plans to fix it.

I ran into my first real issue with mine; apparently Navteq does not believe "Wheaton, Maryland" exists. :nix:

I can confirm that Wheaton, Maryland does infact, exist. However, I'm not so sure that it should. :rolf:

unitfreebie 05-28-2008 09:27 PM

WTF !!! Upgraded to Command (MCS II) Navigation DVD ver. 2007.2 but no color !!!!

OK, so my car is a 2006 CLK 350 using the Command DVD ver 2005.2 which in Map mode gives nice colorful maps with street names...

So I decided to up grade to newer Command DVD ver. 2007.2 that I bought on eBay and received today... I eject the old DVD and installed the new one; it immediately says it is doing a Software update that takes about 4 minutes... which means I don't have to buy that separate upgrade CD as it is incorporated in the new Command DVD. All's good so far.....

It finished the software update and initializes the Command unit... I pressed the MAP button expecting to see a better map with lots of updates but NO WAY JOSE!!.. the streets are all in Black and White with street names in black!!! There is no color!!!

I dion't like it so I eject the new DVD and put back in the old 2005.2 DVD and i get the message that the DVD is older than the previous software so it does not work anymore!!! Did I screw my Command??? :wtf:

HELP!! is there a way or menu to get the colors back in the MAP mode???

Anyone?? :nx::wtf:

Polar Bear 05-28-2008 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by unitfreebie (Post 2851243)
OK, so my car is a 2006 CLK 350 using the Command DVD ver 2005.2 which in Map mode gives nice colorful maps with street names...

So I decided to up grade to newer Command DVD ver. 2007.2 that I bought on eBay and received today... I eject the old DVD and installed the new one; it immediately says it is doing a Software update that takes about 4 minutes... which means I don't have to buy that separate upgrade CD as it is incorporated in the new Command DVD. All's good so far.....

It finished the software update and initializes the Command unit... I pressed the MAP button expecting to see a better map with lots of updates but NO WAY JOSE!!.. the streets are all in Black and White with street names in black!!! There is no color!!!

I dion't like it so I eject the new DVD and put back in the old 2005.2 DVD and i get the message that the DVD is older than the previous software so it does not work anymore!!! Did I screw my Command??? :wtf:

HELP!! is there a way or menu to get the colors back in the MAP mode???

Anyone?? :nx::wtf:

Sorry if this is a silly question, but is it in night mode?