E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

W211 non-panoramic sunroof grinding noise and not moving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 e500
W211 non-panoramic sunroof grinding noise and not moving

Yesterday after disconnecting the battery on my w211 500 sedan , I tried “ re-synchronizing” my sunroof after fully open I tried closing it and it stopped halfway making a grinding noise . Now it does not move just grind . I have done this more than once after changing battery and had no problems before .

has anybody else had this problem and know exactly what it is ? Thanks 🙏🏼
And no it is not the pano sunroof . I have read there is a loose screw on those that causes this grind noise , but I’m wondering if it is the same for a regular sunroof
Old 11-13-2020, 01:33 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
'07 E350 (W211)
I'd be surprised if it's a different motor than the pano sunroof. Assuming it's the same, tightening the screws can be done, but at least for me, that was a temporary fix. The problem is the torque on the motor causes the motor housing to warp, pulling the gear out enough to begin grinding. I followed what this dude did. The motor housing was warped a good 1/4". I hammered it flat, put it back together, fashioned a cover bracket similar to him, and put it all back together. That was about a year ago or more and it hasn't made a peep since.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...of-thread.html
The following users liked this post:
JAME500 (12-12-2020)