E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Audio System Static / Menus Gone Bad

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500
Audio System Static / Menus Gone Bad

A really flakey thing happened to me last night: I was driving in the rain (with the rain-sensing wipers active) with a CD playing and all of a sudden I hear all of this static through the speakers (while the CD was still playing "in the background", since the static was definitely louder than the real audio).

Thinking that it might have been a dirty or scratched CD, I switched to radio mode only to hear the same thing. So I switched back to CD mode and, upon still hearing the static which appeared to be getting louder, for some reason I decided to switch tracks via the steering wheel control just to see if I could get it to stop. But when I displayed the audio menu, I just saw 4 or 5 hypens righ below the word "Audio" where I would normally see other information (like the current Track Number). The phone menu also showed the same hyphens where normally it would just show "Phone not installed", or something to that regard. At this point I thought it best to turn off the audio system and after about 2 seconds the static went away.

When I restarted the car about five minutes later (no other problems other than the static), all seemed fine... and subsequent restarts have also not caused this goofy thing to happen again.

Has anybody else experienced this? And if so, is there a service bulletin out on it?
Old 01-22-2003, 08:38 PM

2004 E500
Here's an update on this...

I know, who cares since nobody replied to this thread started my moi, but here goes:

The problem was traced to the defective GPS antenna on the reat window, likely caused by an electrical surge. It's in the shop now to fix it (they need to R & R the window to replace the antenna). So if anyone else has or does experience audio system static and/or the clock soft key being inop, this is the reason!
Old 01-22-2003, 08:49 PM

E500W '03, Porsche Cayman S '06
I had a very similar thing happen

CD changer playing a disc and then the static started.

Muted then Normal and still the static.

Then CDchanger stopped working completely.

The audio system wouldn't even recognise it just the '------' I could however play CD0

Meanwhile the battery went dead a few days later.

ERS came out and replaced the battery and at the same time I pushed on the fuses in the front panel and with that and the reset process the tech went through, all was better.

Changer immediately started working again.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
I recall several other posts very similiar to MMAT's but with different outcomes. Now jabo has yet another. Strange that the problem sounds the same but the fix is different in each case.

I did not got back and search for the other threads but do remember them being posted.

Another strange thing is that I don't remember seeing MMAT's original post that started this thread. If I had I might have mentioned the earlier posts.:p

Ed
Old 01-23-2003, 08:13 AM

2004 E 4matic StationWagon
No Fix

While I have not had the static problem, my radio does ocassionally not work at all or, seemingly at random, turns itself off. When either happens, the radio and cd are dead, the light on the radio power button is not illuminated, and the read-out gives the ominous _ _ _ _ _ .

My service rep has looked at this and reports that MB "is aware of the problem and there is no fix."

Any suggestions for moving this to a higher level? I simply cannot accept, and I don't think any of us should accept, unreliable radios in any car (let alone brand new $50k - $60k cars like ours).
Old 01-23-2003, 10:22 AM

E500W '03, Porsche Cayman S '06
Have you considered checking the fuses

I noticed that all of my fuses in the front panel were not well seated.

Just a thought.

In case you were unaware, the panel is in the dash on the left most side next to the door.

Not exactly easy to open the first time you try either.

This seemed to help for me, but may have been coincidental.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Yeah, this is starting to get really annoying. Not only does my radio lock up, but the integrated V60 also is pretty tempermental. I'd say at least once a week, the phone doesn't work, the radio gives static, shuts off etc.
Old 01-23-2003, 06:42 PM

2003 E320
HK Stearo

My E320 is at the dealors for an upgrade to the "gateway" for that system. It seen that there is a service letter out about that. I have the letter and it states that they are having complaints of the system intermittantly powering down....no power to anything related to the stearo system. The letter says that it is an overheating problem. Also when in the Logic 7 mode (more about that later) it was noticed that there was a cutting in and out of the right rear speakers. That was heard in the FM mode as well as playing CD's. We don't know if this is related to the "gateway" or if it just a loose connection in one of the rear speakers. Dealer ordered new rear speakers that lay up near the rear window. 3 spekers come in one unit.

Regarding the Logic 7 (surround sound) system. The information sheet that the dealer has decribed the system as being able to take a 2 channel signal and converting it to sourrond (5:1).

The Logic 7 system CANNOT play any surround sound, either Dolby Digital or DTS, CD's.....again only converts 2 channel into surround.
Old 01-23-2003, 06:51 PM

2004 E500
I stand corrected!

Originally posted by etenn
Another strange thing is that I don't remember seeing MMAT's original post that started this thread. If I had I might have mentioned the earlier posts.:p
Hey Ed, do a search on "ticking" in forum's history! But ironically, in that October thread I referred to an earlier post on the same subject... which apparently doesn't exist anymore!

Must be losing my mind...

But on a more positive note, I just got my car back from the dealer to address, among other things, this infamous annoyance... and the ticking sound is indeed gone (even though the service writer said he can't tell any difference).

So I'm happy about this - finally!
Old 01-23-2003, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
I took mine in a week ago..had to give them the infamous motor mount service bulletin number...they changed the mounts and the ticking is gone . I had seen some posts that complained that it did not correct the ticking and was hopeful that I would be lucky..I was and it sounds like you were also. Feels great.

Sure hope the radio thing is not catching. I can't imagine the look on my service advisors face when I tell him that the back window is causing it:p

Ed
Old 01-28-2003, 11:41 AM

2003 E320
UDATE ON GATEWAY/STEARO PROBLEM

Ok...so I got car back from dealor, They installed a Central Gateway, because there was an SOS malfuntion that they could not clear. They intallled a different Gateway assosiated with a service bullitin that MB has that details a problem of the power being removed from the entire stearo system on an intermetent basis due to overheating of this Gateway (located in the trunk).

Rear speaker problem-(the three that are up near the rear window)--The new Gateway did not fix this problem as thought it might in a pervious post, however after more trouble shooting by myself I found that the speaker problem only occurs while in the Logic 7 position. That is to say not heard in STEARO, DRIVER CENTERED or SPEECH. It was also just discover as I write this that the RR door speaker either is included in this problem or may be the sole problem speaker. The common thread is that this happens only in the Logic 7 mode. This leads me to believe it is NOT a speaker problem but a Logic 7 problem...won't the dealor be happy to hear my new report.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:44 AM

2004 E 4matic StationWagon
Bulletin Number?

CaptMike,

Can you get the bulletin number and post it? It might be on the receipt from the service department.

This would really help those of us still experiencing this problem.

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2003, 11:57 AM

2003 E320
STAR BULLETIN

Dated December 18, 2002

Order No: P-B-82.60/215

Group: 82

SUBJECT: Model 211 with Audio 50 Intermittent Loss of Sound

If you encounter instances in Model 211 vehicles of the Audio 50 system having the below symptoms, prior to replacing any parts chect the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) stored in the Audio Gateway (AGW).

--Sound system tuns off by itself and cannot be turned back on for a period of time.

--Sound system turns off and on by itself (AGW is overheating)

If DTC D004 is stored in AGW-DO NOT REPLACE AGW.

When a solution becomes available, the corrective action will be published in a revised DTB

Part numbers affected:
A211 827 18 42 (Basic)
A211 827 21 42 (Logic 7)
Old 01-28-2003, 12:02 PM

2004 E500
Originally posted by etenn
Sure hope the radio thing is not catching. I can't imagine the look on my service advisors face when I tell him that the back window is causing it:p
Ed,

It does sound absurd :o. But with everything else going on with this car, who knows!

BTW - the service writer said sometimes the rear window cracks when they try to remove it... so he offered me a choice since M-B apparently had a worldwide shortage of these windows:

a) Do it now, but if the window cracks it looks like I'll be driving an ML 350 for a couple of weeks minimum

b) Wait until they get some rear windows in stock

I chose door # 2, so I'm waiting for the windows to show up to schedule another appointment... at which time I'll have them address other things (like my rear window shade now rattling when I pump up the audio system's bass, which wasn't happening before they diagnosed the static problem - hmmm).

Owninf this car kind of reminds me of what a Harley guy said about owning that bike and the Japanese competition: The Japanese bikes are built better and require less maintenance, but it's so boring to live like that!
Old 01-28-2003, 04:58 PM

2009 ML320 CDi Bluetec
Re: No Fix

Originally posted by KShortill
While I have not had the static problem, my radio does ocassionally not work at all or, seemingly at random, turns itself off. When either happens, the radio and cd are dead, the light on the radio power button is not illuminated, and the read-out gives the ominous _ _ _ _ _ .

My service rep has looked at this and reports that MB "is aware of the problem and there is no fix."
I was told there IS a fix, namely new radio formware, anmd after they applied that fix my car is no longer doing this.

(But my battery light came on today, see separate post...)

Mike'