E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

If you want a manual transmission in the new US version of W211- AMG...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2002, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK55, Mini S
If you want a manual transmission in the new US version of W211- AMG...

Then send an email and/or letter to MBUSA, MB Germany, DC HQ, your local dealer, your regional rep. anyone and everyone. Try to address your correspondence to a particular person for highest impact. If anyone has any addresses or email addresses, of MB yuck-ity-yucks, post them...thanks.

The more noise we make, the more likely we will be heard. From what I am beginning to see, MB is realizing that AMG owners are their best customers, past, present and FUTURE.

If you write them, mention that you own or are on a list, deposit made and ready to buy...hoping it will have the option of a manual tranny in the USA.
Old 01-22-2002, 07:25 AM

1997 E230
Thumbs down

Have you ever tried using a MB manual box? I would'nt recommend it. Never tried the newish 6 speed myself so marbe this is an improvement. Previous manual boxes on the E have not been particularly pleasant to use....
Old 01-22-2002, 11:48 AM

CLK55, Mini S
Lesworth,
Personally, I don't really want a manual. But I know that some folks refuse to accept it a a real "drivers" car without it. So I would like to see it as an option. And besides, they have to start somewhere -- and I doubt that any manual transmission they could possiblely put out would satisfy 100% of the people, especially on this board.

But if an MB manual tranny came out and did suck, some tuner would come along and do it better...then MB would have to improve to meet the new benchmark.

In the most recent STAR magazine, they review the CLK55cab and comment that only the USA got it because so many folks bugged their dealers, MBUSA and other to get it here. My thinking is that this could work again.
Old 01-22-2002, 04:25 PM

First off the newer MB manuals are really good gearboxes, the 6-speeds don't suck at all. They shift really well, and feel like a short shifter. Anyways, I would choose the 6-speed over the automatic any day.

Good idea hmrdwn.
Old 01-22-2002, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
I recently drove the C240 6 speed and didnt find it rubbery or bad like many others have found it. I found it very pleasant to drive, actually the C230 coupe is one of the funnest cars i've ever driven. I've driven all the AMG models and M3s but I really find the C230K more fun.