E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Weird binding /grinding.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 12:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 Mercedes e320
Weird binding /grinding.

My 2003 e320 started act up out of the blue. When driving once you hit 20ish mph it develops a vibration. Then it's followed by a binding, grinding that isn't loud but is felt. Once it happens it won't go away till you come to complete stop or accelerate and get up to 50 mph. At times it goes away completely or is reduced. It will always come right back when car is driven again. There is a slight vibration in the feet, the pedal and driver seat and it sounds like it feels like it's coming from the center or center right. I recently replaced both hubs with bearings rotors pads and did not help. I have no idea what it could be as it goes away with speed. It does have a slight metallic sound to its very hard to tell as it's not that loud as stated. I did order 2 flex disc the center bearing and support. I cannot for the life of me figure this out. Quick run down. Vibration with grinding and binding. When it happens it won't stop till you come to stop. Sometimes goes away or decreased with speed or acceleration. Kinda sounds metallic but not sure. Feels like its coming from center or right of car. Can feel some vibration in feet, pedal and seat . Really hope someone can help. If you need more info let me know and I'll try to provide it.
Old 07-09-2022, 02:19 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
Tell me what happens with the new flex discs and the center bearing. I once had a center bearing (1973 BMW 2002) that would randomly howl very loudly. It was very frustrating because it sounded like everything was making the noise, and then it would just go silent.

Peter
Old 07-09-2022, 07:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 Mercedes e320
Crazy thing. It was my compressor. The bracket cracked and one post snapped. The way it was vibration it really seemed like the drive shaft. Im still going to replace the bearing and flex disc tho. I have verified it 10 times by removing relay and test driving. Like clock work no relay no vibrations or anything. Install relay and it starts right back up..
The following users liked this post:
Odd Piggy (07-10-2022)