E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Passenger side Brake light not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320
Passenger side Brake light not working

My 2003 E320 passenger side brake light is not working. All of the others work (driver side and truck). I took the trunk apart and found there is no power reaching it. I traced the loss of power all the way to the trunk fuse box. This is where I stopped. Any ideas what may have caused just the passender side brake light not to work?
Old 09-15-2009, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by mcutarelli
My 2003 E320 passenger side brake light is not working. All of the others work (driver side and truck). I took the trunk apart and found there is no power reaching it. I traced the loss of power all the way to the trunk fuse box. This is where I stopped. Any ideas what may have caused just the passender side brake light not to work?
Don't you even get another bulb coming on instead of the brake light? The car should use a substitute bulb if the brake light bulb is broken.

Did you check that there is no short circuit, try detaching the wire from one end.

I guess you do get a bulb warning or some other malfunction message? It could be the SAM too.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320
Passenger side brake light not working

I took all of the tape wrapping the wires to the passenger side brake light from the fuse box in the trunk. There was no break or short circuit. The first thing I did was replace the light buld circuit board (have to change all of the lights if one is out. odd... i know, but this is how MB built it). There was never a message on my dash board indicating the light was out from the beginning. A friend told me it was out. Thus the start of the exciting adventure. I think the next step is to look at the fuse box or wires leading to the fuse box for the pass. side brake light.