E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Brake visit workshop light still :( 2004 E320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e320
Brake visit workshop light still :( 2004 E320

Hi, I am trying to find someone to reset the BRAKE visit workshop light on our 2004 E320, I tried our local dealer but the service writer told me there is no way to reset that light, you must replace the sensors to do it, that is the only way to make the light go out....

All I did was replace the rear pads the sensor is fine front brakes are harldy wore and were not done that long ago, When we did front brakes alst time no one replaced the sensors, they did the time before though. so I really think the service guy is filling me with something special <grin>

Now to find someone that will at least put it on a scanner or something, I'm far from any other dealers (2 hours)

I tired doing the rest by some of the directions here but it did not work, I really feel this is the issue as it was time for pads and the wear was about right for the sensor light to come on

any other help would be great!
thanks!
Tom
Old 08-30-2010, 11:20 AM

Anything with wheels and some without!
I am have the same issue right now with my '03 E500. Dealer has it now and is telling me the light is due to a faulty brake relay switch. They quoted me $265 to "replace the faulty switch and clear the codes". I got home and called the parts department and they told me that part runs $18. According to the Sticky Thread in the W211 forum, this should be a 10 minute fix, so they're charging me $247 fot 10 minutes of labor and to hook my car up to Star and hit clear. I think if I were you, I would read that Sticky first and if you feel confident in your mechanics skills, try swapping out the brake relay switch yourself. A $20 attempt to trouble shoot this problem, in my opinion, is a good choice to much pricier alternatives.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:36 PM

e320
Originally Posted by SCE Matt
I am have the same issue right now with my '03 E500. Dealer has it now and is telling me the light is due to a faulty brake relay switch.
brake relay switch? or the brake switch to the pedal? , I'm ex Auto tech, so I have no problem working on things like that here, I'll take a better look for psots on the subject,. and I'll give call to the parts department
thanks!
Old 08-30-2010, 04:29 PM

e320
Originally Posted by SCE Matt
I am have the same issue right now with my '03 E500. Dealer has it now and is telling me the light is due to a faulty brake relay switch. They quoted me $265 to "replace the faulty switch and clear the codes". I got home and called the parts department and they told me that part runs $18. According to the Sticky Thread in the W211 forum, this should be a 10 minute fix, so they're charging me $247

Well Crud, I just got back witht he 8 dollar part, installed it, and brake visit workshop is still on

I guess it will have to go to dealer, bummer is, we are supposed to trade this car in tomorrow , going to miss the rebates now........
Old 09-01-2010, 02:25 AM

Mercedes E500
The same thing is happening to my 2003 E500. I've replaced all the brake sensor wires and the brake light switch in the driver's side footwell. After those steps, the visit workshop code still appears on the center display. I've spent a fair bit of time searching the forums, but they all seem to point towards a faulty brake light switch, which unfortunately isn't the case here. Is this something that needs to be fixed by the dealer at this point?

If anyone else could help with this it would be extremely appreciated!
Old 09-01-2010, 06:00 AM

e320
Originally Posted by jakek21
The same thing is happening to my 2003 E500. I've replaced all the brake sensor wires and the brake light switch in the driver's side footwell. After those steps, the visit workshop code still appears on the center display. I've spent a fair bit of time searching the forums, but they all seem to point towards a faulty brake light switch, which unfortunately isn't the case here. Is this something that needs to be fixed by the dealer at this point?

If anyone else could help with this it would be extremely appreciated!
well, I ended up taking the car into the dealer I bought the car from (I should had just taken it there to begin with, but I thought I could save some darn time)

my pads were fine (just had rear done) wear sensors were all fine, I changed the switch just for the heck of it because it was a 8 dollar part (we were trading the car in and I was hoping to get it all done before the deal ran out on the trade) anyhow

taking it to the dealer they put it on thier scanner,
I assume and only Assume, it was the brake switch that caused the fault, they cleared the fault and scanned the sbc? shoot I would have to look at the bill now

but just to let you know, the dealer tech confirmed what has nbeen said here and other places, someimtes the BRAKE go to workshop light might be from the switch, but many times it is from the sbc? which is covered under warranty for 10 year unlimited miles, and if that is the case, there is no charge for diagnoses, repair at all.

so it was worht it just to be sure therre was no other problem with our car
Old 01-09-2012, 05:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320
Brake visit workshop light or message on in my 2004 E320

I have a 2004 E320 that had the visit bake workshop message displayed. It was on before and after I replaced the front pads. After a month or two, my SBC failed and my car stopped itself on the side of the road. It would not allow me to get out of park, once it stopped.

I had the car towed to Mercedes and they replaced the SBC at no cost, since they know these are failing. After they replaced the SBC the visit workshop message was still displayed and they wanted $200 to put in a new brake light switch. The switched is underneath the driver's side dash. I declined the repair.

Once I picked up the car, I installed a new brake light switch for $9 and the visit workshop message was gone!

I thought I would pass this along.
The following users liked this post:
bhesse (01-21-2020)