MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W211) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211-20/)
-   -   Turn off rearview/sideview mirror autodimming? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/370877-turn-off-rearview-sideview-mirror-autodimming.html)

doubleagle 10-12-2010 01:34 PM

Turn off rearview/sideview mirror autodimming?

Hello All,

Been lurking here for quite some time but was not able to figure this one out. I was wondering if it was possible to turn off the auto dimming feature on both my rear view as well as my side view mirrors. I recently had my windows lightly tinted and when the auto dimmer kicks it it can be somewhat difficult to see out of the mirrors.

Any ideas?

Barry45RPM 10-12-2010 04:38 PM

Cover the electric eye in the center windshield rearview mirror with a small piece of opaque tape. (Black electrical tape cut into a crisp small square is easy & unobtrusive).

t0ast 10-13-2010 04:41 PM

Not 100% sure that this will work, but the mirror in my '07 has two connectors going to the dome assembly. One should be for the Homelink unit in the mirror, and the other should be for the auto-dimming mirror itself. I assume its a matter of trying to see if disconnecting either will disable the autodimming mirror yet keep the Homelink.

Do a search for "dome removal," and you'll get DIY instructions for removing the front dome lights to get to the mirror. They're pretty straightforward, and I got into my dome to replace a blown bulb within 30 minutes - just be careful of everything snapping into place.

PHDZINE 10-14-2010 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM (Post 4295173)
Cover the electric eye in the center windshield rearview mirror with a small piece of opaque tape. (Black electrical tape cut into a crisp small square is easy & unobtrusive).

I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with those Broadway rear view mirrors but I have to have on in all of my cars. It blocked the sensor on the stock rear view mirror and the auto dim function no longer works.

doubleagle 10-15-2010 01:44 PM

Thanks for all the tips. I was hoping that I could simply just switch the feature off. I may just go with a piece of tape. We'll see.

Thanks

lkchris 10-17-2010 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by doubleagle (Post 4301351)
Thanks for all the tips. I was hoping that I could simply just switch the feature off. I may just go with a piece of tape. We'll see.

Thanks

When it's a safety feature, there's seldom a "switch to turn it off."

PHDZINE 10-18-2010 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by lkchris (Post 4304156)
When it's a safety feature, there's seldom a "switch to turn it off."

...you can turn off traction control.

doubleagle 10-19-2010 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by PHDZINE (Post 4305672)

I was thinking the exact same thing. To me it seems as though the auto-dimming is more of a "comfort" type feature. But the ESP button is most assuredly a safety feature that can be disabled.

sosh 10-19-2010 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by doubleagle (Post 4307940)
I was thinking the exact same thing. To me it seems as though the auto-dimming is more of a "comfort" type feature. But the ESP button is most assuredly a safety feature that can be disabled.

Dont believe you can turn off all of the ESP functions. When you do turn the ESP off I believe it leaves the basic safety functions still to be operative.

lkchris 10-19-2010 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by PHDZINE (Post 4305672)

Not completely, actually. But, enough to get you out if you're stuck in snow.

PHDZINE 10-20-2010 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by lkchris (Post 4309171)
Not completely, actually. But, enough to get you out if you're stuck in snow.

You can disable it 100% through the scheduled maintenance service sequence from the COMAND system and turn on “dynamometer mode”. :y This is how I do my burnouts! :naughty: I’m not sure what years this applies to though

ShaneN. 10-06-2017 03:13 AM

Old thread but where exactly is the sensor in/on the mirror?

ShaneN. 10-14-2017 07:12 AM

This car is new to me but I still can't figure out where the sensors are. I noticed that there is two humps on the top of the mirror that have slots on three of fourth sides and assumed that was them. After covering them with electrical tape I can confirm that is definitely not the sensors. I really only have one negative comment about the car, and the auto tinted mirrors is it. Where are the sensors!?

konigstiger 10-14-2017 04:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
No mention of model year, hopefully attachments will answer your question.

rapidoxidation 10-15-2017 11:37 PM

Thanks for another informative and educational post, konigstiger.
I've found that the mirrors are woefully dim while backing at night, and if I have read the function correctly the reverse gear being engaged should automatically cause the mirrors to go to full bright thanks to the signal being sent to the appropriate module via CAN. Is there a way to test this function for correct operation? Would it be easier to simply install a brighter (LED?) reverse lamp in lieu of the incandescent ones already there?

konigstiger 10-16-2017 03:03 PM

IMHO short of MB DAS doubt reverse gear CAN transmission, interpreted through overhead control panel, relayed to inside rearview mirror can be tested manually.