Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 241 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Looking to buy a 2007 or 2008 E350 4matic

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about jumping into my first Mercedes. I currently own a 2007 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro and have nothing but awesome things to say. Never had a bad experience with a lot of issues that seem to plague the car. Nonetheless, i'm getting a good $ from someone who wants to buy my car, so i'm thinking about going Benz.

I have a few questions as I'm meticulously reading each thread.

1) Are there significant differences between a 07 or 08? I know the 09 had a better COMAND system, but it's a bit out of budget
2) Any significant issues that I should be aware of? I'm staying away from AIRMATIC suspensions, but are there significant engine or tranny issues that can't be rectified by TLC?

Thanks everyone
Old 06-14-2011, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
More than 07 or 08 I would look for a low mileage car in pristine condition that has been well taken care of. I would also look for a well optioned one... P2 would be very nice. Both model years benefit from the face-lift and I think by 07 Mercedes has worked through most of the issues with the earlier models.

I personally love the Airmatic suspension of my car but realize it is an expensive maintenance item down the road... I think you can find a pretty good deal on a 2007 E350 with 4MATIC... It is a great car and I'm sure you will enjoy it very much Good call looking for one with 4MATIC!
Old 06-14-2011, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic
Yes, to piggyback on that comment, definitely find the options you want, there are TONS of 07/08 E350s on the used market, so don't rush into anything.

Seriously consider the P2 package AND parktronic. I got both, but at the time didn't really care about parktronic, but my wife felt strongly about it, so we did find one with both, and I have NO regrets at all... the sensors are very handy when parking in my garage, as well as other places. The P2 option is wonderful. The thing is the options hardly add anything to the price of a used car.

Equally important, is to be aware that the M272 engine had a mechanical upgrade to correct for a defect which was introducted for 2008 models after a certain engine serial number. My car was built in 12/07 and sold as new in 1/08, it's a 2008 and my engine serial number is just over starting serial number for which the mechanical upgrade was installed at the factory. The balanced shaft gear in earlier M272 engines have a tendency to wear and fail, thereby causing expensive repairs, warranty or not, paid for by Mercedes or not. In any case, to avoid that potential problem, do some research to find the serial number for which those M272 engines with serial numbers after a certain serial number has an upgraded balanced shaft gear installed, so no worries down the road regarding that problem.

That being said, both cars are essentially identical, I'd get a 2008 with the upgraded balanced shaft gear, with P2 and parktronic.

My car also has 4MATIC, wood trimmed steering wheel, sports package, walnut wood trim, the split fold down rear seat, which is quite handy when transporting long items, or needing lots of space, as well as an upgraded rather rare interior... Sahara beige/black interior, which is a black headliner, dash, floor and doors, with cream colored leather seats and upper door accent... it's quite stunning, if you like that contrast two-tone look, which we do. I think it has all the options, except the panoramic roof... which is also pretty cool.

I love the car... do most of the maintenance myself, have not had any issues, and would highly recommend.

Oh yea, when you get yours... check out Zaino for the paint treatment... that stuff ROCKS... your car will shine like crazy and last for a while without having to fuss over it every month (once you get past the the first few months of obsessing on constantly washing and shining your car)

Good luck!

Last edited by mikebaglini; 06-14-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 241 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Thanks for the update. I'm actually Canadian - so i'd be looking at a 08 E300 4matic (I believe they are sold as E280's in the US). Do the E300's have a potential balance shaft issue? All the cars I'm looking @ are CPO, and some are a late 2007 build like yours. I'm probably going to buy the extended warranty for peace of mind
Old 06-15-2011, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic
In the US, the smallest W211 engine offered for 07 - 09 models is the M272 3.5L engine. Yes, the engine in the Canadian model for a 2007 - 2009 W211 (E series) that you are referring to, is the is the 3.0L M272. It's the same engine with the issue that I mentioned, just a different displacement than mine. The issue applies only to those vehicles equipped with M272 engines bearing serial numbers up to 2729..30 468993. If your serial number is after that, than you're good.

I cannot say if the issue applies only to one displacement, I would doubt it, since it's applicable to the M272 engine within a ragne of serial numbers. That't the only way to be sure... check the engine serial number. Have the dealer provide you with the VMI (Vehicle Master Inquiry, some won't give you a hard copy). They will run a VMI for you and show it to you, where you can see the specific configuration of your car regarding option numbers/serial numbers for the engine, transmission and all componetns as identified by the factory when they built the car, as well as all Mercedes Dealer services that the car experienced. This is a good way for you to know the history of your car, if the prior owner brought it into the Dealer, instead of an independent shop.