E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

J&D Auto Reliability Report out: Mercedes came in...

Old 06-23-2011, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
J&D Auto Reliability Report out: Mercedes came in...

Fourth place!? Amazing given some of what we read on the forums but it leads me to believe that since the 2000s they have indeed improved the quality and reliability of their newer cars.

Certainly encouraging to see this. I noticed Audi and BMW was not in the top 10 and it somewhat vindicates my decision to not consider an Audi as much as I liked some features I just did not feel it would be reliable enough for a dail driver I can use for a few years.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
Fourth place!? Amazing given some of what we read on the forums but it leads me to believe that since the 2000s they have indeed improved the quality and reliability of their newer cars.

Certainly encouraging to see this. I noticed Audi and BMW was not in the top 10 and it somewhat vindicates my decision to not consider an Audi as much as I liked some features I just did not feel it would be reliable enough for a dail driver I can use for a few years.
fwiw, there are (literally) millions of Mercedes on the road. And only a small fraction of those owners are on car forums. And those who are on forums most often initially got on them to inquire about something that had gone wrong, or to ask about the perceived reliability of a certain model.

The only true statistics come from the industry. MBUSA and the dealers and repair shops.

But one can get a glimpse of common issues that might crop up (on any brand of car) by checking the car forums. On the other hand there's a lot of misinformed perception on car forums, too. And a lot of straight out misinformation. It can even sometimes be just like the National Enquirer and other sensationalism news outlets.

I find that my car seems to run a lot better when I'm not reading car forums. My doctor once told me that he thought he had every disease imaginable when he was going through medical school. You know, like you think you have some rare condition after reading about it on the internet.