E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Throwing keys out the window

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 04:17 PM

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
2007 E63 Amg
Throwing keys out the window

I was watching this old Top Gear episode where they tested a Lexus with a keyless-go system. Jeremy Clarkson stole the keys out of the Lexus that James May was driving. James got in the car, drove forward a bit, and then the car shut off without the physical presence of the keys in the car, which made me think, "what'd happen if I threw the keys out the window while driving my W211?"

Old 11-13-2020, 01:26 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
'07 E350 (W211)
I can tell you! I had my key in my laptop bag which was in the car. I started it, then realized I didn't want my laptop in the car so I took it out and then drove off. About 30 minutes down the highway it started beeping like crazy, the dash display starting blinking red - the car was quite angry. So I figured I'd turn around and head home to get the key. As soon as I got to a stop the car shut off while still in drive. This happened on about the busiest off-ramp in Atlanta at Buckhead during rush hour traffic. Fantastic! Fun times!

Obviously user error and all, but it's totally ridiculous that it allowed me to drive about 15 miles/30 minutes before letting me know.

And because I like to do dumb stuff more than once.... I did this exact same thing another time on a trip to Home Depot. Shut off the car, looked for the key... awww, ****. Had to get a round trip Uber to go home and get my key. That was only about 10 minutes and the car never let me know. And you can't lock the car without the key.
Old 11-13-2020, 03:27 PM

2007 E63 Amg
Originally Posted by robbieas
I can tell you! I had my key in my laptop bag which was in the car. I started it, then realized I didn't want my laptop in the car so I took it out and then drove off. About 30 minutes down the highway it started beeping like crazy, the dash display starting blinking red - the car was quite angry. So I figured I'd turn around and head home to get the key. As soon as I got to a stop the car shut off while still in drive. This happened on about the busiest off-ramp in Atlanta at Buckhead during rush hour traffic. Fantastic! Fun times!

Obviously user error and all, but it's totally ridiculous that it allowed me to drive about 15 miles/30 minutes before letting me know.

And because I like to do dumb stuff more than once.... I did this exact same thing another time on a trip to Home Depot. Shut off the car, looked for the key... awww, ****. Had to get a round trip Uber to go home and get my key. That was only about 10 minutes and the car never let me know. And you can't lock the car without the key.
Thanks! What is your car? What you described didn’t happen for my w211 E63.
Old 11-13-2020, 03:54 PM

'07 E350 (W211)
Weird. Mine is an '07 E350. Obviously with Keyless Go. I would think they'd act the same, or maybe mine isn't working right.... which given my stories, seems like the case. Though I posted something when this happened and it seemed like everyone thought I was crazy for thinking it should have acted differently, or at least told me sooner.

What does yours do?

Old 11-13-2020, 03:55 PM

2007 E63 Amg
Weird. Mine is an '07 E350. Obviously with Keyless Go. I would think they'd act the same, or maybe mine isn't working right.... which given my stories, seems like the case. Though I posted something when this happened and it seemed like everyone thought I was crazy for thinking it should have acted differently, or at least told me sooner.

What does yours do?
I am the one making the video :-)
Old 11-16-2020, 12:01 PM

'07 E350 (W211)
I never click on videos. Interesting though, thanks for sharing.
Old 11-16-2020, 03:20 PM

2007 E63 Amg
I never click on videos. Interesting though, thanks for sharing.
Thanks! Yeah, I do YT for fun —nothing else. I was curious about a couple of things in w211 that I am making videos about. I tested shifting into R while driving forward. Also gonna test a few other things for fun.