E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Few questions from New old guy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 E350
Few questions from New old guy

hello everyone. Im new to this board and MB in general . I recently got an 09 E350 w/ sport package and have a few questions as i dont have a manual . My questions are:

1. Is the side view mirror supposed to tilt downward when the tranny is in reverse?
2. Is the steering wheel supposed to retract when the engine is turned off, making it easier on egress/ingress?
3. Tires- will 255's fit on the front? CUrrently have 245/265 (F/R).
4. Comfort and Sport modes- what exactly are the differences? I can only detect a slightly stiffer ride in S but cant see or feel anything w/ regards to throttle response, steering , and shift points.
5. Is there a dipstick for the Tranny?
6. Oil-MB recommends 0-40. Are other viscosities, like say 0-30, allowed?
7. How do i activate the headlight washers? I cant find the button/lever anywhere!
8. The panoramtic sunroof creaks and makes noises especially when the car flex over uneven surfaces. Is this normal?
9. There are some small cracks in the wood (or clear coat?) on the dash and ashtray area. Could this be covered under warranty?

thank you!

Kosmo
Old 04-02-2012, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
1. Is the side view mirror supposed to tilt downward when the tranny is in reverse? NO

2. Is the steering wheel supposed to retract when the engine is turned off, making it easier on egress/ingress? wHEN THE HEY IS REMOVED

4. Comfort and Sport modes- what exactly are the differences? I can only detect a slightly stiffer ride in S but cant see or feel anything w/ regards to throttle response, steering , and shift points. SHIFT POINTS MOVE IN S AND IN C THE TRANS DOES NOT START OFF OR END UP IN 1ST EVER

5. Is there a dipstick for the Tranny? NO

6. Oil-MB recommends 0-40. Are other viscosities, like say 0-30, allowed? STICK WITH WHATS RECCOMENDED.

7. How do i activate the headlight washers? I cant find the button/lever anywhere! THEY SPRAY AUTOMATICALLY EVERY 7TH TIME THE WIPERS WASHERS ARE USED I THINK. ITS NOT MANUAL IN THE 09S

8. The panoramtic sunroof creaks and makes noises especially when the car flex over uneven surfaces. Is this normal? YES

9. There are some small cracks in the wood (or clear coat?) on the dash and ashtray area. Could this be covered under warranty?
CANT SAY, BUT PROBABLY SHOULD BE

MANUALS ARE AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD AT MBUSA.COM
Old 04-02-2012, 12:13 PM

2009 E350
Good stuff Barry. Anyone know if 255 tires will fit on the front? tks
Old 04-02-2012, 01:41 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 S550 4matic
Wow, lots of misinformation Barry.

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
1. Is the side view mirror supposed to tilt downward when the tranny is in reverse? NO

WRONG. yes it is. So you can see the curb when backing up. It's an optional setting.

You should be fine with 255s as long as you keep your a/r the same.

4. Comfort and Sport modes- what exactly are the differences? I can only detect a slightly stiffer ride in S but cant see or feel anything w/ regards to throttle response, steering , and shift points. SHIFT POINTS MOVE IN S AND IN C THE TRANS DOES NOT START OFF OR END UP IN 1ST EVER

To really tell the difference here, turn the key to position 2, hold gas pedal down to kickdown for 5 seconds, key off then on. resets the self learning function of the car.

I'm unaware of any such warranty item.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
7. How do i activate the headlight washers? I cant find the button/lever anywhere! THEY SPRAY AUTOMATICALLY EVERY 7TH TIME THE WIPERS WASHERS ARE USED I THINK. ITS NOT MANUAL IN THE 09S

8. The panoramtic sunroof creaks and makes noises especially when the car flex over uneven surfaces. Is this normal? YES
I am pretty sure y 2007 E550 has a button to activate the headlight washers. It is next to the headlight control knob unless I'm mistaken.

I also have the pano roof and thank god I was able to get rid of the creaking noises. My local MB dealer apparently has a "pano expert" and when the noises were brought to their attention they managed to make them all go away. They did some lubrication and made some other "adjustments" but if they know what they are doing and meticulous enough they can make the noises go away.

I think the pano roof actually calls for "maintenance" every year or two to prevent noises from coming back. Anyone know what the duration is for pano roof maintenance/lubrication?
Old 04-02-2012, 02:23 PM

2013 CLS550, 2013 GLK350 4-Matic
Originally Posted by kosmo
hello everyone. Im new to this board and MB in general . I recently got an 09 E350 w/ sport package and have a few questions as i dont have a manual .
Kosmo,
Welecome to the board. You can download a copy of the owners manual from the MBUSA website below. You'll need to sign up, but no charge.
http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servic...mand_manuals#1

Also be sure to read Konigstiger's "sticky" on "Free access to MBUSA parts catalog". (Free to US residents). There you can get a datacard that will show the options that your car came with.
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...s-catalog.html

Post some pictures of your new ride!

Mike
Old 04-02-2012, 03:39 PM

2009 E350
JCAT, how can i set the mirror to tilt downward? Also whats "A/R"?

i already downloaded the service manual.

thanks for the info
Old 04-02-2012, 04:05 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
2007 E350 Sedan
It may be that this feature has to be enabled in the system-see the following posts--

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...r-08-e350.html
Old 04-02-2012, 04:48 PM

2017 S550 4matic

thanks for the info
i believe it can be set in the in-dash menu...check the link above i can't remember what it's called.

A/R is the aspect ratio of the tire..its the second number (i.e. 245/45r/17)
Old 04-02-2012, 04:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
06 SLK55, 22 EQS450
If i recall, it's a combination of both. You have to set it on the in-dash menu. But when you are reversing, the right mirror adjustment button needs to be pressed as well. If it is not, the mirror won't tilt.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:56 PM

2017 S550 4matic
Originally Posted by vegeta
If i recall, it's a combination of both. You have to do it on the in-dash menu. But when you are reversing, the right mirror adjustment button needs to be pressed as well. If it is not, the mirror won't tilt.

epiphany = had.

I was wondering why sometimes after I detailed my interior (read: wiped down door panel) the mirror wouldn't tilt. Good lord
Old 04-02-2012, 09:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
12E350, 12ML350, 08C350

thanks for the info

Take the car to your MB dealer, request them to activate this feature. I had an 08E350 (the dealer where I bought the car said " this model year do NOT have this feature "), I come to 3 different MB dealers in my local (OC,CA), the 3rd dealer (Fletcher Jones Motorcars of Newport Beach, CA), activate this feature in 15 minutes (without charge). Not all the MB dealer have the same knowledge on the cars they are selling, even they have all the access to MB SDS machine. Bigger dealer (like Fletcher Jones) have the BEST technicians know how !!!. Do a search, there will be some MB dealer in your local know HOW TO ACTIVATE this feature. If not, go to the next dealer, until you find someone know how to activate this feature. Good luck !!!!.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
I am pretty sure y 2007 E550 has a button to activate the headlight washers. It is next to the headlight control knob unless I'm mistaken.
My 07 has the washer button, but it was deleted in 09. The mirror look down function was deleted in MY 07. Save the red ink for something important.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
My 07 has the washer button, but it was deleted in 09. The mirror look down function was deleted in MY 07. Save the red ink for something important.
Oh. My. God. They eliminated the headlight washer button in 2009 to save money?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
Oh. My. God. They eliminated the headlight washer button in 2009 to save money?
Yup, and in 07 no matter what color your interior was ordered in, the lower left dash got a headlight switch assembly in mis-matching black only.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:35 PM

2009 E350
Hey Barry I got the HEy out! i figured out the retracting steering wheel.
Its in the dash menu under "convenience." I think "Inconvenience" would have been more appropriate!

Also a dealer told me that a noticeable crack in the wood is covered under warranty.

One more-

did our cars come w/ active Bi-Xenon
headlamps? I have the P2 package and dont recall if its "active."

From the book :

"The active Bi-Xenon headlamps monitor the
vehicle’s steering angle and speed, then
automatically shift their beams to either
side to better follow the curvature of the
road ahead, increasing usable illumination
over conventional headlamps. "

Last edited by kosmo; 04-03-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Its in the dash menu under "convenience." I think "Inconvenience" would have been more appropriate!

Also a dealer told me that a noticeable crack in the wood is covered under warranty.

One more-

From the book :

Your lights will dance for you when you first start the car on if you have bi xenon lights.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350

One more-

From the book :

Park your car facing a wall at night and hours later when you start it up, turn the headlights on if they're not on auto. If they're active headlights, they will do a little dance looking down, up, left & right.

Once you know what to expect while you're driving at night, its really easy to see the headlights dart into a curve, then snap back as you come out of it. Its NOT a slow motion or a huge arc. They only turn when you're driving.

However, I had an '04 that was supposed to come with Active bi xenons, but was built & shipped with non active ones probably due to not having them on hand when the car went down the assembly line... so anything's possible The user "Konigstiger" can get you a "build sheet" which will list the code for every option/variation that went into your car as it went down the assembly line if you send him your VIN. He is very "knowledgeable" with these cars and MB.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
hello everyone. Im new to this board and MB in general . I recently got an 09 E350 w/ sport package and have a few questions as i dont have a manual . My questions are:

1. Is the side view mirror supposed to tilt downward when the tranny is in reverse?
2. Is the steering wheel supposed to retract when the engine is turned off, making it easier on egress/ingress?
4. Comfort and Sport modes- what exactly are the differences? I can only detect a slightly stiffer ride in S but cant see or feel anything w/ regards to throttle response, steering , and shift points.
5. Is there a dipstick for the Tranny?
6. Oil-MB recommends 0-40. Are other viscosities, like say 0-30, allowed?
7. How do i activate the headlight washers? I cant find the button/lever anywhere!
8. The panoramtic sunroof creaks and makes noises especially when the car flex over uneven surfaces. Is this normal?

thank you!

Kosmo

There seems to be adequate answers already in this form but also a bit of conflict and mis-information, so I will answer with my "expertise" anyway:

1. Yes, the mirror is supposed to tilt downward as a feature to help with parallel parking and the curb, I actually find it helpful when doing so. I believe it can be disabled.

2. Yes, when my steering wheel is set low enough it will retract to a higher position when I remove the key from the ignition. However, I have noticed when the dealer was working with it and set the steering wheel high initially, it really didn't move per say just based on where they set it.

3. Not sure, would check with your dealer or wheel manufacturer.

4. Comfort mode allows for better fuel economy, because it starts you out in 2nd gear instead of 1st gear when in that mode. You can feel the difference in RPM, sound, and especially when on a sloped road or driveway such as mine. I also feel a bit of throttle response difference, but remember it won't always be tangible to all.

5. Going to garage right now... answer is no.

6. I am sure it would work, because most transmissions these days work on a mixed or different viscosity range, however I DO NOT recommend using anything different, especially if 0-40 was used initially. Don't play with fire, a German transmission isn't cheap to wear or rebuild.

7. The button should be on the dashboard on a surface about level with the ignition on the other side of the steering wheel. It is just a button that you press that has a corresponding symbol on it. Some model years may not have such an option, but if you do in fact have them there it is.

8. I have had this issue in my Mercedes before when going under extremely rough surfaces (no off-roading here ) with the right door in my car, but it still feels solid anyway. It would indicate an issue with frame rigidity which is likely just a facet of the car's engineering, however I don't have that option so that is as far as I can speculate.

9. I would contact your dealer on this again, because I do not believe it is however they seem to be willing to answer these questions for you if you just give them a call.

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 04-04-2012 at 02:27 PM.