MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W211) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211-20/)
-   -   As a Mercedes Owner... (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/442266-mercedes-owner.html)

AMGAffalterbach 04-06-2012 01:58 AM

As a Mercedes Owner...

Any interesting experiences or things you've noticed about being in public ever since you bought a Mercedes (assuming yours is nice enough:rolf:)?

I know I have, even though the Merc is a common car brand around here I notice that tons of people look at the car driving by, near grocery stores, gas stations, etc. I remember one time I was driving to pick up a few friends of mine at a restaurant and I got a very intense look from a gentle coming out of the establishment :nix: definitely as a result of the car.

Perhaps I feel too elated driving a Mercedes now - your experiences?

CharlieU 04-06-2012 07:32 AM

You're probably keeping your new baby clean and shiny. People notice that. However, I went with a W211 because of the design of the front end, especially the headlights. It makes the car stand out from all the others in it's size class. With the W212, Mercedes joined the rest of the herd of undistinguishable midsized sedans. Keep it clean and you will have a car that people will notice and immediately recognize for years to come.

jcat 04-06-2012 07:37 AM

Yeah, the w211 is definitely one of the more recognizable models outside of the SL that really just grab peoples' attention. Keep it clean and with any exterior mods and people will break their necks.

However, an interesting thing I've noticed (espcially since you're young like I am...er...younger actually) is the negative connotation people take on when they ask you what you drive and you say "a mercedes". It's like they immediately just go 'oh...you're a little rich boy huh' in the back of their minds. It's whatever though, they can enjoy their kias :)

though I will say I love the looks I got this past winter in my 4matic when I was blasting by pickup trucks and SUV in 6 inches of snow haha

willy_manilly 04-06-2012 10:03 AM

W211 reeks of class. The front end and the lines of the vehicle look fantastic.

Whenever i drive past shop windows i just stare at the reflection!

I remember when i had mine parked out the front of the local newsagency and coffee shops, i heard an older gentleman say "thats the most beautiful car i've ever seen". This was back in about 2007 maybe 2008, made me smile a little bit!

However I do get more looks in the S350 :P

Flash Gordon 04-06-2012 10:20 AM

The car used to get a lot of stares when I bought it new in November 2002. There were very, very few back then with the new model. I paid over 1K extra for the special paint, black opal, which really made the car look good. From far away the black opal looks black, when you get close it has a mixure of navy blue and black. It drew a lot of attention with it's elegant looks. I still believe it's one the best looking sedan ever made, much better looking than the current model!

AMGAffalterbach 04-06-2012 10:54 AM

Certainly the most beautiful sedan in the world to me, though perhaps I'm a bit biased ; ). And I think the same way as you Jcat, I have received criticism for it at my age but you find out who your true friends are by it all. I had the option at one point to get a Camaro SS and later an STi for even less, more popular among adolescents here for sure, but nothing compares to the class and elegance of the W211. And they can use their "Mercs are for old men" percepts when I claim victory at the track hahaha.

fila0220 04-06-2012 11:19 AM

I'm a pretty young guy too, it def has to do with ur age. When i take out my dads S550 I get a lot more stares. It makes me feel like i'm an outcast loll. In my E class I feel a lot more comfortable, but still i feel eyes watching me every time i come to a light. I feel most grounded when driving in my friends 98 corolla, cause thats when i know they aren't looking at me because of the car

AMGAffalterbach 04-06-2012 11:31 AM

One gentleman in parking lot almost had an AMI when he saw me in a freshly waxed Merc haha don't know why that strong of a reaction but hey it works for me. Let's all admit that these cars tend to... attract the woman on occasion lol - my theoryas to why the doors are so thick and robust... keep excess females out hahaha

mxracer 04-06-2012 08:33 PM

If im going to buy something i make sure they dont see my car because people assume your loaded for bear when they see that friggin star. Funny thing is ..... i have an 04 with 45k and i paid 17k for it a few months ago and my neighbor has a 2010 Sonata and he gets treated like hes poor yet he spent almost twice the price i did.:nix:

AMGAffalterbach 04-07-2012 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by mxracer (Post 5137719)
If im going to buy something i make sure they dont see my car because people assume your loaded for bear when they see that friggin star. Funny thing is ..... i have an 04 with 45k and i paid 17k for it a few months ago and my neighbor has a 2010 Sonata and he gets treated like hes poor yet he spent almost twice the price i did.:nix:

Buying any luxury vehicle is never cheap compared to what you can get domestically (not to mention maintenance and such)... but one thing that is great about German imports is that they depreciate in value very very quickly - bad for new car owners but excellent for those on the used market. So I consider many of you quite intelligent :naughty: But yeah... I have noticed that too, I was touted as a "rich kid" by the son of the former CIO of American Express at school... enough said haha, but that stigma is there to stay.

Another singular thing that happened tonight was in regards to the (perhaps) wonderful sheriff's department we have here in Highlands Ranch. I accelerated quite hard, not at the point of straining my engine but enough, at a stop light to get into the right lane that soon merged into a turn lane due to some other traffic around at 10:30 at night. Proceeded at about 53/54-ish in a 45 in a low traffic area to realize the car behind me was a police unit. Maintained the same speed, made the turn at the light, and was being followed by the policeman. He accelerates to pull up next to me, looks a bit confused, realizes it looks like a 13-year-old is driving a Mercedes (lol me...), tips his hat, and merges off. Now considering (and I kid you not) a friend of mine received a ticket for 4 MPH over a month ago (officer Christopher H. felt like he wanted to "prove a point" ) and my mother a ticket for 7 MPH over about 8 months ago within the same district/county, I would like to think this rich kid stigma entails a "potentially has a copious amount of lawyers" or "he did something right" precept that made it not worth his time. A long shot, yes, would I like to think so... you bet.

Quadcammer 04-07-2012 05:24 PM

really? people give a **** about 5 year old e550s?

I'm 28, look maybe 22, and nobody gives me any looks.

You can't throw a rock in my area without hitting a benz...nobody cares, women included.

s5benzo 04-07-2012 06:34 PM

its because your nj oliver !! lol

jcat 04-07-2012 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Oliverk (Post 5138807)

You can't throw a rock in my area without hitting a benz...nobody cares, women included.

Wow...apparently the cars not at fault for your situation...I can't imagine why women don't flock to you (/sarcasm)

AMGAffalterbach 04-07-2012 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Oliverk (Post 5138807)

Lollllll. Actually I have received the comment from those unaware about Mercedes model years that it "looks brand new to me." Perhaps it's just me :naughty:

Barry45RPM 04-07-2012 08:12 PM

Anybody can drive a Benz. Simply lease one in December during the Winter Event... they give them away.

Looking rich & successful entails much more than driving a clean MB... How you dress, speak, where you dine (not eat), your education, your job, and where you live. Anybody who jumps to conclusions without taking into account all of the above is an idiot... or a child who is dazzled by shiny objects.

fila0220 04-07-2012 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM (Post 5138979)
Anybody can drive a Benz. Simply lease one in December during the Winter Event... they give them away.

Looking rich & successful entails much more than driving a clean MB... How you dress, speak, where you dine (not eat), your education your job, and where you live. Anybody who jumps to conclusions without taking into account all of the above is an idiot... or a child who is dazzled by shiny objects.

well said

AMGAffalterbach 04-07-2012 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM (Post 5138979)

Looking rich & successful entails much more than driving a clean MB... How you dress, speak, where you dine (not eat), your education your job, and where you live. Anybody who jumps to conclusions without taking into account all of the above is an idiot... or a child who is dazzled by shiny objects.

I cannot agree with you more. "Class" is not something that can be obtained by driving a certain car or being part of a certain socioeconomic background. It is a result of many facets of refinement including education, ability in discourse, . However, you cannot deny that a Mercedes-Benz is an important symbol in the world of luxury as is Armani et cetra - and this is something that many people will directly relate to it when they see you driving a Mercedes. So, in a realistic world, many will jump to this conclusion.

The point of this thread is not to be elitist or pretentious, but rather to hear about others' experiences with this precept and people's reactions to nice cars that we are all blessed to have.

Quadcammer 04-08-2012 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by jcat (Post 5138921)
Wow...apparently the cars not at fault for your situation...I can't imagine why women don't flock to you (/sarcasm)

wow yourself chief.

I don't use a car to try to attract women...its pathetic to do so.

I didn't buy my car for attention, so I'm perfectly fine with my situation.

1911jon 04-08-2012 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach (Post 5138126)
I accelerated quite hard, not at the point of straining my engine but enough....

Dude, what are you talking about?

I got my E55 a few weeks ago and I have done many WOT launches. What is this engine strain?

Your sentences give me the impression that English is your second language but you're trying extremely hard to get the grammar down.

I suppose my car turns a few heads when I stomp on it, or when I'm around gearheads that know what it is. Otherwise it's a pretty incognito sedan.

fila0220 04-08-2012 06:59 PM

His English style is a bit formal, but to be honest, I spoke like that also when I was his age. I learned to dumb it down and speak eye to eye with the given audience. But give the kid some slack, he is just excited about owning his w211, it's not everyday a guy gets a car, let alone a Mercedes.

On to the topic tho, the e class is one of the most common mercs out there. What sets them apart is the mods or small details done to a few cars that really bring out the characteristics of the body style. Of course having a freshly cleaned whip also helps :naughty:

If you really wanna stand out tho, check this out... Got it from another forum. Not everyone is gonna like it, but it definitely stands out

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...20903548_o.jpg

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...34886146_o.jpg

but i digress...

kbahl21 04-08-2012 07:00 PM

a milf stopped me outside of dunkin donuts today and told me i had a nice car, that made my day lol...

you cant walk 5 feet in my town without seeing an s-class, e-class, etc... I suppose my car does stick out from the other benzes rolling around in my town, and at wot its kinda loud. Personally i think 99% of the people staring at my car think im some sort of a**hole or something lol.. i just turned 21 btw

1911jon 04-08-2012 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by fila0220 (Post 5140026)
But give the kid some slack, he is just excited about owning his w211, it's not everyday a guy gets a car, let alone a Mercedes.

Yeah, good point. Sorry if I came off like a jackass in my comments.

To that end, we're just people, and the people who see us, smile, wave, or assume that we're pretentious douches....are also just people.

My E55 is by far the nicest car I've ever had. I did have a 3 series and a 5 series in the past though. I bought both of them with over 180k but shined them up and enjoyed them. I guess I'm pretty immune to other people's opinions when it comes to the car I'm driving.

AMGAffalterbach 04-08-2012 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by 1911jon (Post 5139901)
Dude, what are you talking about?

I got my E55 a few weeks ago and I have done many WOT launches. What is this engine strain?

Your sentences give me the impression that English is your second language but you're trying extremely hard to get the grammar down.

I suppose my car turns a few heads when I stomp on it, or when I'm around gearheads that know what it is. Otherwise it's a pretty incognito sedan.

English is not my second language but my parents are not from this country... thank you for judging. It was just about experiences we have had with our Mercs - this thread - and as you have seen, some people have had the same which is interesting to hear. But it now serves to judge the way others talk, criticize immigrant families such as mine, and put others below you :confused:. If you didn't have any experiences to share than why comment like a condescending douche and then give a hollow apology? Get off your high horse. Is this more ethnic for you? I TRY SPEAK ENGLISH IT HARD FOR ME THANKS YOU FOR CORRECTERING THE ENGLISH OF I YOU IS NICE, SIGN-ED AMGAFFALTEЯBACH

he is just excited about owning his w211
guilty however ;) and you make a lot of valid points

AMGAffalterbach 04-08-2012 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by kbahl21 (Post 5140028)
a milf stopped me outside of dunkin donuts today and told me i had a nice car, that made my day lol...

you cant walk 5 feet in my town without seeing an s-class, e-class, etc... I suppose my car does stick out from the other benzes rolling around in my town, and at wot its kinda loud. Personally i think 99% of the people staring at my car think im some sort of a**hole or something lol.. i just turned 21 btw

Like that around here too, but I can relate haha. You ask her to get in lol? :bow:

kbahl21 04-10-2012 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach (Post 5140261)
Like that around here too, but I can relate haha. You ask her to get in lol? :bow:

i should have but i didnt have the balls lol mainly because she had a kid with her