Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
HID Headlight Failure

Everyone,

I hope everyone is having a good start to their summer months, I know I am without the crushing responsibility of 7 hours of school and another 5 hours of homework thereafter. Fortunately many of you work and don't get two months off less people on the roads during the daytime.

Anyway, at about 7pm today I had the good fortune of turning on my car to a warning light that said "Low Beam Right" and finding out that the front right projector lamp was not functioning. I do not have xenon lights, just the high intensity discharge bulbs as standard on the facelift W211s. Tomorrow I might take it to the dealer to have that replaced but I have a few questions I tried researching but to no avail. First, can just the bulb/projector be replaced? Do I have to replace the entire module? Finally, in either case is this easily done at home and about how much are we looking at?

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2012, 07:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
If you do not have Xenon lights, they are not considered HID. They are just referred to as halogen lighting with projector beam lens. It would be a simple replacement and it should be outlined in your owners manual. You could pick up a bulb at an auto parts store and install it yourself.

Xenon is a little more complex.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E500 2004
the projector wont need to be replaced the indicator is just telling you the bulb isnt lighting up and needs replaced. now if your rig didnt come stock with the xeon lighting package then you either have stock halogen bulbs. but if someone has tried to upgrade to a HID system then i would try to see if its the bulb or a ballast by useing the working bulb as a test in the right side..one thing do not touch the bulbs with your hands the grease transferred with cause premature failure use some rubber gloves or make sure to wipe any incidental touches off very well before firing them up this will tell you if its a bulb or a ballast issue either way very simple job to replace. if you need someone to tell you what you have take a bulb out and snap a pic and post it up.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
Yeah sorry I used the term HID inaccurately, but good to know it's a simple fix.