E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

red battery light visit workshop

Old 08-05-2010, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 e320
red battery light visit workshop

i just recently gotten the red battery light visit workshop sign. and since i gotten it a week ago. i been having problem with starting my car. sometime it would start sometime it wouldnt. i replaced the battery in the trunk. it drove fine for a few days without giving me trouble about starting my car. but it is doing it again now. what else could be the problem?

p.s i drive a 2004 e320. any help would be appreciated. =]
Old 08-05-2010, 04:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
This is probably the longest ongoing thread on this board. M-B certianly did not win any friends with this set up. You probably know there is an aux battery in the engine bay under a plastic lid near the passenger side firewall. Both batteries tend to fail within the same year. Also, there is an alternator recall and a device called a BCM (battery control module). I have no idea how to test it. Several people on this board have posted extensive information about trouble shooting and repair of these parts. Search "red battery light" or "Auxilliary battery" There is another warning that mentions reducing electrical load by shutting down non essential loads in a methodical manner (seat heaters, wind screen defrost, radio etc. Sometimes that one appears on the dash display as well. I would guess that 75% of these problems are related to battery age. It is a common fault and USUALLY not terribly expensive.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 sl 500
replaced the battery in the trunk on 2004 sl 500 the light on dash will not go off is there a reset switch 0or something?
Old 06-13-2012, 05:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
Originally Posted by criquet
replaced the battery in the trunk on 2004 sl 500 the light on dash will not go off is there a reset switch 0or something?

Not trying to be a jerk but....Did you read the post above yours?

There are a LOT of threads about this.