MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W211) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211-20/)
-   -   Replaced my MAF, still have a stall/near stall from stand still (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/493838-replaced-my-maf-still-have-stall-near-stall-stand-still.html)

mrbdm99 03-30-2013 05:59 PM

Replaced my MAF, still have a stall/near stall from stand still

Well, my CEL came on as I was heading out of town so I stopped at Autozone to get my code(s) pulled. They came back with a possible CPS and MAF. I had to replace the CPS early on in ownership and the problem that was presented then was much different than what I'm seeing now, so I'm fairly confident that it isn't the CPS.

Here is what happens (which feels like a MAF from my other German bread cars)... Anything higher than a crawl, I'm fine. On slowing to a stop, there is a stutter/bogging that happens that feels like the engine is either being flooded or starved. IF I try to take off, unless I super feather the gas, before I'm stopped (i.e. rolling stop), there is a strong chance the car will just die. If I stop completely, give it about 10 seconds, then feather out the gas, no problem.

I bought some MAF cleaning spray, pulled the old MAF, cleaned, still had issues. I planned to just get something online to replace it, but we were visiting family in New Orleans and all the near death experiences I had while the car start to stall in their, much heavier than us, traffic made me run to the auto parts store to get an over priced replacement. It was better to spend a bit more and get it done now.

Welp, that didn't work. I replaced it, gave it the 20 minute (followed by an hour) of driving and all the same problems were still there. I even pulled that part off again, cleaned it, re-seated it, and had the same problem. I looked at the wires inside and they weren't as straight as the old one, so I suppose it could be a bad unit... But, barring a bad unit, I need some ideas! I can't keep throwing money into parts and my time is limited.

I will say that I am having a heck of a time getting that collar back onto the new unit (or the old unit for that matter), but based on my reading here, that shouldn't be an issue.

Plutoe 03-30-2013 06:29 PM

You need to concentrate on getting a good scan to define the issues!

mrbdm99 03-31-2013 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Plutoe (Post 5596288)
You need to concentrate on getting a good scan to define the issues!

Yes, that is true. Dealer and indies charge about half as much as the MAF to do a good scan. Guess I'll probably need to suck it up.

mbe350cme 04-01-2013 07:24 PM

theres a code converter online that u can use get the code and i can coss reference it

mrbdm99 04-03-2013 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by mbe350cme (Post 5598606)
theres a code converter online that u can use get the code and i can coss reference it

Thanks. It comes across as just one of the Mass Air Volume codes. P0102.

I took it back to the store to get them to scan it again, after I replaced the MAF, and it was still showing the same code. He cleared it, I left (knowing it wouldn't help to clear it) and I told him I would be back tomorrow to try a different MAF in the rare case the one they gave me was already bad.

Next step is to call up a few of the indy places here to get prices on running a full scan.

radioman 06-25-2013 08:26 PM

similar MAF / idle issue with C55

mrbdm99,

Did you ever find the solution to your idle/stall problem? I'm having a very similar experience with my C55, have already replaced the MAF, already cleaned the throttle body and throttle body plate, and already had my local mechanic reset the codes yet STILL the car idles rough (just like yours) and stalls.

We can't seem to figure our what else to do.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

ozusa 06-27-2013 09:54 PM

Check upstream of the MAF...

Originally Posted by darrenbusiness (Post 5692615)
mrbdm99,

Did you ever find the solution to your idle/stall problem? I'm having a very similar experience with my C55, have already replaced the MAF, already cleaned the throttle body and throttle body plate, and already had my local mechanic reset the codes yet STILL the car idles rough (just like yours) and stalls.

We can't seem to figure our what else to do.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

The air filters and intake air ducting may be clogged. That will of course reduce airflow and perhaps thus produce a P0102. ALso check the condition of the rubber seat/gasket into which the MAF seats. Any air that by-passes the MAF sensor will confuse things. So could vacuum leaks.

Park4303 01-14-2016 12:54 PM

MAF

I have the same problem. Replaced MAF and still have problem. 2 separate shops cant find problem. Did you? thanks!