E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

License Plate Light Replacment - LED - 2009 W211 **HELP**

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 W211 E350 4Matic
License Plate Light Replacment - LED - 2009 W211 **HELP**

I have watched and read pretty much EVERYTHING there is out there on replacing the license plate light fixture on the 2009 E350 [W211]

I am able to remove the panel and get to the fixture, but for the life of me am not able to remove it from its setting. It seems to me that the unit is too big to push down and out through the outside of the vehicle and I can't figure out how to pull it out from behind the trunk panel. I was able to separate it from being clipped in place, but just can't get it out. The new LED fixture also doesn't seem that it would enter through the outside, and I could only imagine it squeezing in from the inside, behind the trunk panel.

ANY help would be appreciated since I am at my wit's end with this DIY job. See below for the LED that am I trying to install. I am sure I am not the only one that has had this problem, and all of the threads I read seem to touch on 2010 W212 and forward or prior to the 2009. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2013, 10:44 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Have you removed the two screws that hold the rear handle and pushed the handle downward and then unclip and push the lamps put!!
Old 04-19-2013, 01:36 PM

1999 W211 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Plutoe
Have you removed the two screws that hold the rear handle and pushed the handle downward and then unclip and push the lamps put!!
Which rear handle? The one used to open the latch from the outside? I have removed the panel from the inside and tried to remove it from the inside. The only thing I removed from the outside was the clear plastic cover to the license plate lights and removed the old bulb. I can figure how to remove the entire fixture to then insert the fixture I showed above. Please assist!
Old 04-19-2013, 01:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD

Ok, First open the trunk lid---do you see the license plate bulbs---then do you see two screws between the bulbs. Those screws hold the handle in place----if the screws and handle are not there then I am looking a the wrong document???

If they are there then do as I suggested
Old 04-19-2013, 02:30 PM

1999 W211 E350 4Matic
Ok, First open the trunk lid---do you see the license plate bulbs---then do you see two screws between the bulbs. Those screws hold the handle in place----if the screws and handle are not there then I am looking a the wrong document???

If they are there then do as I suggested
There are no screws between the bulbs. I was able to remove the bulb and loosen the fixture. I also disconnected the wire, but I can't seem to figure out how to remove the actual piece. Do I pull it from the inside/back of the trunk or try to push it through the outside/front of the trunk? I will post pics when I get home.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:49 PM

1999 W211 E350 4Matic
ok - so I figured it out, finally! You MUST remove the lower 1/2 panel on the outide of the trunk. There is a screw on either side behind the trunk panel and you must also remove the license plate covers/plates. There is also a central screw from behind the trunk through the center of license plate.

Here is the tricky part - You then have to start on either end and CAREFULLY pull the panel toward you while sliding your finger or plastic tool towards the center of the panel to loosen the clips holding it in place. I believe there were 4 or 6 total. The lower half of the trunk then slides down and the whole light fixture comes off. Insert the LED fixture, test and then reattach the panel.

Good luck - I wish I took pictures, but I was so excited to finally get it on after wasting so much time.

PS - the LED license plate lights look great - I am thinnking about converting every single bulb now.
The following users liked this post:
cMazara (07-21-2017)
Old 05-27-2014, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 W211 E240
UPDATE: I did the same installation today. The OP forgot to mention there are 3 clips on the bottom half of the panel and glue so you need to slide a flathead from one side all the way across the bottom to the other side to undo the bottom clips and glue. At this point you can pull the panel! I can understand why the OP didn't include pictures of removing the panel because after all this I was SO happy to finally have that **** off!!!
Old 05-27-2014, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts
W204 C63 AMG, W212 E250 CGI, C207 E250 CGI
or...you could have simply bought a couple of C5W LEDs from ebay and do as Plutoe suggested. 2 mins and youre done.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:30 AM

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
14 550 sedan
For some reason just an LED bulb swap did not work for me.. The housing that held the bulb deflected too much light and it would appear very dim, even with the brightest most expensive bulb I could get my hands on.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts
W204 C63 AMG, W212 E250 CGI, C207 E250 CGI
Really? I wonder why? Mine works just fine and its a very quick mod. Makes a lot of difference From the rear IMO.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:53 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
w211 03'
Originally Posted by miggymiggs
ok - so I figured it out, finally! You MUST remove the lower 1/2 panel on the outide of the trunk. There is a screw on either side behind the trunk panel and you must also remove the license plate covers/plates. There is also a central screw from behind the trunk through the center of license plate.

Here is the tricky part - You then have to start on either end and CAREFULLY pull the panel toward you while sliding your finger or plastic tool towards the center of the panel to loosen the clips holding it in place. I believe there were 4 or 6 total. The lower half of the trunk then slides down and the whole light fixture comes off. Insert the LED fixture, test and then reattach the panel.

Good luck - I wish I took pictures, but I was so excited to finally get it on after wasting so much time.

PS - the LED license plate lights look great - I am thinnking about converting every single bulb now.

Lasted like an hour searching, this is the ONLY thing that helped me continue.. dam this germans, had to dismantle half of the trunk to change 2 bulbs.. Leds look amaizing. wished i had done a diy but it was 2am and really pissed as how hard is to changed this.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:07 AM

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
20' RCF, 18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
Arrow

Yep, see this thread.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...te-lights.html

Shows how to remove the rear panel. Super easy but not as intuitive if ya never did it before.
Total time to remove lower panel and trunk liner is about 15-20 minutes.

-Nigel
Old 07-21-2017, 07:58 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
w211 03'
Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy
Yep, see this thread.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...te-lights.html

Shows how to remove the rear panel. Super easy but not as intuitive if ya never did it before.
Total time to remove lower panel and trunk liner is about 15-20 minutes.

-Nigel
Yes I saw it and read it, but was not celar without the pics and as to remove the final part... After having an idea as to what to do you are right, it's pretty easy.