MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W211) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211-20/)
-   -   Who has over 100,000 miles on their gasoline W211? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/503295-who-has-over-100-000-miles-their-gasoline-w211.html)

irondad 07-04-2013 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Taylor-Made'90 (Post 5702295)

She's starting to show her age, but she still ticks 27mpg running 75+ on the highway with the AC on..... :bow:

HUH??? How are you doing that? EPA highway estimate for that car is like 20, and the E320 was, what, 23, 24? And at 75, in the heat, in Texas? Dude...seriously?

Impressive miles, though.

Inspiredbenz 07-04-2013 03:26 PM

^ dont be suprised im getting 30-32 on my E500 highway !!

I changed to NGK sparkplugs the laser ones cost me 11 a piece

Inspiredbenz 07-04-2013 03:32 PM

But I would Say Average for me is 28-29, I dont complain owning a V8 im suprised my self !!!Street is a diff story lol about 18-22!!

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78c66f2a.jpg

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/...psd899a816.jpg

jcjmw 07-04-2013 08:35 PM

2005 (purchased on ebay in Nov. 2005)
E55 AMG Wagon
103k miles so far
Besides normal, I had to rebuild engine after no. 2 and 8 went lean at 64k miles.
I love this car. As soon as so someone provides a RELiABLe S/c upgrade kit for it, I will buy it. Until then, its finding time to install high stall TC and finding reliable installer for ported heads. Wife thinks I am nuts. She even bribed local merc dealer to persuade me to get current model AMG wagon. But, I love MY 05 wagon too much!

06E5004ME 07-04-2013 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Inspiredbenz (Post 5702447)
But I would Say Average for me is 28-29, I dont complain owning a V8 im suprised my self !!!Street is a diff story lol about 18-22!!

Those pictures are extremely misleading. Just because you coasted downhill for 2 miles, doesn't mean you get 30+mpg in a car that is not supposed to. V8s with 4Matic are lucky to get 25 on the highway with light foot. 14-16mpg in the city is realistic. RWD models are not that better off.

185 degrees... hot damn!

Here is a more accurate depiction of MPGs on a properly maintained 500. Started measuring once I set the cruise control at 70mph:
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p.../photo-2-1.jpg

J Dubya 07-05-2013 12:16 AM

I averaged 25.4mpg last weekend going from Tulsa to OKC with the cruise set at 82MPH.

Of course I had to play throttle jockey at times passing people who were determined to stay in the passing lane, who were doing under the speed limit.

EDIT: Forgot to mention my E550 is at 81,500 miles on the odo. Not quite 100,000, but damn close.

irondad 07-05-2013 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Inspiredbenz (Post 5702447)

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78c66f2a.jpg

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/...psd899a816.jpg

No five-liter engine is getting near that sort of fuel mileage and spark plugs don't magically create super-mileage cars. That's just not possible if you understand how a four stroke gasoline engine works. As posted before, 2 miles does not make for an accurate average because you can be coasting and getting 64mpg for half of that. Additionally, the fuel mileage gauge isn't that accurate. The first indication might be the 185 degree outside temperature... considering the highest temperature ever recorded on Earth is something like 134 degrees.

If you really want an accurate calculation of your miles per gallon, drive the car until the reserve light comes on. Immediately fill the tank with the lever lock on. When it stops don't put in any more gas. Reset your odometer to zero. Drive until the reserve light comes on again. Immediately fill the tank with the lever lock on. When it stops don't put in any more gas. Record how many gallons you filled. Record the miles since reset. Divide the miles by the gallons and you get miles per gallon.

You can start at the reserve light and stop at whatever amount you've used if your distance doesn't allow use of a full tank, but the the more miles and gallons increases the accuracy. I'm sure you understand the math.

The point is that the only way to determine true miles per gallon is to measure how many gallons the car consumes in x-number of miles. If you do that, I'm confident that you'll find that there is no way an '03 E500 is getting more than 23mpg on the highway... tops... and maybe 16 in the city... tops...

txboifrozt 07-10-2013 07:23 AM

E500
112K Miles

--------------

So far nothing majorly wrong with the car. I have replaced the brakes and rotors. I have replaced the Ball Joints as that is very common. I now need to replace the Heater Control Valve and I will get on to that as soon as I can. I replaced the Spark Plugs myself (Very Easy) and a independent was going to charge 500$ labor which is crazy. I had to fix the license plate wiring and replaced them with LED'S which is much better.

I took a trip up to Colorado from Texas last Christmas and it was a joy of a ride going up those mountains. I feel completely safe knowing that I am driving a car that is very dependable for me and my little girl In the back seat. I can rest assure whatever is my destination I will make it there. I also recommend any one needing to do some tire shopping to have a look at the Continental Extreme Contact DWS they handle the rain and snow like a champ.

AMGAffalterbach 07-11-2013 08:11 PM

I can get 27 mpg MAX with my 2007 E550 on the highway, that is with the air conditioner on and at 6000 feet above sea level. In the city I can get about 18.5 mpg max if I drive very consciously... *but* since that never happens I end up getting 14-15 mpg city and 19 highway.

BLACKECAR 07-14-2013 10:50 PM

e350 trans problem

Originally Posted by 06E5004ME (Post 5701972)
Yes. If you don't replace the transmission connector ($10 part IIRC) the oil will actually travel up the wires into the conductor plate. Seen it happen on other MB vehicles as well, that's why it's important to change it whenever you change the transmission fluid. Valve body is also transmission.

What are the symptoms when this happens,I have a 06 e350 111000k.The trans has had several problems including not wanting
to shift out of low and recently,not pulling at all, shutting the engine down and restarting and it's good..I have had the trans fluid and filter changed last month..I have not been pleased with this car at all:confused:..thanks for any info or comments..

ChrisFernandes6 07-14-2013 11:05 PM

E500

06E5004ME 07-14-2013 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by BLACKECAR (Post 5713336)
What are the symptoms when this happens,I have a 06 e350 111000k.The trans has had several problems including not wanting
to shift out of low and recently,not pulling at all, shutting the engine down and restarting and it's good..I have had the trans fluid and filter changed last month..I have not been pleased with this car at all:confused:..thanks for any info or comments..

From the symptoms that you listed, I'd say that your valve body electrical plate is bad. The only way that I can think of checking it is to ask your mechanic to check the plug.

http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/merc...e-1402700861oe

Look at the picture on the left, the plug connector goes in there. If oil got in there, it could mean that your plate is defective. As you can see, it's not expensive, you could probably find it on the internet for $120-$150.

On mine, I saw the oil starting to go up the wire, but the inside of the connector was still dry so I lucked out.

Search for electrical plate problems on this board, I'm sure you'll find plenty as this is pretty common problem.

Read through this thread, seems like the same issues you're experiencing:
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-problems.html

And this:
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...on-issues.html

Kropf 07-31-2013 10:37 PM

After 40 years of building/driving muscle cars, my now 103,000+ mile 2005 E55 is so enjoyable that I'm looking forward to putting on the highest mileage that I've ever clocked. This happened a few months ago:
http://kropf.us/2005E55/E55-100000mi...30-600x592.jpg

I bought it with about 95,000 ,iles and I'm giving it a bunch of long-lacking TLC as time permits, and making some notes and posts along the way. Here's one that took the most time: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...les-chart.html

(Here's a related post in the AMG forum: Highest Mileage e55/63 here)

Now onto the 155,000 mile Mercedes High Mileage Award. :zoom:

06E5004ME 08-01-2013 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kropf (Post 5733541)
Now onto the 155,000 mile Mercedes High Mileage Award. :zoom:

Oooh. I have less than 4k miles to 155k. Thanks for that info!

irondad 08-02-2013 02:53 PM

That cracks me up that Mercedes-Benz considers 155,000 miles "high mileage"...

Transportoic 09-15-2013 04:09 PM

100,000 mile debate

1 Attachment(s)
As far as the service issues or problems by 100,000 mi, I have to say that they are no different than other cars.
Up to now I have had the following things replaced:
brakes
engine mounts
alignment
ball joints
cup holder
center cap for wheel
service battery

So that's it aside from the usual oil/fluid changes, filters, tires, wipers, and occasional bulb etc.

And now for the MPG discussion. The Attached picture is my highway MPG while I was in CA. This was Barstow/LA/Barstow. At one point I topped 32 MPG. I lost MPG b/c of driving into town for a quick bite to eat. I can always expect to see 31ish MPG if the weather cooperates.

bernard farquar 09-15-2013 06:13 PM

I have 116K on my 2003 E320. I bought it three years ago with 67K on it.

I changed the spark plugs myself, and have been using the FSS to tell me what items to address with each oil change. I have had transmission and differential fluids changed, and brake pads replaced, so far the only non maintenance repair has been my SBC system reaching the end of it's service life, luckily while under warranty. Also I had a rear cat that was plugging, but when I took it to the dealer to make sure, it had spit out the obstruction, and they determined there was no issue. So I have three cats now.

spclagent7 09-15-2013 11:55 PM

2004 E320. Bought car in late 2006 with 27k miles. 7 years later, car has 143k miles.

Repairs:

SBC (under warranty)
Engine mounts, both sides
Transmission mount (preventative maintenance when engine mounts replaced)
Control arms, upper and lower
Ball joints, front
Valve cover gasket
Cup holder
Batteries, both of them

I will soon be replacing the front passenger headrest. My 4 year old daughter got upset and kicked it multiple times... The interior plastics broke and now the the front half of the headrest no longer stays on.

Will also be replacing rear right tail lamp assembly. Somehow got lightly cracked. Half of the running tail light is off. Driver display says that rear right tail light and rear right fog light are both out.

kjkyzar 09-16-2013 12:40 AM

2004 E0500.
158,xxx
averages over 23 m.p.g, per trip computer.
most comfortable car I have ever owned.
bought it with an extended warranty good to 185,xx, hopefully it continues to purr along.

Hardy1111 09-17-2013 02:30 PM

2003 E500 170,000

Front brakes 3 times (DIY)
Rear brakes once (DIY)
Regular oil/filter service ~every 13K (DIY)
Heater control valve (DIY)
Transmission service (flush and filter) (DIY)
Transmission electrical connector replacement (DIY)
Front Lower ball joints (DIY)
Upper control arms and ball joints (DIY)
Thrust control arms (DIY)
Rear battery twice (DIY)
Front aux battery twice (DIY)
air tubing from airmatic air compressor to actuator block, rubbed a hole in the hose from being against the wheel well (DIY)
New light bulbs annually (they seem to go out every Nov/Dec) (DIY)
Headlight lens "polishing" once (DIY)
Various parking lights
Replacement wheels (cracked a set on really bad roads)
Tires every 30-40K
Driver side door lock actuator (DIY)
Wiper/turn signal arm, failed to actuate wipers (Dealer)
Rear window for failed defroster (dealer)
Serpentine belt tensioner, broke when driving) plus belt replacement (Dealer)
Electronic control gateway (Dealer)

Open issues to be addressed in the next 10K-15K:
New rear bumper where I got backed into recently
Rear airmatic dropped last winter. I'll clean up the overflow tank connectors and see if it goes away.
air/oil filter
plugs
new tires
storage drawer under seat just broke

To be addressed between 185-225K
brakes front/rear
rotors front
front struts I suspect
rear bags I suspect (but I hope not)

And (if I make it that long) 225-275K
front brakes (again)
air/oil filter
tires
transmission flush/filter
serpentine belt, pulley and water pump

I'm not sure I'll have it past 225K. I've been wanting a C63 instead and perhaps a beater Fusion/Optima/Cruz for work driving.

Also, I have to say...if I couldn't do this work myself I would have spent a ton at the Dealership. It pays to have tools, spare time, and a garage!

The Thomas J 09-17-2013 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by kjkyzar (Post 5781033)
2004 E0500.
158,xxx
averages over 23 m.p.g, per trip computer.
most comfortable car I have ever owned.
bought it with an extended warranty good to 185,xx, hopefully it continues to purr along.

WOW! 185,000 miles? That's great. What company? How strong is the warrenty? what does it cover, & if you don't mind telling us, how much was it?

My warranty is good until July 2017 or 120,000 miles which ever comes first.

kjkyzar 09-18-2013 12:46 AM

I bought it from a used car dealer in Lynnwood, WA. Called Carson Cars. The owner has been a friend and client of mine for well over 10 years. I paid $10,000 for it. The warranty is through a company called American Auto Guardian, Inc. The warranty is for 2 years, or 24,000 miles after the purchase. And the warranty states it will cover all the engine related components. I don't know if it is available outside of a used car dealership, and, have not had any experience using it yet. But, for the price, it seemed like a very good idea. I researched this car extensively, and would not have bought it without a warranty. So far, the only problems is the SBC unit. But, Wilson Motors in Bellingham, WA has already ran my VIN, and confirmed I am eligible for a new SBC unit through MB, at no cost to me. I am just waiting for the registration to arrive, in my name, then I will run it into them, and do the SBC, and get a second key made. I have a long history with Audi's, and it was a choice between this car, and an A6. I am EXTREMELY impressed with this E-500. Comfortable, great mileage, and, wickedly fast when I get on it. And, even at speeds, extremely stable. Wished I had bought an MB a long time ago. I realize I will have some issues with it, but, I am a pretty competent mechanic, and look forward to tinkering on this beast.

rudyalozano 09-18-2013 07:36 AM

2004 E320 Wagon, 164,000 miles, runs like it was new. Great Car

Free 09-30-2013 05:33 PM

-Year 2004
-Model W211 E200K
-Miles 101K
-Mechanical issues - Leaking rocker gasket cover, front coil spring collapse, Timing chain replaced, MAF sensor replaced, driver-side door lock repaired, SBC unit (recall), fuel pump failure.
-Beginning to get tired of the repairs

Michael.Sinz 09-30-2013 11:51 PM

2004 E500 with 133,000 miles

The car is doing well, albeit I have also put in the time/effort/money to keep it running well. Just finished redoing all of the fluids (Engine, Transmission, Differential, Brakes, etc) plus requisite filters.

The only thing I think it needs now is one of the valve covers may be weeping a tiny bit of oil. I just cleaned it and will see next time I look.

My main wish is to get USB power into the glovebox. That would let me power a remote bluetooth audio device into the aux port in there. (Still looking how to best wire it into that).