MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W211) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211-20/)
-   -   0060 error code, balance shaft problem? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/507688-0060-error-code-balance-shaft-problem.html)

gimli 07-26-2013 05:28 AM

0060 error code, balance shaft problem?

hi guys,
My engine check light came out, it was throwing a 0060 error code, Continous camshaft adjustment (right). Incorrect position of camshaft. (P00015).

My mechanic said that it's due to the balance shaft. However when I checked my engine number, it's not within the range of engines with balance problem. I told him that it could be due to the magnet, but he said that if it was the magnet, it would throw an error related to the magnet. What do you guys think?

gimli 07-26-2013 05:55 AM

Btw my car is a 2008 e300 3.0 v6, mileage is about 90k miles

vettdvr 07-26-2013 08:33 AM

You probably still have a balance shaft issue. Granted it isn't in the number range. Just stuff $100 bills in it and it should be fine.

There is a YOUTUBE video of how to check for this problem takes all of 10 minutes to do. Run a you tube search and you will find it, then be able to see for yourself if it is balance shaft.

Plutoe 07-26-2013 10:08 AM

Clear the code and if it comes back-------and if the car is not new to you and not serviced by MB-----------sell the car!!!

gimli 07-26-2013 10:15 AM

The problem is it will cost me about 40 100bills to get it fixed!!!!!!! I have came across a tsb from Mercedes which says to replace the camshaft solenoid aka magnet. I have already erased the CEL and drove for about 30 miles. So far no issues. Btw just before that, I had some work done on the inlet manifold, there were some issues with the flap. Drove about 1 mile and that was when the CEL lighted up.

Btw I have found the video you mentioned, I will get a second opinion if the CEL lights up again.

gimli 07-26-2013 10:46 AM

I have already cleared the code.

The reason why I am posting this is because I thought that only a certain range of m272 engines are effected. If it can happen to mine, then it can happen to any m272 engine rite?

The code that I am getting also doesnt seem to be the typical balance shaft code (or is it??)

Originally Posted by Plutoe (Post 5726825)
Clear the code and if it comes back-------and if the car is not new to you and not serviced by MB-----------sell the car!!!

gimli 04-06-2014 05:04 AM

just to update, the problem was solved by replacing the camshaft solenoid aka magnet. It has been almost a year and so far I haven't had any errors. Just goes to show that stuffing $100 bills won't always solve problems! doing your homework and researching will certainly save you money!

Vince Cheung 04-25-2019 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by gimli (Post 5998643)
just to update, the problem was solved by replacing the camshaft solenoid aka magnet. It has been almost a year and so far I haven't had any errors. Just goes to show that stuffing $100 bills won't always solve problems! doing your homework and researching will certainly save you money!

Thank you for the updates. My car same problem

rocky472 05-02-2019 08:58 AM

I own a 2010 E350 with 88K miles. The car was recently purchased from a MB dealer and was fully serviced prior to delivery. It was dealer maintained by the first owner with a clean service record. Oil level is full. Initially the car was very smooth, no vibrations. Recently I noticed the idle was very rough. Initially I suspected engine mounts, but they checked out OK. A couple days ago I got a MIL light. Scanning for codes the car has the P00015/0060 code for the bank 1 exhaust cam timing retarded. I changed all 4 magnet sensors/solenoids. The MIL light still comes on intermittently and the code never goes away. I cleared it multiple times and it immediately comes back. Any thoughts on what to try next? Hoping this is not major issue

rocky472 05-03-2019 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by rocky472 (Post 7746679)
I own a 2010 E350 with 88K miles. The car was recently purchased from a MB dealer and was fully serviced prior to delivery. It was dealer maintained by the first owner with a clean service record. Oil level is full. Initially the car was very smooth, no vibrations. Recently I noticed the idle was very rough. Initially I suspected engine mounts, but they checked out OK. A couple days ago I got a MIL light. Scanning for codes the car has the P00015/0060 code for the bank 1 exhaust cam timing retarded. I changed all 4 magnet sensors/solenoids. The MIL light still comes on intermittently and the code never goes away. I cleared it multiple times and it immediately comes back. Any thoughts on what to try next? Hoping this is not major issue

I have an update on my cam timing issue. When the MIL light cam on I confirmed I had the P00015 code using my BlueDriver code reader. After replacing the cam magnets/solenoids I tried to clear the code and was not able to remove it. The BlueDriver reader was still reporting an active code. My assumption was I had a mechanical issue. Last night I tried my iCarsoft M900 V2.0 which only works with MB vehicles. It reported the code as being historical and successfully cleared it. Now both devices report no codes. I thought all vehicles would support a generic analyzer for basic engine diagnosis. Obviously, MB is different. Just dodged a huge bu$$et! Thanks to everyone that reached out to me.