MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W211) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211-20/)
-   -   Air Suspension Conversion to Strutmaster Coil Springs (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/509107-air-suspension-conversion-strutmaster-coil-springs.html)

markelia24 08-05-2013 08:07 PM

Air Suspension Conversion to Strutmaster Coil Springs

Hey guys, I have a 2003 E500 with a blown rear left bag.
I was going to buy a couple Arnott bags, but realized I didn't want to deal with a variety of issues that could still take place with other bags on my car and the compressor and all that crap if I replaced the bags.

So I went with a coil spring conversion kit by Strutmasters and I just bought them today, shipping soon. They're Eibach springs and I was wondering if anyone has done the same conversion, and whether or not I can lower my car past stock height on those springs.

I don't want to slam my car, don't want to be scraping on a daily basis or anything, but I want a sport low. Maybe about half an inch of wheel space. Does anyone know whether or not I can achieve a desired height with the Strutmaster Eibach Springs?

Here's the link for the Eibachs: http://www.strutmasters.com/Mercedes...4-e500-mod.htm

Thanks guys.

06E5004ME 08-05-2013 08:22 PM

Congratulations on decreasing your car's value! I wish you the best of luck on removing Airmatic and then reprogramming your computer, which is next to impossible without proper equipment.

markelia24 08-06-2013 12:48 AM

I have the proper equipment but thank you for your useless and rude feedback.

If I replace my rear bags and my front bags go out (which is more likely than not) then I will spend another 1 grand to replace those. Also, my compressor has been working its ass off to keep the rear up, and also has 160,000 miles on it, and is also likely to go out soon. Along with my dryer, my ride height sensor, and a lot of other things. My car is worth 6 grand right now for appraisal.

You're ignorant and full of yourself, ask questions before you speak in such a condescending manner.
I'm saving money, and these shocks are much more likely to last.
The conversion that I'm doing is simple and comes with a sensor that overrides the computer.
I enjoy doing canyon runs frequently, don't want to worry about airmatic problems when I do things like that.

And you have all wheel drive?
Go lick a frozen pole.

06E5004ME 08-06-2013 09:30 AM

You mad, bro? Umm, I've been rude by saying "good luck"... LOL. I've just pointed out that its not worth it, but no, you had to get all butt hurt.

Since I am already rude, why stop now. For $1500, you can cover at least 90% of parts from ARNOTT. Guess what, genius? They come with a lifetime replacement warranty. With 160k miles, ARNOTT components are more than likely to outlive the whole car. Like I said, genius!

Your car will lose that $1.5k in value by installing something that can be done to a Civic. Here is an idea, if you can't deal with spending a grand or two on suspension parts every 50-75k miles then get a Civic. While you are at it throw out SBC and then you'll have a really NICE 211. I like to think that engineers at MB know what they are doing by putting Airmatic on $60k-$70k cars and get paid for doing so, but WTF do I know, right? You are clearly an expert when it comes to 211s.

How do I know that your car will lose value? Before buying the 211, I was looking at Audi Allroads, which have basically the same air suspension set-up. I came across a seller who swapped all the air components and installed some "kit". Allroads jack up quite a bit, so that feature was gone. One of the springs had burst and was making a cracking sound, go figure. And what do you know, the seller was selling it for about $2k less than a comparable air equipped Allroad because every buyer asked him why doesn't the car raise up.

Canyon runs in a 2+ ton saloon? Not sure if trolling or just stupid. You've got a perfect car for that, actually there is a Canyon mode in the transmission if you look at your shifter (S/C) button. S is for Slow, C is for CANYON mode!!!

That kit comes with Eibach springs??? WOW!!! I remember buying a set for my first Audi and the total came out to $200. You clearly got a better deal for sure. The whole kit is probably worth $600.

Just accept that you got suckered in by the BS posted on their website. Replacing the dryer? What?! I have 152k on mine, never had to. Solenoid? Nope. Compressor? Still original. Ride height sensor? Original. All these parts that they say "fail" are fairly cheap to replace, too. Although, I do see the benefits of using no-name-brand shock absorbers over Bilstein's semi-active air suspension with adaptive damping system and integrated level control. Oh, wait...

I do have 4Matic, but lately I've been thinking of welding the differential and making it 100% RWD. I just LOVE getting stuck in the snow every winter in 3in of snow. I heard that will also help me with canyon runs.

You already asked this board what they thought of this and everyone told you to just replace the rear bellows. Not sure what you were expecting the second time. You ask and then you call me ignorant... Please.

Find me a frozen pole in the middle of the summer and I'll lick it.

Inspiredbenz 08-06-2013 12:46 PM

Hey guys lets just get along here :) good luck witht the new setup altough I prefer airmatic let us know how it goes (your feedback of experience between both)

markelia24 08-06-2013 05:25 PM

Thanks I appreciate it. I'll be sure to post a comparison.

markelia24 08-06-2013 05:51 PM

Arnott's warranty, if you read fine print, is a limited lifetime warranty. Not a lifetime warranty.
Huge difference, they cover you for a year.

And I am not contesting Mercedes' ability to engineer a car well. I know that my adaptive damping system works with my bags to help eliminate sway, but that's how my bags blew in the first place. You don't think that using sport mode takes a toll on your bags?
No, I don't have $700-1500 to throw down every couple of years, I've read plenty of reviews on the conversion kit and I've only read good things.

My previous post was about whether or not I should get air suspension or springs. This post was inquiring whether or not I can lower my car with the springs that I ended up purchasing after careful evaluation. There's a huge difference between this post and the last.

I didn't hear about strutmasters through web advertisement, I did research and discovered them on my own.

I'm capable of maintaining control over my car without bags or sport mode. I'm not interested in selling this car any time soon. My father pays for it, it's his old car, and the retail value doesn't concern me. I love it, it holds sentimental value to me, and I feel that springs will outlast bags more often than not. When I pay for my own car then yes, I'll put in the extra cash to have bags.

That's my opinion. I'm young, just got into cars and driving recently, wanted to know if anyone has had a similar experience. No need for your arrogance and cockiness. Don't give me that, "I wished you luck" crap.
Saying "Congratulations on decreasing your car's value!" gives off the impression that you're calling me stupid. Your sarcasm isn't necessary.
I'm not getting butt hurt. I simply don't bend over when someone disrespects me.

If you can't help me, or you aren't interested in hearing about my experience after my conversion, then why did you post on my thread?

I don't know what kind of "kit" this guy got, but the one that I've read about seems to be quite effective.

I don't compare Audi to Mercedes. Until recently Audi was a sad child compared to Mercedes. Even now Mercedes makes Audi look stupid.

You can get off of my thread. Thanks for uh, "trying" to help. In your rude and sarcastic manner.

06E5004ME 08-06-2013 06:08 PM

Not sure how you got "lifetime" being one year. Copied word for word from Arnott's website:

"Warranty Information: Arnott offers a Limited Lifetime Warranty for North American customers. Orders outside of North America come with a Two Year Warranty.

Arnott’s Warranty is non-transferable. If a part is defective, Arnott will either replace or repair that part, as long as it is within the Warranty period and proof of purchase is provided. Arnott does not offer a Warranty on parts used in commercial vehicles. Improper use or installation is not a manufacturer's defect.

Arnott is so confident you will be 100% satisfied with Arnott products that it offers you a 30-Day Money Back Guarantee and a 90-Day Return Policy on unused and uninstalled products."

All I am saying is that majority of members here do not support slapping these kits on our cars as there are economically feasible options out there without sacrificing the integrity and performance of these cars.

As for your "question", you should ask Strutmasters what kind of Eibach springs they use and see if you can find a lower spring through either them or directly through Eibach. But this is what I don't get. You can go out there and buy at least half decent shocks and springs by yourself and find that cheap Chinese "module" on eBay and still not spend $1.5k in parts.

First part of my original comment was sarcastic. Second was not.

06E5004ME 08-06-2013 06:16 PM

Using the search function of this forum yields the following:
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...sion-done.html

markelia24 08-07-2013 12:37 AM

Just saying, be careful with "Limited" Lifetime warranty because sometimes that has some details you aren't aware of.

Also, based off of feedback from my previous post (which I did not notice until now that you also helped me out on), it looks like I'm going to return the conversion kit and go with Arnott.
I appreciate your feedback earlier on the other thread, it was very helpful and talking to a few more people and reading a bit more, I must admit that I was wrong in looking towards springs.
I saw the thread you just posted earlier today and that also helped convince me.

I do appreciate your help, although that comment earlier, intended or not, came off as a bit offensive.
Once I read more about how awesome my ADS is, it further convinced me that I love having bags and do not wish to sacrifice the performance that they offer. I was mistaken in thinking that using springs to lower my car would improve my performance.

Again, thank you for helping me learn that lesson before it was too late.
I did not read enough before making my decision.
I apologize for getting a bit on edge with you earlier.

markelia24 08-07-2013 12:40 AM

And I wouldn't want you to lick a frozen pole, even in the winter.
I take that back.

That's messed up for anyone.
Licking frozen poles is no fun.

06E5004ME 08-07-2013 09:59 AM

No need to apologize. I did contribute in part. I just call them like I see them. I'm glad you decided to stick with OEM equivalent. I think it's actually easier to lower 211 with air simply by changing stock values in STAR. Not sure if you will have alignment issues after doing that though.

Inspiredbenz 08-07-2013 11:38 AM

Glad to see you too are getting along lol jk :)

Congrats on sticking to airmatic:cheers:

PewterGreyBenz 08-07-2013 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by markelia24 (Post 5740357)
And I wouldn't want you to lick a frozen pole, even in the winter.
I take that back.

That's messed up for anyone.
Licking frozen poles is no fun.

lol, you guys are too funny, but I am also happy you stuck with Arnotts, you wont regret it, and you can save yourself the labor, these guys helped me do mine.40 minutes per side

markelia24 08-08-2013 05:16 PM

Hm. I'll have to look into that because I'm also not familiar with how it affects my alignment.
Thanks for the help guys.

Now I need to return my coils and order the damn bags again, and wait for those to get here ):

Gah I already miss Mary. (Mary the Mercede)

Hey pewter how much did they charge you for the labor? I read something about Arnott having guys locally to install the bags for you and was wondering the price so that I can compare it to my local benz mechanic. Thanks

nysid2007 02-29-2016 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by markelia24 (Post 5739115)

If I replace my rear bags and my front bags go out (which is more likely than not) then I will spend another 1 grand to replace those. Also, my compressor has been working its ass off to keep the rear up, and also has 160,000 miles on it, and is also likely to go out soon. Along with my dryer, my ride height sensor, and a lot of other things. My car is worth 6 grand right now for appraisal.

You're ignorant and full of yourself, ask questions before you speak in such a condescending manner.
The conversion that I'm doing is simple and comes with a sensor that overrides the computer.
I enjoy doing canyon runs frequently, don't want to worry about airmatic problems when I do things like that.

Go lick a frozen pole.

Well Said !!! what an xxxx

nysid2007 02-29-2016 10:25 PM

I know its been a while ~ how did the conversion came out ? did it solve the air bla bla suspension night mare?

jrdanny 04-16-2016 10:25 AM

Sturtmaster

adding a strut master retrofit kit to my S500 2001 to get rid of the continuing problems with the ABC system that has now gone out again due to the pump...was going to junk the car but willing to invest the $1400 that gets rid of the problem for ever...even turns off the stupid warning light..anybody else had experience with this?

Abrahampoko 06-20-2016 05:17 AM

Abrahampoko

Originally Posted by 06E5004ME (Post 5739330)
You mad, bro? Umm, I've been rude by saying "good luck"... LOL. I've just pointed out that its not worth it, but no, you had to get all butt hurt.

Since I am already rude, why stop now. For $1500, you can cover at least 90% of parts from ARNOTT. Guess what, genius? They come with a lifetime replacement warranty. With 160k miles, ARNOTT components are more than likely to outlive the whole car. Like I said, genius!

Your car will lose that $1.5k in value by installing something that can be done to a Civic. Here is an idea, if you can't deal with spending a grand or two on suspension parts every 50-75k miles then get a Civic. While you are at it throw out SBC and then you'll have a really NICE 211. I like to think that engineers at MB know what they are doing by putting Airmatic on $60k-$70k cars and get paid for doing so, but WTF do I know, right? You are clearly an expert when it comes to 211s.

How do I know that your car will lose value? Before buying the 211, I was looking at Audi Allroads, which have basically the same air suspension set-up. I came across a seller who swapped all the air components and installed some "kit". Allroads jack up quite a bit, so that feature was gone. One of the springs had burst and was making a cracking sound, go figure. And what do you know, the seller was selling it for about $2k less than a comparable air equipped Allroad because every buyer asked him why doesn't the car raise up.

Canyon runs in a 2+ ton saloon? Not sure if trolling or just stupid. You've got a perfect car for that, actually there is a Canyon mode in the transmission if you look at your shifter (S/C) button. S is for Slow, C is for CANYON mode!!!

That kit comes with Eibach springs??? WOW!!! I remember buying a set for my first Audi and the total came out to $200. You clearly got a better deal for sure. The whole kit is probably worth $600.

Just accept that you got suckered in by the BS posted on their website. Replacing the dryer? What?! I have 152k on mine, never had to. Solenoid? Nope. Compressor? Still original. Ride height sensor? Original. All these parts that they say "fail" are fairly cheap to replace, too. Although, I do see the benefits of using no-name-brand shock absorbers over Bilstein's semi-active air suspension with adaptive damping system and integrated level control. Oh, wait...

I do have 4Matic, but lately I've been thinking of welding the differential and making it 100% RWD. I just LOVE getting stuck in the snow every winter in 3in of snow. I heard that will also help me with canyon runs.

You already asked this board what they thought of this and everyone told you to just replace the rear bellows. Not sure what you were expecting the second time. You ask and then you call me ignorant... Please.

Find me a frozen pole in the middle of the summer and I'll lick it.

Good morning I own a W220 2001 model and intend to convert the air suspension to coil spring. I need your advice on what brand of conversion kit to use. I've read comments about Strutmasters , Arnott and Suncore but I've not made up my mind.

Tokyodrift350z 01-21-2017 01:46 PM

Nice look

Yes there are ways to modify that strut setup to get a more aggresive sport look. You would need to disassemble strut

Originally Posted by markelia24 (Post 5738818)
Hey guys, I have a 2003 E500 with a blown rear left bag.
I was going to buy a couple Arnott bags, but realized I didn't want to deal with a variety of issues that could still take place with other bags on my car and the compressor and all that crap if I replaced the bags.

So I went with a coil spring conversion kit by Strutmasters and I just bought them today, shipping soon. They're Eibach springs and I was wondering if anyone has done the same conversion, and whether or not I can lower my car past stock height on those springs.

I don't want to slam my car, don't want to be scraping on a daily basis or anything, but I want a sport low. Maybe about half an inch of wheel space. Does anyone know whether or not I can achieve a desired height with the Strutmaster Eibach Springs?

Here's the link for the Eibachs: http://www.strutmasters.com/Mercedes...4-e500-mod.htm

Thanks guys.

Bizz Xx 01-13-2018 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by markelia24 (Post 5739115)

Go lick a frozen pole.

lmfaoo pretty crazy but I understand what you meant by saving money I'm trying to do the same the whole right side is leaking so don't have to much time

everyday my air suspensions drops it came to the point that if I wanted to upload my car for a stance nomination I could get selected

how was the conversion with the Coilover did you ever regret it and were you able to adjust the height