E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

HELP!!!MID-PIPE, DRIVER SIDE, RED HOT!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz E500 2005
HELP!!!MID-PIPE, DRIVER SIDE, RED HOT!!!!

I have a 2005 e500...no mods...today when i turned on the car...i dunno why...but i looked under the car and i saw the drivers side mid-pipe...with the fist cataylic converter...and i saw that it was freeking hot..red hot...realy...RED HOT....what could be the problem?....help plz
Old 03-02-2014, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
How long after the car was started did you notice this? Is there a check engine light? Was there any smoke or smell?

My theory is that you might have an issue with incomplete combustion and liquid gasoline making its way into the exhaust system causing it to burn up in the hot mid-pipe, much the same way combustion problems can cause melted catalytic converters. A picture, video, further information, or codes would help. It could be a bad situation if it represents a lean situation with the engine as lean mixture = higher EGTs, possibly due to retarded timing.

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 03-02-2014 at 01:03 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz E500 2005
Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
How long after the car was started did you notice this? Is there a check engine light? Was there any smoke or smell?

My theory is that you might have an issue with incomplete combustion and liquid gasoline making its way into the exhaust system causing it to burn up in the hot mid-pipe, much the same way combustion problems can cause melted catalytic converters. A picture, video, further information, or codes would help. It could be a bad situation if it represents a lean situation with the engine as lean mixture = higher EGTs, possibly due to retarded timing.

Ok..yeah i forgot to mention...this car a project car....thing that are broken;...the purge valve is broken...and the mid pipes were very loose...the one that got realy hot was the one i tried to tide...could that be a reazon?...and it gets hot not to long after i start the car....i post a picture tomorrow or ill make a video showing you what i did to the car...thank you
Old 03-03-2014, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Think too much fuel in cat, = really hot = fire. Fix the cause of fuel and you probably have a bad cat now after overheating.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
Yeah if fuel is actually in the exhaust system causing things, which is my theory, then your cats are probably melted and crumbled into ashy pieces. It sounds like whatever mod or fix you tried was not a good idea.