'Stop. Car too low' mesage appeared and gone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E350 & 2011 ML350
'Stop. Car too low' mesage appeared and gone

06 E350 4matic Station Wagon I have.

Yesterday, it was 15 degree overnight. I started the car and went to church. Within 2 miles, I noticed the rides are funky like no shock on rear. Then the message popped up. I stopped and inspected it from outside. Whole back of the car was dropped I couldn't be sure if rear tires has any clearance.
Since it was Sunday, I couldn't drive to MB dealer shop.

I slowly headed back to home with emergency lights on. after 2 or 3 stops, the message disappeared and noticed the ride is back to normal. Went outside to check and the rear body is up again. So turned around and went church.

Then, I parked my car in the garage. (I usually park my car outside). I drove the car evening with no problem. I drove the car this morning with no problem.

Is this happened due to cold weather (very windy too). or something wrong with the rear airmatic? if it is, why it doesn't happen again? (finger cross)

The car is out of warranty so i'm very concerned. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
New air springs on the rear will fix it right up!.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
You don't wan to run into a situation where you burn out the air compressor because it has to run too much to keep the leaking back end in check, which it most likely is. That's another $600 on top of your current problem. Get two Arnott Industries air suspension bags that are lifetime warranty using the coupon code MBSAVE12 and get 10% off
Old 11-26-2013, 10:46 AM

2006 E350 & 2011 ML350
ok..
I found the Arnott site.

2003-2009 E-Class Wagon (w/ ADS - 489 code)
2003-2009 E-Class Wagon (w/Airmatic, wo/4MATIC)
2003-2009 E-Class Wagon (w/o ADS - 489 code)

How do I know which one I should get? w/ADS? or w/o ADS.. basically how do I know my vehicle is equipped with ADS or not?

Is installation easy enough? any special tool that I need to do the job?

But first of all, was it because of cold weather? if my current rear suspension springs are bad, how come the vehicle is not sitting down at this moment?
Old 11-26-2013, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
With the cols weather it is possible for the leveling valve to freeze in the position the car sat in. When driving the actuator inside the valve does not move say when going into a dip in the road, the rear of the car raises say during a stop which would cause the valve to vent but being cold does not switch back to refill. I would say a bit of condensation in the air matic compressor or these valves. This is a common problem with air brakes in heavy trucks this is why the have air dryers and require relief valves on tanks to void the moisture IMO To be sure the struts are good, unhook the battery overnight and see where the level is in the morning.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:27 PM

2006 E350 & 2011 ML350
Well. For turkey day, I parked my car outside and it happened again this morning. I took other car and came back afternoon and restarted car and the lowered rear of the car is up again in 20 seconds.
What does it tell me? Water is in rear air matic compressors? or valves? If I replace the air springs with Arnatt's, will this probelm be gone?
Old 11-30-2013, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
It's pretty much telling you that the rear air suspension bags are done for, and they are leaking. Replacing the rear springs with Arnott parts will help... but you keep asking a question that could be answered by doing a simple leak test at a mechanic or at the dealership. Take it to them first, then if they confirm a leak order the Arnott parts with the discount code MBSAVE12, and either install them yourself or take it to an independent mechanic and have them install the air springs for you. End of story.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
If you are a DIYer then put some dish soap in a spray bottle, with the car in the raised, normal height for driving position, get under the car and spray around the strut bags as well as any air lines, start at one side and follow the line from one side to the main connector for the air line then to the other side. Any air leakage will be shown with bubbles. This could be a line or connection issue, although have not personally had issues with air struts on my car it makes sense if the bags were that bad then the car would not raise in the first place or lower quite quickly if the battery was disconnected from car. IMO
Old 12-01-2013, 04:45 PM

2003 Mercedes E320
Maybe it thought it was a Tesla?

\\ //
-( )