MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W211) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211-20/)
-   -   SBC Failure Denied Warranty (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/523819-sbc-failure-denied-warranty.html)

ftz111 12-13-2013 01:00 AM

SBC Failure Denied Warranty

My 2004 W211 E200 Kompressor developed an SBC failure and the car lost brakes. I've been reading around that there is a 10 year warranty on that part. However, my local MB dealer here in The Philippines claims that regional office has DENIED the replacement of the faulty SBC. Is there any way I can contest this? It is a very expensive part costing around P200k. I am well within the 10 year period. A faulty braking system (which they know very well is a design flaw) put me and my family at risk. I think Mercedes Benz should stand by their products and the reliability of their products. Don't we buy these cars because they are "safer"?

homeofstone 12-13-2013 09:12 AM

When was car first put into service? It could have been sold and put into service in 2003. When did you purchase the car?

Plutoe 12-13-2013 10:15 AM

My guess is that the laws of warantee are very different through out the world and any company selling worldwide is exposed to various in country laws.

That's the problem with an internet forum---some folks get a free lunch while other less developed countries pay for the lunch---just plain global economics at it's best.

vettdvr 12-14-2013 05:01 PM

Easy answer Don't buy MB with SBC brakes and stay out of this issue. I owned mine for one month of 10 yrs and bought a replacement car w/o SBC and I feel way more comfortable knowing it is a proven conventional brake system.

ftz111 12-16-2013 02:56 AM

Car was purchased new in 02/17/2004. It only has 33,000 km. or about 20,605 Miles when the SBC failed. The dealer said that regional office in Singapore denied the replacement because I failed to change my brake fluid every two years. Is that really a reason that they can deny me replacement of a known defective part with a vehicle of such low mileage?

efiftyfizzle 12-16-2013 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by vettdvr (Post 5875373)
Easy answer Don't buy MB with SBC brakes and stay out of this issue. I owned mine for one month of 10 yrs and bought a replacement car w/o SBC and I feel way more comfortable knowing it is a proven conventional brake system.

That's not an easy answer considering he already has the car and he is involved in the problem. Your suggestion is idiotic and not helpful. :crazy:

To the OP, I'd call Mercedes-Benz Corporate and address this issue... see what they can do. It doesn't seem fair for them to cover it in one part of the world, but not in others. If it's an issue with the car, it should be taken care of anywhere.

vettdvr 12-16-2013 08:28 AM

It is a requirement to change brakefluid every 2 yrs due to the system is not sealed against moisture. This can be a "excuse/reason" to deny warranty.

My suggestion was not a suggestion, it is what I did.!

ftz111 12-16-2013 07:48 PM

Thanks Efiftyfizzle! I'll try that. Yes. I agree that it is unfair for them to cover in some parts of the world and not others. And what they meant by me not changing my brake fluid for more than 2 years is that I did not return to the Dealer. I was having this done by an independent shop after 2007 which they said voided the warranty on the SBC. I smell B.S. though..

ibrian hb 05-15-2014 05:51 AM

guys i have the normal malfunction icon with visit workshop about the sbc, and ive been told my cars warranty is out of date and what ever happens im gonna be taking the charge for it as what do you guys suggest about this problem as stated any time the car will show the red screen the car has 187,000 km and has been to recalls about sbc before in 2007 but now the warranty is out of date the car is e320 2003 W211, any suggestions on what to do or say to the dealer

ibrian hb 06-04-2014 05:38 AM

?

vettdvr 06-04-2014 08:36 AM

What's normal. Failure is a STOP in RED in the Display. Otherwise you might have accumulator failure or other component. Why not have it scanned to check?

rediesel 06-04-2014 08:53 AM

The car has been in service over 10 years. It is past the 10 year warantee period by several months. Repairs are the owners responsibility. Ask the dealer how much the repair would be and compare with an indy shop or another dealer.