MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W211) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211-20/)
-   -   ovp relay location and replacement steps (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/539075-ovp-relay-location-replacement-steps.html)

trixs 04-20-2014 09:08 AM

HELP ovp relay location and replacement steps HELP

Hi guys I'm hoping some one can help me I'm trying to locate the ovp relay on my e 320 2005 here's a quick run down of what happened for me to think its that acting up so last week I pumped at a new gas station (not sure if that has anything to do with the car stalling) but at first I did. after lots of reading online I think its my ovp relay so Monday I went to work 20 min drive 20 km away and at the lights before the Hwy my car displayed the low battery convenient functions temporarily unavailable then just cut out as if I shut her down so I thought ok boost dead battery maybe I tried cranking it not knowing I was still in drive hahaha :smash: noob mistake nothing then I put her in park and she turns no hesitation get to work no more problems then Tuesday no problem Wednesday I'm off so I went to my local pond for some well needed fishing on my way there its about 10 mins 5 km 3 lights from home she stalls out and then I give to gear park crank starts a bit of hesitation not much so come Thursday all good now Friday while in the drive through at Tim Horton she shuts down while I had her in neutral and revving at 750 rpm (thinking its the new gas I put in still premium gas but they only offer regular and premium) ( Canadian tire gas bar I switched cause of the reward points I used to always pump at shell with there v-power premium gas )... so I wait till the lady handed me my coffee and I paid then cranked her up but she started after a bit of cranking one turn of the key but near the end of the turn get to work no problems so its good Friday no work I stay home now sat no problems but I never had to stop at any lights to or from work I timed it out good if it was a red coming up I just slowly approached till it changed now its Sunday Easter Sunday every thing is closed and I wanted to fish but first I idled in my parking space revving at 750 -1000 till it reached full heat maybe 7 mins 5 - 7 mins then I thought it was good till it cut as I was revving so this time I cranked it right away and it didn't start so I put the battery back in my c220 as she was sitting all winter long and cranked he one shot she started lol 1994 c220 love that car about 30 later I start my e 320 to see what happens and starts no problem now here I am any help would be appreciated I'm thinking ovp cause I don't thing its the new gas and also all winter its been a cold one the low battery convenient functions unavailable would pop up most days but then go away 2 mins later I had the battery / alternate checked they said there fine just the battery needed a good charge and that was 3 week ago or so so please I work nights and need to work tonight at midnight and I'm a big diyselfer I would love to avoid going to my indie for repairs thanks

trixs 04-20-2014 09:12 AM

Ps if there's any way to bypass this from happening till I can DIY or take it to my indie for repairs car. Has 120 000 km also I have not pulled any codes yet I don't have a obo ll. Reader also I forgot to mention the check engine light came on the finale time I started it up so I will pull the codes and post here and my c220 got a flat over the winter days on 2 tires so driving that car is a no go till I go get the one tire fixed I replaced 1 with the spare tire so any help by the end of the day would help thanks

trixs 04-20-2014 03:37 PM

pulled the code p0335 csp

So I found a friend that had a obo ll scanner and its the crankshaft position sensor so thanks for viewing my post and if my ovp rely needs to be replaced id still like some one to help if anyone knows where it is on the w211 thanks also I found a great DIY link for the crankshaft sensor on here https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/317256-crankshaft-position-sensor-location-03-e500-replacement-procedure.html
That's not the one with pics but its ok https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/358472-crank-shaft-position-sensor-diy-pics.html. heres a video I found as well this is from an sclass but looks just like the w211 http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...C32FBA9D908A2D

vettdvr 04-20-2014 03:39 PM

Are YOU SURE your alternator and regulator are working. Did you check battery voltage engine running lights on? What is it?

trixs 04-20-2014 05:20 PM

partsorce free testing

Originally Posted by vettdvr (Post 6015014)
Are YOU SURE your alternator and regulator are working. Did you check battery voltage engine running lights on? What is it?

ya the parts source auto parts did a test from running with lights to off then on it took 5 mins or so then gave me a print out witch I'm not sure where it is but I need to get a new crankshaft position sensor so ill just have them charge the battery as I change the crankshaft in the parking lot the guy said it just needs a good charge and if that doesn't fix it ill replace it cause its a factory Mb battery and I've only had the car for 6000 km and since November of 2013 it has 124000 now got it at 118 000 so I don't know when it has been changed better to change it so I know right and if I have to ill change the voltage regulator I'm a DIYselfer

trixs 04-20-2014 05:25 PM

forgot to say

Originally Posted by vettdvr (Post 6015014)

the guy said that there could be something stopping the charge from making it to the battery but the test results show a good alternator and battery no problems but he said that something could be stopping the charge so to be save new battery and crankshaft cause the code I pulled is telling me crankshaft

N_Jay 04-20-2014 08:22 PM

Do we have a separate Over Voltage Protection relay, or is that part of the function of battery control module in the trunk?

trixs 04-21-2014 01:24 AM

good question

Originally Posted by N_Jay (Post 6015211)
Do we have a separate Over Voltage Protection relay, or is that part of the function of battery control module in the trunk?

I'm not sure but when I talk with Mb about my crankshaft position sensor ill ask them cause I looked all over the truck for it and all I found was the battery control module but I believe ill also replace the battery just to be safe and if I get the low battery message again ill look into more options put ill keep every one posted also ill try to make a video on the removal of the crankshaft position sensor and post it for our e320 w211 mine is 05

Plutoe 04-21-2014 07:58 AM

The OP has led you on a wild goose chase by reading all the BS posts on the W124 forum about OVP relay---the W210 and W211 has loads of OVP they are called fuses, control modules and bla bla----the OP goes from a so called OVP to crank position sensor to battery control module----how can you help this dude---have him restate his problem rather that rambeling on about tires, windows, and ashtrays!!

vettdvr 04-21-2014 08:48 AM

IF you have the OEM battery my 'guess' is it is bad not taking full charge.